How to clean stainless steel watches?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: How to clean stainless steel watches?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How to clean stainless steel watches?

Can anyone tell me the best way (and preferably the least messy) way to restore the shine on my stainless steel watch.

Have had it for a year now and it just looks a bit tired and dull.

It's brushed steel btw

Thanks

Re: How to clean stainless steel watches?

Well if it's bushed steel, it's not really supposed to shine IMO..

If it has a lot of scratches, you could refinish it with a scotchbrite pad.

(You could also try Sunshine polishing cloth)
    Horological Mastermind

Search the forum for "scotch brite". Happy reading.

Kind Regards,
    Nick
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I put my all stainless watches into a ultra-sonic cleaner with ammonia for a couple minutes once a month or so. After I remove it, I brush the links, case back, etc with an old toothbrush. Next, fresh water rinse followed by a towel and compressed air blow dry. It doesn't get rid of any scratches, but it gets the metal really clean. On dive watches, I wash them with the dive extension open.

I typically wipe the watch and band with a cotton cloth with a very small amount of Flitz polish on it. It works great and leave no marks at all - just shine.

On the other hand . . . I can wear another watch!

Quote Originally Posted by dringer View Post
    I typically wipe the watch and band with a cotton cloth with a very small amount of Flitz polish on it. It works great and leave no marks at all - just shine.
    I had to google Flitz polish since I never heard of that before, thanks for the tip!

Brasso

This is what I do.

1) Take the bracelet off the watch.
    2) Remove the end peices, spring bars abd clasp from bracelet and soak in Dawn Soap and water.
    3) Submerge the reast of the bracelet into the soap water as well. let soak.
    4) With the watch Head I take a SOFT tootbrush and Dawn soap and gently scrub it.
    (If you have a crystal with an outside layer of Antirefelctive Coating then you must use painters tape to protect the crystal.)
    5) I take the harder toothbrush to the bracelet and clasp after soaking.
    6) After all is clean and rinsed thoroughly I dry by putting in a sock and spinning around and letting centrifugal force pull the water out of the tight areas then I dry with hair dryer.
    7) I grab my cape cod polishing cloth and go to work on the polished surfaces only. (If you use Cape Cod on brushed stainlees it will give it a polished look, so if you need to tape the brushed part of the bracelet then do it.)
    8) Then the watch head is thoroughly gone over with a cape cod cloth, especially between the lugs.

I have a dremel tool with several polishing heads that I use to make it ultra shiny.

The Springbars, tension pins and/or screws can accumulate dirt so I remove those as well and clean them. I am improving my method soon when I order an Ultrasonic cleaner as metioned above by another poster. Do not buy a cheap one from ebay, I did, it was worthless. Pay the extra $50 for a good one...

cheers and happy cleaning, I find it therapeutic.
    RickF. likes this.

When my bracelets get dirty and crud starts to collect in the corners, I spray WD-40 on a soft clean cloth and wipe.

If there's a lot of crud in the corners of the bracelet, which seems to happen on the finer mesh or link bracelets, I'll spray it on directly. Sometimes I have to use a soft small paintbrush to get down into the crevices and convince the dirt to leave.

This removes the dirt and grime and, I assume, lubes the moving parts. It doesn't really polish the actual metal like a metal polish would, it just removes dirt and collected scurf, but it does make the bracelet look good.

Sodiac
    Too many watches, only two wrists and never enough time...

Toothpaste works great on any metal. I use a soft or med bristle toothbrush on watches and all my wife's jewelry. It doesn't scratch and leaves them sparkling, and a nice minty scent rather than chemical.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information