How to build your collection in terms of price?
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: How to build your collection in terms of price?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How to build your collection in terms of price?

Any experienced watch buyers have an opinion on the best way of building your collection?

I basically have three watches to choose from for a 30th birthday present to myself (Breitling Navitimer, Rolex Explorer and Omega Speedy). After spending a lot of time settling on the watches I liked (can't believe i managed to get it down to only three!) the only thing in my way is cost!

The watches vary in price with the Navi being £6k, Rolex being £4k and Speedy being under £3k. I like all the watches equally and KNOW that I will end up with all of them sooner or later!! Question is, in your experiences, should I go for the 'low hanging fruit' first and wait for another time when I may have the money for the more expensive watch or just go for the expensive option to get it done!

Which way round do people suggest? Has anyone gone for the cheaper option and regretted it?

Thanks, this is my first post, hurrah!

Re: How to build your collection in terms of price?

If there is no trade-off in how much you like them - get the cheapest. If there is even a slight difference in how much you like them, that's when things get more difficult.

Banned

Buy the most affordable one first. By the time you have the funds to get the others your tastes may change anyway. Good choices, by the way.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'd go w. the speedy or exp
    Adnan

Current 'pieces:

Rolex GMT II BLNR

Zenith Defy
    Omega SMP 2254.50
    Seiko SAGN007
    Ulysse Nardin Classico
    Hermes Slim d'Hermes

Gone:
    Audemars Piguet 15300
    Vacheron Constantin Overseas
    Jaeger LeCoultre Tribute to Deep Sea vintage chronograph
    Rolex DateJust41 126300

Rolex Daytona 116500

JeanRichard Terrascope
    IWC 3239 Laureus

Rolex Explorer II 216570
    Speedmaster Co-Axial 9300
    Omega Aqua Terra 2503.33
    Omega Aqua Terra 2502.80
    Omega SM300
    Speedy Pro 3572.50 w/ a Panda dial (three times)
    Speedy Pro 3570.50 (several times)

Oris 65

Born in South Korea - Canadian citizen - Living in Philly Suburb

If the financial hit is of no consequence to you for any of the watches for now, then my suggestion is to get most expensive one now and get cheaper ones later as saving for those will be MUCH easier/shorter.
    Chronic flipper...

I think first you've found three watches you like and are willing to pay for. So you're not going by price but rather what you like.

Don't try and buy a cheaper watch instead of an expensive watch, because then you wind up with a cheap watch you don't wear, the more expensive watch anyway, and spent more money than if you had just bought the watch you wanted from the getgo.

But from your three watches above, I'd rule out the breitling because they're getting big trendy and flashy. I still love breitling, and own a super ocean from 2000. But hate most of their new designs and direction. The rolex and omega are both classy and timeless, you can wear either of them effortlessly forever.
    ..............Rolex
    Omega
    Breitling TAG Heuer
    Seiko Citizen G-Shock

Quote Originally Posted by hpark21 View Post
    ... my suggestion is to get most expensive one now and get cheaper ones later as saving for those will be MUCH easier/shorter.
    Quote Originally Posted by marchone View Post
    Buy the most affordable one first. By the time you have the funds to get the others your tastes may change anyway. Good choices, by the way.
    The 2 sides to the coin
    ..............Rolex
    Omega
    Breitling TAG Heuer
    Seiko Citizen G-Shock

Taking you at you word that you like all watches equally, I'd go for the Speedmaster. Although I personally like it better than the Navitimer, my advice would be based on price, and the not-unlikely prospect of your tastes changing in time. All three of these watches can be said to be "iconic," but from what I read on the forums, there is a continuing interest and marketability of the Speedy (and perhaps the Rolex Submariner) that may eclipse any other watch anywhere near its range.

Being the least expensive, if tastes change, you have the least already invested (and the most in reserve for other additions), and can readily turn it over. And somehow, just in my own very personal opinion, I think it may be the least likely one to tire of.
    Last edited by dbakiva; October 10th, 2012 at 15:22.
    Over a half century of "just the right amount of odd."

I cast my vote with those who say buy the most expensive watch first, provided it's definitely on your absolutely-gotta-have list and the funds are readily available. Getting the others will then be less of a drag. It's also possible that once you get this watch you no longer will be in a hurry to get the others because the first one fills so many bills.

But I must add that any of these watches bought in any order sounds right.
    Rolex DeepSea Sea-Dweller | Eterna Super KonTiki 1973 Limited Edition

Which do you really like best, and what are your finances like? Make sure your finances should include some emergency money for when life throws a problem at you that costs money.

That said, there is a school of thought that you should go for the gusto now, because you may not be able to buy anything tomorrow (as in you blow a transmission or whatever and now have no play money).

And these are fairly common watches, you have picked some of the bread and butter watches on this forum, try to buy pre owned. There are many fine, reputable dealers selling these pre owned.
    Last edited by Gary123; October 10th, 2012 at 15:52.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat Evo, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Paul Picot Plongeur, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero.. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Chopard Pro 1, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub ti, Monta OceanKing, Breitling SOH II

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information