How do you buy watches?

View Poll Results: How do you buy watches?

Voters
42. This poll is closed
  • Make a decision to buy first.

5 11.90%
  • Find a watch you like first.

37 88.10%
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: How do you buy watches?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How do you buy watches?

I'm curious as to how fellow WIS go about with their purchase.

Do you say, "Let's buy a watch today." then go to the AD and choose a brand/design you want or leaps out to you, or do you never say "Let's buy a watch today." but inadvertently encounter a watch you like and eventually end up with it (or rule it out after learning more about it.)?

I'm the latter. I choose first, then go to the AD.
    Final Collection:
    AP RO 15300 (White Dial)
    Rolex Explorer II (White Dial)
    RM 005 WG
    PP 5167A
    AP FC Diver

Hers:
    Rolex GMT IIc Two Tone
    Cartier Ballon Bleu
    PAM 111

Re: How do you buy watches?

I don't think I've ever said "let's go buy a watch today", lol.....

I have a list of watches I want, different styles & price ranges. If the opportunity comes up & I can afford it at that time I'll buy it.

But I always know exactly what I want. For example: I'm now waiting for Stowa to release it's new 2801 hand winding Flieger....but if I win (or atleast make good money in) one of these big poker tournaments I'm playing in December then I'll probably go out & get me an Omega Speedmaster 3573.50
    Rolex GMT Master II BLNR "Batman"
    Omega Speedmaster Pro 3573.50
    Omega Seamaster Cosmic c.1968
    Oris Williams F1 Day/Date
    Oris LE 1945 Flight Timer
    Stowa Marine Original
    Stowa 2801 HW Flieger
    Longines Conquest Heritage
    Longines Grande Vitesse GMT Chrono
    Longines Hydroconquest Blue
    Longines 1972 Vintage
    Seiko SKX009
    Seiko SARB017 Alpinist
    Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military
    Steinhart Ocean One Vintage Dual Time

Friends don't let friends buy Invicta

Quote Originally Posted by HPoirot View Post
    I'm curious as to how fellow WIS go about with their purchase.

Do you say, "Let's buy a watch today." then go to the AD and choose a brand/design you want or leaps out to you, or do you never say "Let's buy a watch today." but inadvertently encounter a watch you like and eventually end up with it (or rule it out after learning more about it.)?

I'm the latter. I choose first, then go to the AD.
    For most us us that would be an example of the tail wagging the dog. I am interested in watches (and lots of other things) so if a watch catches my eye either when out shopping, surfing the net or browsing Ebay then I might look further, do some research and ultimately buy. The situation you describe is more like what one might do when buying a quart of milk.
    Last edited by John MS; November 29th, 2011 at 17:51.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

From the looks of it, most here buy in bulk. Must be cheaper that way.
    drickster likes this.

I don't think I've ever said "let's go buy a watch today" either. When I buy a watch for myself I do a lot of research before I buy. Even if I have been researching the watch itself, I still feel I have to research the best price and place to buy. I think it's kind of like buying a car for me. I have to know more than the salesperson (which isn't that difficult to accomplish) to feel comfortable about making the purchase. It dose not matter whether it's an inexpensive watch or an expensive watch. Some people tell me I think too much in general and it certainly does not stop when it comes to watch buying.

I buy watches the same way I buy almost everything, first I decide what I want/need, then I do the research about that product, and finally I either decide I don't want/need it or I buy it.

With that said I've been out shopping before and purchased something that caught my buy on impulse.

JwY

The only times where I went with option 1 were before WUS when my only watch broke.
    My Tissot Seastar 1000 (2011 Edition) Review:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f74/tis...on-560425.html

One of the abiding mysteries to me, regularly evidenced on watch forums, is the guy who posts, "I have $x to spend; what should I buy?" Sometimes it's huge bucks, like recently a guy wanted ideas for a US$20,000 watch.

The concept of large piles of money burning a whole in one's pocket, so that it must be spent on an as-yet-unidentified watch (or anything else), is utterly foreign to me.
    Mark
    ---------------------------
    Seiko Spring Drive Chronograph SPS003
    Oris TT1 Titan Diver Chronograph 1000M

IWC Portuguese Chronograph 3714-01
    Grand Seiko Spring Drive GMT SBGE001

Quote Originally Posted by 124Spider View Post
    One of the abiding mysteries to me, regularly evidenced on watch forums, is the guy who posts, "I have $x to spend; what should I buy?" Sometimes it's huge bucks, like recently a guy wanted ideas for a US$20,000 watch.

The concept of large piles of money burning a whole in one's pocket, so that it must be spent on an as-yet-unidentified watch (or anything else), is utterly foreign to me.
    Good point. I usually find something I like & start saving up for it. Sometimes I save a lot faster than others & sometimes something else comes along & distracts me, lol.
    Rolex GMT Master II BLNR "Batman"
    Omega Speedmaster Pro 3573.50
    Omega Seamaster Cosmic c.1968
    Oris Williams F1 Day/Date
    Oris LE 1945 Flight Timer
    Stowa Marine Original
    Stowa 2801 HW Flieger
    Longines Conquest Heritage
    Longines Grande Vitesse GMT Chrono
    Longines Hydroconquest Blue
    Longines 1972 Vintage
    Seiko SKX009
    Seiko SARB017 Alpinist
    Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military
    Steinhart Ocean One Vintage Dual Time

Friends don't let friends buy Invicta

Quote Originally Posted by 124Spider View Post

As I might be the guy who wanted ideas, I'll tell you why.

I had a watch picked and likely would have purchased it if the dealer had it when I walked in. I've been wanting it for while and was ready to buy. Now it will be January before I can inspect it. So while I am waiting, I thought I'd take advantage of the knowledge pool here and ask for ideas. As a result, I have two new options that I had not previously considered. Now I am reconsidering my original position because the two new contenders would add totally different variety to my collection. One is a dressy watch (still sporty though) which I don't even have one as I just have never found one I liked (I'd like something with personality, something interesting to look at). And one did turn up as a result of my inquiry.

So, the thing to understand about asking for ideas is that we don't always know everything, and can benefit from the input of others, regardless of how much we're going to spend. And the prerogative to change one's mind is not restricted to women, nor by how much we're going to spend.
    Last edited by Gary123; November 29th, 2011 at 23:05.
    JWM69 likes this.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero .. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub 106, Muhle Glashutte Rasmus blue

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information