How do you call your watch?

Thread: How do you call your watch?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How do you call your watch?

Hi,
    the new neighboring thread about connection between us and our watches made me wonder if someone calls his watches with names different from brand... Buddy? Pussy? Well, I don't, but who knows.

Also I noticed that speaking about a watch people use different gender. That is my question. What gender do you use relating to a watch in different languages, or is it something I miss and you can call Rolex - he, and Omega - she in English?
    In Russian language you can't call watch - neither HE nor SHE. You call you watch - THEM!!! So you can't define the gender of a watch in my culture.
    <hr /><a href=https://forums.watchuseek.com/f78/watch-through-lenses-chronicles-one-obsession-638371.html target=_blank>https://forums.watchuseek.com/f78/wat...on-638371.html</a>

Banned

Re: How do you call your watch?

Quote Originally Posted by igorycha View Post
    Pussy?
    In before the lock!

....igorycha - I think that word may have different meanings and some of our English speaking crowd will take that wrong. I'm a lot of things, some not so good, but I know I certainly wouldn't want anyone to call me that!

Hi,
    the new neighboring thread about connection between us and our watches made me wonder if someone calls his watches with names different from brand... Buddy? Pussy? Well, I don't, but who knows.

Also I noticed that speaking about a watch people use different gender. That is my question. What gender do you use relating to a watch in different languages, or is it something I miss and you can call Rolex - he, and Omega - she in English?
    In Russian language you can't call watch - neither HE nor SHE. You call you watch - THEM!!! So you can't define the gender of a watch in my culture.
    I refer to my watches by the makers name, the model name or model number. Which one depends on the context. At times my cat may be called kitty and I might refer to my wife as she.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

whoa!!!

i also refer to it by the brand name. objects are objects imo.
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

EHV

Yes, I take the clinical approach too. No nicknames, no...uh.....
    This is serious business!

Quote Originally Posted by ulackfocus View Post
    In before the lock!

....igorycha - I think that word may have different meanings and some of our English speaking crowd will take that wrong. I'm a lot of things, some not so good, but I know I certainly wouldn't want anyone to call me that!

In French, we say SHE for a watch because we say "une montre", "Une" been use for feminine person or object.

Honestly, i never thought about calling my watches anything else than, my watches or the brand name, but you have funny examples listed, i should rethink that
    Last edited by DM71; December 1st, 2010 at 16:53.
    ~ Daniel ~

Quote Originally Posted by ulackfocus View Post
    In before the lock!

When a 6 year old kid says PUSSY does English speaking crowd always take it wrong? See what I mean? Kids don't know slang language of adults. Sometimes I wonder how we, adults, spoil our languages, when a word, once with normal meaning, now is being avoid (by Any language speaking crowd), just because it is spoiled by todays decadence cultures...
    <hr /><a href=https://forums.watchuseek.com/f78/watch-through-lenses-chronicles-one-obsession-638371.html target=_blank>https://forums.watchuseek.com/f78/wat...on-638371.html</a>

Banned

Hi,

Right. That's часьи, chassi, or directly translated into english, "the hours". Took me quite a while to figure that one out.

In italian it's "il orologio" (masculinum), in german it's "die Uhr" (femininum) - but if it refers to a specific type of watch, it can differ - "der Chronograph" (masculinum). I actually don't know about how this is in english.

I don't name my watches, if I did I'd probably be certifiable (no offence, whoever might be doing this).

When a 6 year old kid says PUSSY does English speaking crowd always take it wrong? See what I mean? Kids don't know slang language of adults. Sometimes I wonder how we, adults, spoil our languages, when a word, once with normal meaning, now is being avoid (by Any language speaking crowd), just because it is spoiled by todays decadence cultures...
    Decadence cultures? Wow.....

Ach! We've got to get out of this trap
    Before this decadence saps our wills
    I've got to be strong and try to hang on
    Or else my mind, may well snap
    And my life will be lived
    For the thrills

-T
    So what difference does it make, whether it's 20 minutes or 20 years, since neither amounts to the faintest echo of the tiniest whisper in the thunder of time.

v76

I use a dog whistle.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information