How do dual time/world traveler watches deal with half-hour-offset time zones?

Thread: How do dual time/world traveler watches deal with half-hour-offset time zones?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How do dual time/world traveler watches deal with half-hour-offset time zones?

This is mostly a curiosity - but it looks like watches such as JLC Hometime, many dual time Reversos etc seem to assume that "home time" and travel time differ by multiples of an hour. Sometimes they don't! If you travel to India, for example. Right between "Karachi" and "Daka" - and a lot more common for a business destination than either of these two.

Is it correct that watches of the kind I mentioned above don't really support half-hour-offset timezones?

Re: How do dual time/world traveler watches deal with half-hour-offset time zones?

No, mechanical's typically don't manage the 1/2hr shifts. I'm sure the analog quartzes will, especially of course the atomics and GPS driven ones like the Seiko Astron .

Re: How do dual time/world traveler watches deal with half-hour-offset time zones?

World time quartz watches usually have a menu of cities to choose from, allowing for each city to have any necessary offset from home city time.

Note the cities around the chapter ring, with Delhi between DAC and Karachi.

Last edited by yankeexpress; January 27th, 2015 at 07:51.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account, Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

10 reasons to dump facebook:

https://www.komando.com/tips/527072/...cebook-in-2019

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Something like a Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle which has 37 time zones

Very few mechanical watches deal with the half-hour time zone difference. The Glashutte Original Grande Cosmopolite Tourbillon is one that comes to mind.

Same timezone as you. Same problem. That is what has kept me from getting a GMT watch, and has me looking for a Worldtimer instead. Bit of a shame, as I had a massive thing for the Nomos Zurich.

I guess one way to use a GMT is set it to Karachi and add half an hour. Yes, I realize the irony. :)
    Core: ALS 1815 Up/Down, AP RO, Breguet Marine, Blancpain FF MilSpec, JLC Master Geo, GO Panomatic, Rolex BLRO, Panerai 688, Rolex Exp2 polar, Cartier Santos XL ADLC, Zenith El Primero tricolor, [Empty Slot]
    Secondary: Oris Brashear chrono, Oris 65/42 green, Oris 65/40mm, Oris 65 bronze, Rado Capt Cook LE, Seiko Prospex Padi, Doxa 1200T Pro
    Others
    :Tissot T-Touch Expert, Swatch S51, Seagull 1963, Sturmanskie Yuri Gagarin, Fortis Marine Master, G-Shock GMW-B500
    FS: Seiko Orange Monster Gen2, Gruppo Gamma Vanguard, Squale Milsub
    Gone: Tudor Chrono Heritage, Hamilton Khaki Field, B&R03-92, Seiko SKX007, Orient Sun&Moon, Seagull M172S, Rado Vintage Diver, Hamilton Pan Europ, Orient Mako, Meistersinger Pangaea, IWC Aquatimer, PAM 24, JR Aquascope, Tudor BB Black, Longines Legend Diver, PAM 241, Bernhardt Anchor3, WUS GMT watch, Damasko DB2, Helson Shark Diver, Seiko 5, Ventus Mori Brass, Glycine Airman, Eterna Kon-Tiki, Zelos Gallant, Sinn 103 A sa B, Oris 65/42 blue

If you're always going to have the GMT hand set to India, there's nothing stopping a watchmaker from shifting the GMT hand by half-an-hour. But, of course, now you have a GMT watch that doesn't match most other time zones.

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

If it's a mechanical GMT, you track it in your head. If it's a Worldtimer, you might be lucky enough to have your city of interest listed on the bezel between hour marks. Of course if it's digital, you can have it all.

I had a conversation about this with a sales person at Tourneau in NY. He seemed quite familiar with this and said few mechanicals will track a timezone with a .5 hr differential and you must + or - the 1/2 hr mentally after setting the GMT on the nearest full hour, as vkalia said.

Life is full of challenges.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero .. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub 106, Muhle Glashutte Rasmus blue

Most mechanical GMTs work in 1 hour increments but I belive there are some that work in 0.5 hr segments.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information