How do you deal with private sellers?

Thread: How do you deal with private sellers?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How do you deal with private sellers?

Hello,

I am wondering how you deal with private sellers in the best way possible to ensure it is not a scam or fake. The seller is from UK and I am from USA therefore a meet in person transaction will not be an option. The seller private messaged me saying they have the specific watch available to me and has posted on the WUS forum for sale a while back. The seller says it includes all boxes, receipts, etc. intact. and multiple pictures of the watch. It would be shipped and insured. Any advise? Thank you.

Re: How do you deal with private sellers?

If the seller is trustworthy based upon participation on the forum, previous sales and a generally trustworthy demeanor in messages, I say pay with PayPal with a credit card and call it good. They have your back if you legitimately get screwed as a buyer.
    Cheers,
    Mike

This topic came up recently with advice but basically, make sure you research the watch to be able to spot a fake or real via images. Ask for. A lot of good pictures. Look at any references for the seller. Communicate and ask questions of the seller (poor response time and lack luster answers are an easy sign to stay away).

Buying the seller is #1, if you do that the watch will probably be authentic. From there buying the authentic watch in good condition jis just a matter of what condition your budget can afford.
    Ω SMP 300M 2220.80 • Hamilton H78465553 • Helm Vanuatu 01AR1 • Vintage Seiko 5 6309-8239 • G-Shock GW7900B-1 • G-Shock MTG900 • DTW LE Chrono

True Grail : A. Lange & Söhne Zeitwerk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Check his reputation carefully. I personally review the seller's posts -- sorry fellas -- and forum feedback to get a better picture of the person I'm dealing with.
    Then I examine the product carefully by doing some research and finding comparable examples online.

The old WIS adage applies: Buy the seller.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

Consider this the seller may be thinking the same about you.

Not suggesting you arent trustworthy but untrustworthy buyers can rip off trustworthy sellers quite easily.

Pay by paypal, ask and pay for registered/insured/tracked shipping and it minimizes the risk for both parties.

What's the question?

How long has he/she been on WUS? I see you are a veteran as of Sept., 2012.

Will they be accepting PyPal? Does the seller have any feedback? Due diligence is key on your behalf. Ask as many questions as you can and request multiple

pics with something illustrating the watch is indeed in their possession(an index card w/his WUS name and date included in the photo).

I am sure people have been scammed even here at times but those scammers do not last long.I have purchased too many timepieces through this forum,some

fairly expensive by my standards and have never been disappointed. Going via PayPal offers some protection as long as you stick to the rules of no "gift"

option. That's a red flag immediately. I am in the process of a deal as I write and am paying via USPS MO. I vetted the seller out thoroughly,on this

and other watch forums and found no reason to doubt his veracity.

Bottom line, be smart and cautious. If a deal sounds too good,then it is cause for concern. Any watch brand known for being copied needs to be double

checked. Fakes can be frighteningly accurate these days to the point of fooling jewelers.

Good luck

#1: Above all else, research the seller.

If the seller has a lot of good references from people who say he delivered the goods as promised and advertised, then the person should be good to go. Same goes with references as a buyer. It may seem unfair that new buyers and sellers aren't given the benefit of the doubt, but life isn't always fair, especially when money is changing hands. It takes time and diligence to build a good reputation. There is no shortcut, AFAIC.

Also, use paypal, in conjunction with a credit card if at all possible, for the protection that it offers.
    Rolex DeepSea Sea-Dweller | Eterna Super KonTiki 1973 Limited Edition

If the seller has been around for years, has many posts, and has numerous positive feedbacks as a seller, he is likely good. If he has only been around for a few months and has a thousand posts and a couple sales, that may not be enough for me. You can contact the forum members who left him feedback. It is also a sliding scale depending on price of the watch - I may take more risk on a $200 purchase than a $2,000 purchase.

As a seller, if I'm selling a $2,000 watch, I may not sell to a buyer with only 9 posts thru Paypal and would likely require a wire transfer.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat Evo, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Paul Picot Plongeur, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero.. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Chopard Pro 1, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub ti, Monta OceanKing, Breitling SOH II

Quote Originally Posted by dmkou View Post
    Hello,

I am wondering how you deal with private sellers in the best way possible to ensure it is not a scam or fake. The seller is from UK and I am from USA therefore a meet in person transaction will not be an option. The seller private messaged me saying they have the specific watch available to me and has posted on the WUS forum for sale a while back. The seller says it includes all boxes, receipts, etc. intact. and multiple pictures of the watch. It would be shipped and insured. Any advise? Thank you.
    Well, I for one won't do any business with anyone outside the USA, because if I get scammed there isn't anything I can do about it. Not to mention, the buyer/seller could be 100% legit, and getting the post office to take care of something that was lost internationally is a pain in the @zz.

Get to know the seller. Is he a regular on WUS? Or, if not, is he at least a regular on a brand specific sub-forum on WUS? (Ideally the same brand as the watch he's selling.)

I see a lot of new members with tiny post counts selling some rather expensive timepieces. Sometimes at prices that come very near "too good to be true." I don't even bother PMing them. I'm surprised others do. Maybe not too many do.

Just not a good idea to take a chance on someone who's posts you haven't even encountered on the forums before. I have gotten to know a few of the other WUS regulars, and they know me. If one of them offers a timepiece that catches my eye, I'd jump all over their sales topic; knowing full well I don't have to worry about getting scammed.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information