How to buy used luxury watches
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Watchbreath
  • 1 Post By mikeylacroix

Thread: How to buy used luxury watches

How to buy used luxury watches

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum! I have been into watches for a while but I am starting to really get into them lately reading blogs, following industry news, tracking sales on chrono24,here etc...

My question is simple, where can I find the best resources (guide/pro tips) to buying used luxury watches (tag/omega/longines/rolex etc)?

I have seen videos on YouTube and seen articles on different sites/blogs but none really state advice on buying watches through forums or even a pawn shop for that matter!

Where are the best deals and where should I steer clear of? There are many copies out there!

Thank you!

Re: How to buy used luxury watches

Spend time on wus learning. This your best source of information anywhere as far as I am concerned. Welcome to the forum.

Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk
    Swiss: ​Omega Speedmaster Professional (3573.50), Rolex Air King (114200), Rolex Submariner ND (114060)
    Russian: Vostok Amphibian
    German: Nomos Club Automat, Nomos Tangente Datum
    Japanese: Grand Seiko (SBGR051), Seiko Presage Urushi (SARW013), Seiko Orange Monster

And it won't be long before he stops calling TAG a luxury watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by gagnello View Post
    Spend time on wus learning. This your best source of information anywhere as far as I am concerned. Welcome to the forum.

Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk
    elyk nordneg likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The best bet will start with pawnshop first. Try not to buy pre owned watch which has too long history.

First, it will be difficult to obtain the originality data of the watch so that it will be difficult to verify the authenticity of the watch from internet. Becos lots of old vintage as times goes by will have parts swap out with non authentic parts or non original parts that will devalue the watch but still trying to sell as a full original watch by non honest seller. As info is shabby due to long years of history, it will be difficult for you to verify most of the parts.

Second, monitor the type of pre owned watches price you want from ebay or other popular website for a period of time before you buy the trigger on that watch if you think the price is hard to resist. Usually from ebay, some of the common prices are higher than market rate. That is why it didn't snatch up immediately but listed for long period of times. Same as pawnshop where the pre owned product is long unsold.

In buying pre owned watches, the best price to buy is the price where you can easily sell off without any loss or even a minor profit.

Finally, a lot of factors also determined the pre-owned prices. Like for example breitling. All their watches after 1998 are chronometer. That mean if a full watch set with chronometer cert, purchasing cert with warranty left and box will fetch higher prices, of cos it must be in good condition. While lacking anything like chronometer cert will reduce the overall prices compare to a full set.
    " A great time piece on your wrist show you are serious of time "

Lastly..buy from triton9 with peace of mind^^

Theres a series on ABTW which i thought was a good intro
    http://www.ablogtowatch.com/top-thin...-level-luxury/
    rdoder likes this.

With money? Though I guess some retailers may be interested in the barter system...

I seriously recommend you buy new from an AD for a while until you learn about what to look for. Jumping into the deep end with knowing how to swim usually does not end well.

I like watches.

Thank you! Saw that abtw series of articles, very good!

Thread Information