Homages where to draw the line
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Homages where to draw the line

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Garden City Park, New York, United States

Homages where to draw the line

Seems to me if you have to refer to Various Sterile , Alpha's and Parnis's by they watch they replicate its a copy Alpha Sub. Alpha SMP, Alpha Daytona, Parnis Uboat. Parnis Panari etc.
    MikeCfromLI

Re: Homages where to draw the line

This has been discussed many times. The forum accepts the concept of an homage as a sterile dial lookalike. Anything with a proprietary dial or that violates copyright is a fake and discussions or photos are not permitted in the forum. Not all members agree with this, but it is what it is and we have to make some sort of distinction.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

China would be a good place to start.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have no reservations at all if the homage is made by the company that originally created the watch (Longines Flagship Heritage for example). Once you get past that point, I want the homage to at least be something you can't get anymore and then modernized and tweaked in some meaningful way by the company offering it. MKII is especially good at doing this.
    Janne, marchone, DM71 and 4 others like this.

Garden City Park, New York, United States

Agreed however the point I am making is if you have to refer to a watch as to the name of the watch your copying that pretty lame as the examples cite, i saw a topic today about a 'parnis uboat' where is should be my big honking sized parnis that 'reminds me' of a certain uboat model. The name is being appropriated
    \
    heck the mk ii's are clearly sub homages but they at least have a name, some differentiation (raven, squale etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    This has been discussed many times. The forum accepts the concept of an homage as a sterile dial lookalike. Anything with a proprietary dial or that violates copyright is a fake and discussions or photos are not permitted in the forum. Not all members agree with this, but it is what it is and we have to make some sort of distinction.
    Last edited by MikeCfromLI; February 16th, 2013 at 00:27.
    MikeCfromLI

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ljb187 View Post
    I have no reservations at all if the homage is made by the company that originally created the watch (Longines Flagship Heritage for example). Once you get past that point, I want the homage to at least be something you can't get anymore and then modernized and tweaked in some meaningful way by the company offering it. MKII is especially good at doing this.
    Same here. Several companies make hommages to their own historic watches.
    I would accept if a company made a hommage of a model ( different manufacturer) long dead, but never of a current production model.

Also, I expect the hommage to be a full quality one, not a cheap repro.

i saw a topic today about a 'parnis uboat' where is should be my big honking sized parnis that 'reminds me' of a certain uboat model. The name is being appropriated
    Well I doubt we'll draw the line in a case like this.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

GTA, Ontario, Canada, the True North strong and free

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCfromLI View Post
    i saw a topic today about a 'parnis uboat' where is should be my big honking sized parnis that 'reminds me' of a certain uboat model. The name is being appropriated
    The name is being appropriated by the watch manufacturer or the forum member starting the topic? Big difference.
    bluloo likes this.
    DESIDERANTES MELIOREM PATRIAM

Maybe I should start calling Sellita, Seagull, Valanvron, Hangzhou, and Shanghai as ETA homages.

People often use words/phrases as a matter of convenience. It's probably best to avoid taking such examples too literally.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information