How do most people ship watches from the US to Canada?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rattrapante Pete

Thread: How do most people ship watches from the US to Canada?

How do most people ship watches from the US to Canada?

I posted this over in TZ but not getting a lot of response so I thought I'd try here.

I'm trying to find a consensus on how people typically send watches from the US to Canada with insurance and tracking.
    My first impulse was to use USPS priority express international, but kept hitting roadblocks
    - Priority Express International doesn't allow watches
    - Priority International does but max insurance is $675 to Canada.

I'm looking into parcel pro, but would like to see what everyone else usually does.

thanks
    Shawn

Re: How do most people ship watches from the US to Canada?

Insurance will always be a problem. The Post Office usually has the lowest customs clearance fees for the buyer. I'm in Canada and prefer the Post Office. But I understand why many US sellers don't want to ship here. Maybe you can find a third party insurer.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

It is rather problematic. If you use a courier, the buyer (in Canada) gets hosed with Customs duties, plus often a hefty service charge from the courier. This can exceed 20% of the watch value, and often this makes the "deal" unattractive.

All the watches I've bought from the US have been under $1000, so I've just accepted the risk of sending via USPS/Canada Post. If it was a $10K piece I'd be asking whether it might not just be easier to buy locally, given courier/duty charges. Best of luck.
    tony20009 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

the U.S. seller I was working with while I was in L.A. uses USPS with a third party insurer,

mind you they sell on a regular basis and have an account with GS4,

they stopped using UPS and FedEx because there were too many problems (custom and theft),
    one seller had 2 Rolex stolen by FedEx (domestic, shipping within the U.S.),
    another seller had 2 Cartier stolen by custom it seems (watches were held in Canadian custom, and when returned back to the seller, the watches were gone, boxes were there, but no watches)

again, depending on the value of your watch and what sort of deal you had in place with your buyer

When I sent my watches to Al at Archer watches in Canada from the US, I shipped them USPS Priority, insured through USPS as "horological instrumentation for repair". I addressed it to Al's address without his business name. Shipping anything marked "Jewelry" or "Watches" is an invitation for theft.

It's really sad that we don't have reliable international shipping in this day and age.
    Nomos Orion Anthracite; Destro watches: Ω "Great White" GMT, MKII Blackwater, Sinn EZM1 LE, IWC 3536-001, MKII Kingston, Precista Speedbird I, Casio MR-G120, Casio GW-5000, Sinn EZM2; Former Watches: Corvus Bradley

Which ever carrier you chose make sure you read all the fine print. Most of the insurance doesn't cover watches.

If it's something worth a grand or more FedEx International Priority is worth considering--it'll probably cost you $50-$100 depending on location and insurance but this service includes brokerage so you'll only pay HST and a $10 or so handling fee.

USPS International Priority isn't cheap either, with FedEx the item ships quickly and additional charges are straightforward so the upcharge gives you some piece of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by enkidu View Post
    When I sent my watches to Al at Archer watches in Canada from the US, I shipped them USPS Priority, insured through USPS as "horological instrumentation for repair". I addressed it to Al's address without his business name. Shipping anything marked "Jewelry" or "Watches" is an invitation for theft.

It's really sad that we don't have reliable international shipping in this day and age.
    No matter what you call it, it's still a watch and subject to the insurance limitations. I could not find a way to send a watch to Archer and properly insure it.

Not sure where you are located, the way that I've over come this problem is by setting up a US PO Box close to the Canadian border. Cheers....🍻🍻

I can relate to this very well having purchased several watches from the US. Just like Rattrapante Pete said, the added fees are crazy. I bought an $800US watch and when it was finally all added up it was closer to $1100CDN and that's when the dollar was almost on par. I bought my Hammy from Ashford and they paid for shipping but I still got hit with a $58 local courier service charge. I try and request USPS as they are usually cheaper but not every seller/business uses them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattrapante Pete View Post
    It is rather problematic. If you use a courier, the buyer (in Canada) gets hosed with Customs duties, plus often a hefty service charge from the courier. This can exceed 20% of the watch value, and often this makes the "deal" unattractive.

All the watches I've bought from the US have been under $1000, so I've just accepted the risk of sending via USPS/Canada Post. If it was a $10K piece I'd be asking whether it might not just be easier to buy locally, given courier/duty charges. Best of luck.

Thread Information