How Awesome / Terrible is Your Watchmaker?
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: How Awesome / Terrible is Your Watchmaker?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

How Awesome / Terrible is Your Watchmaker?

I must have lucked out. My watchmaker is pretty awesome. Sometimes when I have a watch authenticated, he will size it for free. Sometimes he will even do a light polish on it gratis. All for $20.

One time he forgot to charge me, because we were having a detailed conversation about ETA and such. When I found this out, I called him up and said that I don't need to pay because he forgot to charge me. I paid his wife anyway the next time I was around.

Downside is that he is grumpy at the start of the day.

Your experiences?

Re: How Awesome / Terrible is Your Watchmaker?

Very Awesome! Over the years we have become friends. And his wife is friendly with my wife. Since I'm older he calls me Uncle Bill. Today I went to his shop and asked him to check my Explorer 11 and Datejust (Rolex) on his timing machine and adjust. One was running fast and the other slow. He does this sort of thing for no charge since I take all my new used watches to him to overhaul. I felt kind of guilty because he was working on a customers watch but he just stopped what he was doing and said to come back in two hours.
    Two times he came over to my house and wanted to look in my box of old used Omega and Rolex parts to fix a customers watch. I had tried my hand at working on old watches but very difficult sourcing parts and I messed up more watches than I repaired. Once he said that I have so many good Rolex parts just going to wast so he made up a Rolex manual wind Precision for my wife. He did it on his spare time so took about a month.
    Yes, my watchmaker is Awesome!
    Last edited by billiybop; August 27th, 2014 at 02:04. Reason: explain about my watch 'daze'.
    hrossroth and Iyonk like this.

jah

He's a great guy! I have my Wakmann with him now for a polish and having the chrono hand aligned, this will be the most work he's ever done for me so we'll see how it goes.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Excellent - came highly recommended and did not disappoint.
    "Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

Breitling|Tag Heuer|Omega|Rolex|Ulysse Nardin

Had a good one...but he moved to Florida...
    I often wonder if was something I said, or didn't say...
    If I had known.....I would have asked him to stay...
    hrossroth and saxoo like this.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Among the best there is.

I have mostly Seiko so there's only one person I trust - Spencer Klein.

I used to go to this guy overseas that was highly recommended by another forum (PWC). Turns out that he just cleans the case. Very hard to find a watchmaker that you can trust.
    Last edited by peacemaker885; August 26th, 2014 at 18:56.
    seiko · orient · citizen · casio · timex · rolex · omega · victorinox · apple watch

Children need your help. Please share your blessings...
    GiveDirect -
    https://www.givedirectly.org/
    UNICEF - http://
    www.unicefusa.org
    CARITAS -
    http://www.caritas.org/
    NO KID HUNGRY -
    http://www.nokidhungry.org/
    Save The Children - http://www.savethechildren.org/

Quote Originally Posted by peacemaker885 View Post
    I have mostly Seiko so there's only one person I trust - Spencer Klein.

I used to go to this guy overseas that was highly recommended by another forum (PWC). Turns out that he just cleans the case. Very hard to find a watchmaker that you can trust.
    Can you explain what services the overseas guy claimed to provide and what he actually performed?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
    Omega | Breitling | Citizen | Tag Heuer | G-Shock | Oris | Dievas | Marathon | Seiko | Hamilton | Helbros | Sinn | Fortis

Searching the planet for: Kobold Endurance II in blue

My guy is great, but I haven't trusted him with any of my nicer/collectible pieces yet. I get the impression he's more interested in making the watch work great, which is fine until he decides that the hands need replacing or some original part needs to be swapped out. He's never done this to me, but I guess I'm gun shy. That said, everything I've taken him has come back fine, and he's very inexpensive. I took my Seiko Pogue chronograph to him and asked if he could give it a cleaning. He said of course, but he warned me that it would be expensive, maybe as much as $65 since it's a chronograph. :) (I may have misheard him as he has an accent but he's very reasonable on price). He was busy right then but was very adamant that he could work on Seikos all day long. Seeing as how he's from SE Asia, I suspect he's seen his fair share of Seikos. He cleaned, oiled and adjusted a vintage GP and Doxa and they were $70 each. He's also repaired a couple of old clocks for me.

Overall, he's been great. He let me into his shop a few years back for some photos. Very interesting subject for photography.

P2061475 by fortsonre, on Flickr

IMGP6978 by fortsonre, on Flickr

IMGP6971 by fortsonre, on Flickr

Hands of the master by fortsonre, on Flickr

IMGP6981 by fortsonre, on Flickr
    Surfrider likes this.

Tick Tock Shop in San Jose, California is awesome. Third generation watchmaker. Super cool and reasonable.
    Watchbreath and Surfrider like this.
    Nomos Zürich Weltzeit • Omega Speedmaster Pro • Sinn UX

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information