How do we compare/assess the quality of quartz movements (Jewelled or not)?
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: How do we compare/assess the quality of quartz movements (Jewelled or not)?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How do we compare/assess the quality of quartz movements (Jewelled or not)?

Hello everyone,

I am trying to understand how to assess the quality of quartz movements.

The watch at the center of my quest is the Edox Class-1 Chronoffshore 10020 37R NIR (as seen in the attachement) sporting a Edox 10 Ronda 5040.B Quartz mov't.

First, I wanted to know if the mov't had jewels but as I was trying to find the answer to that, I fell upon a thread on WUS that basically said that the Edox 10 Ronda 5040.B Quartz mov't was very basic, if not mediocre. Some posts in the thread went on to assert that $2000 USD was way too much for this model.

Name:  Edox Class1 Chronoffshore Big Date 10020 37r NIR.jpg
Views: 1222
Size:  108.8 KB

At this point, I am already in love with this model. It breaks my heart that it might be a 'fraud' so to speak. Although the price on most websites is around $2300 USD, one vendor is offering it to me for $1800 USD...

My ensuing enquiries go like this:

1- Is the Edox Class-1 Chronoffshore 10020 37R NIR a 'fraud' luxury-ish time piece as are swiss made Tendence watches or Invicta (sorry for the hate)?
    2- Would getting it at $1600-$1800 USD make it a fair purchase?
    3- Is the Edox 10 Ronda 5040.B Quartz mov't jewelled at all?
    4- For future quartz mov't purchases, how should I go about to assess/compare them?

I thank you for your time and your knowledge!

Cyv

Re: How do we compare/assess the quality of quartz movements (Jewelled or not)?

Jewelled quartz movements are certainly nicer/better than non-jewelled, but for that price on quartz, you'll want HEQ and beyond - thermally compensated and all the other fluff.

And, to be honest, if you just wanted your quartz movement to be hyper accurate, you could pick up something in the Precisionist line and walk away with a lot of extra money in your pocket.

Do you want the watch because of the look/style? Or because of the movement. If you just want the jewelled question answered, the Rhonda site will spill the beans. Here's the spoiler - the Swiss-made Ronda 5040.B has 13 jewels and is gold plated. There is also a 'Swiss parts' version of the same movement with half the jewels and nickel plating over gold. It has an excellent battery life of about 7 years, and all-in, this is a serviceable quartz movement - many are not.

But, it's not HEQ, thermo-compensated, or any of that stuff.

Me, I wouldn't buy it. I'm not a fan of the styling, so I doubt I'd be willing to fork over $100 for it, but that doesn't mean it's a bad watch. If you like it and can afford it, then no one other than you can decide if the price is good or not.
    Last edited by CADstraps; October 10th, 2013 at 21:58.
    Influence is like the wind...

CADstraps, your post was most helpful. I am very new to the 'inside' of watches so that was a great input.

Indeed, it is mostly the look of the piece that pleases me. However, I just wanted to be sure it wasn't 'all looks' as they say (since we're above the $1k threshold). As I understand it, this Ronda caliber isn't cheap, it's just not High Accuracy.

Again, thanks for the input!

Cyv

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

The 5040b is known for having problems with the quick date setting what they call an extreme acceleration. See manual, pdf available at ronda.ch.
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; October 10th, 2013 at 23:06.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

People forget that a lot of the same indicators of quality for mechanical movements can apply to quartz as well. It was only after the Swiss discovered that they couldn't sell quartz watches at mechanical prices that they gave up trying to make really finely crafted quartz movements in the same vein as their mechanical counterparts. The best quartz movements can have a lot of hand work in them, a high level of finishing and even decoration, etc.

More jewels also help to minimize wear, and then there is of course the matter of accuracy. The better modules will use higher frequencies or thermal compensation to deliver better accuracy than a normal quartz watch, and the best of these also feature aged crystals to ensure that their timekeeping will remain good over time. Other advances have also been made by some manufacturers; the Grand Seiko quartz movement is designed not to need servicing for 50 years besides battery changes and has a date that changes in a split second.

Honestly, I don't see how the watch you linked can possibly be worth it. At that price you can get a Valjoux 7750 mechanical chronograph with a movement worth many times more than that quartz. Or for that price you could also get one of the aforementioned Grand Seiko quartzes, or a Citizen Chronomaster (most accurate wristwatch in the world being produced now).

Tsujigiri, thank you for your input aswell!

I gather that your vantage point for 'value' - if I may say - is centered on the the movement. Halas, I confess that the the look, style and finish of the outside of the piece is equally as important in my book... In that respect, the Grand Seiko and Citizen Chronomaster are faaarrrrr from my taste.

Thank you nonetheless!

I think casing and style get overlooked quite often here. After all, an ETA 2824 can be had for around $200 US, so the rest of any "value" must lie in the case and bracelet.

There are poorly made cases and well made ones. Mineral crystals and sapphire crystals. Folded link and solid link bracelets. Any of these factors subtracts or adds, respectively, to the value of the watch AS A WHOLE. Unless you move into the manufacture realm (and I include Seiko here) you aren't paying for the movement pre se anyway.

I have a Tag Heuer quartz chrono that was $1,500 fourteen years ago. Granted, it has a 251.262 in it, one of ETA's better quartz movements, jeweled but not TC, and IMHO it was a reasonable price because it does have an excellent case and bezel, solid bracelet, and a design and style which I like very much. The Edox you're considering isn't my style, but it looks to be a solid, well-made watch: sapphire, 30 ATM WR, screw-down pushers, etc., from a Swiss company that's been around since 1884. If you like the way it looks, go for it. It's not a cheaply made watch by any stretch.

Is a Bell & Ross with a stock 2824 "worth" $4,000? Is a Rolex with an "in-house" but factory-made movement worth $8,000? For that matter is my TSAR, with one of ETA's lower-end quarts modules, worth $760? Maybe, maybe not. For the money there are other watches I'd get besides a B&R or Rolex, but I think the TSAR is a helluva watch.

My long, rambling point is for 90% of the watches discussed on these fora what's inside is only a small part of the "story," a footnote almost to the bigger picture of whether you think it's a cool watch.
    Last edited by Camguy; October 11th, 2013 at 00:57.
    Dave0944, ken_sturrock and Sean779 like this.

This watch is not a fraud, even though it costs too much. Based on the movement in it, it is overpriced but not by much if you compare it to the popular model by Tag Heuer below that has the same movement in it and retails for well over $1000. Many seem to forget that the Edox is also gold plated which bumps the price up, I know, the gold on it is probably worth not more that 30 bucks, but nevertheless it is a reason to increase the price of any watch disproportionally.

I don't know where the OP is planning to buy the watch from, but in the US Edox sells for 50% or less of MSRP, so I would say that what they ask for it is kinda high. I understand that if the looks are not to someone's taste, the watch is not 'worth' a dime, and vice versa, but in this case, the watch indeed feels like a $1000 watch in person, it has great fit and finish, that I would say surpasses that of the Tag, serious wrist presence, is heafty, and the crown screws down smoothly like in butter. It's not a fashion or 'bling' watch IMO, but the most important thing to consider if it's worth it is what it would fetch on the second hand market, my best guess is that a like new condition in Europe might sell for a 1K, but in the US I really doubt it.

Last edited by monza06; October 11th, 2013 at 00:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyvult View Post
    I confess that the the look, style and finish of the outside of the piece is equally as important in my book...
    One caution would be that over time the gold plating will wear off, and eliminate any illusion of 'finish'.

Quote Originally Posted by cedargrove View Post
    One caution would be that over time the gold plating will wear off, and eliminate any illusion of 'finish'.

That's the problem with gold plating on ANY watch, or are you implying it should've been solid gold instead of plated, in which case we would be discussing how a watch that has $1000 worth of gold in it, costs $12 000 ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information