How do you decide which goes and which stays?

Thread: How do you decide which goes and which stays?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My collection (I think I'm up to 15 or so) comprises more or less divers, chronos, and dress watches - swiss and non-swiss. I think that it's time for me to seriously consider selling some of my timepieces but I'm not sure which goes and which stays. They all look fantastic to me but some don't really get a lot of wrist time. Even if I were to adhere to a one-week rotation schedule, each one will be worn one week every 3.5 months. I don't think that it's practical for me to go less than a one-week rotation because most of mine are sitting in a safety deposit box and the bank people would think I'm crazy if I pop by every couple of days.

So...how do you decide which one stays? wrist time? sentimental? future resale value?

Re: How do you decide which goes and which stays?

as for me, what I would keep
    #1 sentimental / extremely limited production
    #2 resale (if its going to be hard to sell in the future because that particular brand doesnt hold its value)
    #3 availability (if a few of the same model pop up every other month? Then you can always purchase it again if you have regrets?)
    Just my thoughts.....

Sentimental value is first and foremost.

After that, it depends on whether or not it's getting wrist time. I'm thinking about getting rid of something next year and it's not because I don't love it--I do--it just doesn't get enough wrist time.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Sentimental value is first and foremost.

After that, it depends on whether or not it's getting wrist time. I'm thinking about getting rid of something next year and it's not because I don't love it--I do--it just doesn't get enough wrist time.
    I agree completely.

Why not get a safe and keep them closer to home?

Bob
    Current Collection
    Omega Seamaster 2542.20 "Bond" - white dial, Breitling Colt GMT - silver, UTS 500M Bauhaus black, Sinn U1 - black, Sinn U1 -
    Orange - Doxa SUB 1200T Professional- Orange, Doxa Divingstar 300 - Yellow, Alpina Extreme 40 Sailing Chronograph - black, Tag Heuer SEL Link - Grey, Tag Heuer 1000 - Black Coral, AEgir CD-2 - grey, Benarus Moray - Green, Nauticfish 1000M - Blue, Boschett Cave Dweller - Yellow​, Boschett Cave Dweller - Grey, Boschett Legacy - Black/Gold, Bernhardt Sea Shark - red, Irreantum Magellan - blue, Irreantum Magellan - Orange, Ocean7 LM1 - Lume dial , Artego 500M - blue, Helson Shark Diver(45mm) - white/blue, Oliver Bronze - ​Brown, Hailos Holotype- yellow

If you're set on selling, I agree with the earlier comments...sentiment, rarity, and resale value are all factors. Most of my watches have sentimental value because they were gifts; I would be very hard pressed to part with any of them for that one reason alone. The only watch I've ever sold had no sentimental value to me, was not really rare, and I asked and got a fair amount for it.

Mike

The Collection: Too many to list
    The Wish List: Still too many to list
    The Grail: Bremont ALT1-P (blue dial)

Banned

If it was a gift or it's an heirloom it's exempt from flipping because of the sentimental value as mentioned by several members. The second thing I consider when I'm looking to fund a new watch by selling off some existing pieces that don't get worn too often is this:

Quote Originally Posted by purebred08 View Post
    #3 availability (if a few of the same model pop up every other month? Then you can always purchase it again if you have regrets?)
    If the watch I want is a once a year opportunity or longer interval between chances it makes sense to flip something that can be easily replaceable later down the line. A good way to make the final decision is to ask yourself do you miss it when you don't wear it for a long time, and do you have another watch that is similar in look/color that can be worn in the same situations. If you don't miss it and you have a suitable stand-in, then sell.

\

If it drifts by more than 3seconds a month then it goes because it's already gone off!

Well, if anything ... I guess it doesn't depend on the watch...it depends on me. I had a wonderful Casio watch with a thermometer when I was a kid.
    I used to go out in a t-shirt in the thick of -5 degrees winter wondering why it felt so cold when the thermometer said it was 24 degrees. That one
    had to go.

Just like the Mickey Mouse watch I had as a kid. When I became a teenager, that *had* to go. Or the bling multi-function watch with flashing disco lights,
    built in shaver, enamel tooth protector and infra-red link to the Dow Jones Index. That had to go. Or like the Seiko Kinetic diving watch from the ex-girlfriend.
    That *had* to go when she had to go. Just like the Breitling Roman windrider which spent 2 months in a year being repaired by Breitling under warranty. That
    had to go.

Nothing new here. The ones which didn't go ... the two Milus watches my parents gave me (why didn't they give me their new Rolexes if they really loved me? :P).
    Since then, I've never really had a new watch which gelled with me. I suppose those have their sentimental worth intrinsically, however I have no brand loyalty and
    I'm not going to stick with Milus, after all my parents didn't! So no doubt, the two Milus' will have to go when I go!. I've had the for the better part of 20 years since
    they gave me them in junior school - I think I've taken better care of them, than I have of any other watch I've owned. So the cheap tacky Police watch I had - they
    had to go - not by choice - it was stolen. The Hugo Boss I got from Santa Claws will probably go (it's already drifting an hour every 2 days!). So yup ... family and
    sentimental reasons are the only reasons I keep a watch ;)

Born in South Korea - Canadian citizen - Living in Philly Suburb

For me, everything is funding.

If I see a watch that I want, then I look at my collection and see which one I like less than the one on the screen and it goes and on and on until I have enough money to cough up.

:)
    Chronic flipper...

I have never sold a watch, but I'm about to sell two of them.

It was an easy decision. I really wanted a new watch (GS SD), and my wife agreed only when I promised to sell one of my nice watches to help fund it. Since the one to be sold doesn't get much wrist time, it wasn't a hard decision, although I like the watch very much, and it's quite unusual (the Martin Braun).

Then, while I was on the "selling" thought line, I realized that, although I like its looks very much, the Oris never gets worn. So, after I get it overhauled, it goes on the block.

That will leave me with a two-watch rotation for everyday use (the Seikos), and a very fine dress watch (IWC). The Sea-Gulls aren't worth enough to bother selling, and they get worn every once in a while when I really, really don't want to run the risk of people knowing how much I've spent on my watch (low risk of that with the Seikos; moderate risk with the IWC, and no risk at all with the Sea-Gulls).
    Mark
    ---------------------------
    Seiko Spring Drive Chronograph SPS003
    Oris TT1 Titan Diver Chronograph 1000M

IWC Portuguese Chronograph 3714-01
    Grand Seiko Spring Drive GMT SBGE001

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information