How do you decide which watch to sell?
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: How do you decide which watch to sell?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hi,

I'm new on this forum and I am in need of some advice. I came here looking to gain knowledge with watches so I could finally purchase a watch that didn't turn out to be a POS.

I think I went overboard, however, in my endeavor in that I started buying watches that were good watches, but with each purchase I found out what I did like and did not like in a watch (size, face size, style, looks, etc...). Each time after a purchase, I would look for something in the next watch that was missing from the previous watch. I think I have learned a lot in my short time of watch learning, but have built up quite the collection of watches. I think the time has come to start getting rid of a few of them, but having trouble deciding which ones.

They all seem to have something that I liked about them when I purchased them, so it's hard to decide which ones to let go. I still like all of them, but it's getting to be too much trying to rotate them all and giving them all a fair wear.

Any advice?

I go by how comfortable they are, if they would cost too much to bother repairing them or quite simply if I just get bored with them. I usually buy a watch about every four years but this year it’s been four of them so far. I’ll wear them for a month and if there’s something I don’t like about them I’ll sell them. Ideally I would like to be down to about two or three that I really like but like you implied, no single one seems to be perfectly perfect.

Today I sold a 1958 omega Seamaster that I thought I was going to restore and keep forever but just never got around to it. Plus the fact it needs 2 new bridges and a crystal and the parts might be pretty hard to hunt down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BillTX likes this.

Re: How do you decide which watch to sell?

“fair wear”??

The watches don’t care. They wouldn’t know fair if it kicked them in the teeth.

Wear what you feel like and stop the phony guilt trip

BillTX and Fergfour like this.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account, Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

10 reasons to dump facebook:

https://www.komando.com/tips/527072/...cebook-in-2019

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Kep the ones you wear the most and sell the ones you don't. Forget about resale, gains, or losses. Every sale is a fresh start. The money originally spent is gone forever. Better to have a few bucks than to have a watch you spent too much on linger in a box based on principle
    BillTX likes this.

Before, I'd let go of the watches that I use the least regardless of value.

That was stupid of me because now I'm hunting those very same watches lol

Now, I only sell/trade my best watches for upgrade purposes. I trade or sell my low end stuff more freely.

Sent from my ASUS_X01BDA using Tapatalk
    Rolex Explorer II 216570
    Panerai
    PAM 112
    Rolex Two-Tone Datejust
    Omega Constellation C-Shape Vintage
    Anonimo D-Date II
    Concord Impresario
    Seiko Sumo
    Casio MDV106

Also depends on what brands/price range you’re in. Some obviously lose more value than others.
    BillTX likes this.
    Current Collection
    Aquadive BS300 & BS300 DLC Armida A1 Crepas ​Loggerhead Doxa 300 T-Graph professional Ennebi Fondale Gruppo Ardito Kraken Kaiser 9500m
    H2o Kalmar 2 8000m Oceanictime Helberg CH1 Marathon JSAR, JDD Orient ​Saturation Diver Prometheus ​Poseidon DLC Rolex Oyster Royal
    Seiko SUN019 ​Sinn U1 SDR Charmex Swiss Military 20,000ft UTS 4000m WCT 1000m Diver Zixen DSR-1000, DSR-1000 GMT

One strategy is to box up a few watches that you think you may sell and see if you miss them after a few weeks.

It may not be worth it to sell watches that you’ll take a big loss on. May be better to gift to others.
    BillTX likes this.

First question: Do you even need to sell a watch?
    Is keeping the watches causing you any financial hardship?

Second question: Do you want to sell a watch?
    Assuming the decision is truly yours to make - do you want to sell one? If you removed one from your collection, would you be saddened or would the others just "take its place?"

Third question: Which watch?
    Which one would you miss the most if you didn't have it any more? Don't sell that one.
    Which one would you be most likely to shrug off if it broke? Sell that one.
    BillTX likes this.

I usually am selling watches to buy other watches. Recently I sold several to consolidate into one nicer one I was hunting down for a while. After trading through dozens of nice watches over the years I have two general rules that seem to keep me away from regretting selling something.

1. Don’t worry about how much I spent, only worry about whether what I could sell one for is more than how much I like it. For example I have a sort of odd JLC that is in great shape but if I wanted to sell could probably only get like $5500. But I’d buy it for $5500! So not going to sell that one even though I wear it pretty infrequently.

2. Only sell/trade towards higher quality pieces, never sell something really nice to fund buying lower end watches. I did this a couple times, always resulted in me wishing I’d just kept the original. Destroys too much value.

Hope that’s helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BillTX likes this.

I have 35-40, I think. I flip based on aesthetics, if I do not like the way a watch wears I sell it. Too tall, just don't bond with it, etc.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information