How did you become interested in watches?
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: How did you become interested in watches?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

How did you become interested in watches?

Hello all, I was curious what kind of stories you all had on becoming interested in watches or getting to that WIS status. My own isn't that interesting but it will do. My wife's work sends us on a trip every year if she makes all of her numbers and last year's trip was to Montego Bay. While shopping as a small outdoor mall near the resort I saw a sign with a Rolex sign in the window and for whatever reason, having never held any interest in watches at all, I dragged my wife in and shortly after fell in love with the blue dial Submariner (the first grail of what is now many) and had my interest sparked in watches. Within a week of getting home I bought every watch magazine I could find to try and learn as much as possible and a week later I purchased a mint midsize Movado to begin my collection. Since then I have expanded to 28 watches (all would be considered affordables here), become a mechanical watch snob, become my local jeweler/fellow enthusiast's most regular customer, and have driven my wife CRAZY with my addiction.

Re: How did you become interested in watches?

A recessive gene.

A need to be at a certain point on time.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The discovery of this forum led to my interest. But I'm not entirely sure how I found it...
    omgomgyouguys likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by little big feather View Post
    A need to be at a certain point on time.
    So what took you from non WIS status to WIS status though

I guess I was born a watch geek. Even when I was little I loved my Dad's Omega. So I saved up and bought my first watch in 5th grade... a Casio digital. Shockingly it still works, although my taste in watches has advanced a little.

Never cared about watches growing up though I owned a few cheapie Casios and a Seiko which became my daily wear for 5 years. It was my driving instructor that got me interested when he showed off his wife's gift about 4 years ago. Said the crystal was scratch proof. That piqued my curiousity so I wanted a watch with a scratchproof crystal since my Seiko's crystal was scratched to oblivion. Bought a now discontinued Seiko SCVS009 off fleaBay (still in my collection, rarely worn though) and it's been downhill since.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

Quote Originally Posted by Zach97 View Post
    So what took you from non WIS status to WIS status though
    The loss of my Rolex GMT that I purchased in 1969...I needed to find another watch to fill the void.
    Last edited by little big feather; July 7th, 2014 at 05:14.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

I'm not sure exactly how, but @ 1 time I used to watch Jim Skelton (hate to admit it) & since then I started delving into every watch book/mag I could to learn more & here we are way too many watches later & still not enough @ the same time.
    Last edited by watchdaddy1; July 6th, 2014 at 23:14.
    Panerai 312 / Panerai 176 / Panerai 380 / Rolex 16600 SD /Seiko SBGA001 "Snowflake" /Omega 3573.50 "Sapphire Sandwich" /Junghans Max Bill Chronoscope /Sinn U1 / Longines Legend Diver -No Date / Anonimo D-Date./ Benarus- Bronze-Mo /Seiko 1970 Navigator Timer/Nomos Ahoi Atlantik /Oris 65 Diver / Seiko Turtle SRP777 / Zenith ​ El Primero Tri-Color/ Longines Avigation Big Eye.
    William

About 4 yrs ago on a trip to the Caribbean I replaced my 10 yr old daily wear Tag with my Breitling. On that trip I accumulated a lot of watch books and started voraciously reading everything I could on watch brands, movements, learning a lot on the forums etc. This has continued to this day with short "breaks" for the obsession Cant seem to stay away very long though as much as I try!

At this point I feel like I have a collection in which I truly enjoy wearing each watch fairly regularly with the exception of the Omega and G shocks. I don't want to dilute out the collection to the point that certain watches don't appeal to me as much. I enjoy taking time to research a watch thoroughly and seeing how it fits in and complements my current collection before buying. From a financial standpoint I would feel more comfortable buying a watch every 2-3 years as this can be quite an expensive hobby as many of you know

One of the many facets of this hobby I truly enjoy is learning about the esoteric nuances found within the many brands as it relates to their movements and manufacture and the technological advancements that develop. The history behind the brands and their creations also intrigue me as well.

Rolex 116523
    Rolex 326933
    Rolex 116610LV
    Rolex 116621
    Audemars Piguet 15400ST
    Audemars Piguet 26170ST
    JLC Master Compressor Navy SEAL's Diving Alarm
    Breitling Chronomat B01
    PAM 1499
    Omega Constellation 1967
    Titan Automatic
    G Shock