How do you know if a watch your buying online is stolen?
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: How do you know if a watch your buying online is stolen?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How do you know if a watch your buying online is stolen?

I was wondering, how do you know when youíre buying a watch online if itís stolen or not? You can ask for a serial number and then pay money to find out if itís on a list of stolen watches ( which is not even close to being complete ) thatís if you can get the seller to give you the real serial number on the watch before you buy it. Can anyone here tell me how not to buy a stolen watch. Please be gentle, Iíve never bought a watch online so Iím not fully aware of the process. Thanks.

P.S. Iíve had a watch stolen and am wondering if whoever took it just sold it online, and so did the person who bought it know it was stolen?

Re: How do you know if a watch your buying online is stolen?

If they can produce the box and papers, that's a good sign. Ask them how much they originally got it for and check against the msrp. Ask them where they bought it and check if that place is an AD.

You're buying the seller as much as you're buying the watch. If you're not buying what the seller is saying, don't buy the watch.
    rcsub, filcord, rfortson and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rcsub View Post
    I was wondering, how do you know when youíre buying a watch online if itís stolen or not? You can ask for a serial number and then pay money to find out if itís on a list of stolen watches ( which is not even close to being complete ) thatís if you can get the seller to give you the real serial number on the watch before you buy it. Can anyone here tell me how not to buy a stolen watch. Please be gentle, Iíve never bought a watch online so Iím not fully aware of the process. Thanks.

P.S. Iíve had a watch stolen and am wondering if whoever took it just sold it online, and so did the person who bought it know it was stolen?
    Quality thread. Thank you.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Stolen watches are a nightmare - although a lot of the “stolen” ones are fraudulent insurance claims, with the watch then sold to some second hand store after the insurance payout. (This became massive issue during and straight after the GFC, especially with people who had bought an expensive watch on a credit card and then lost their job)

Rolex used to keep a registry of stolen watches, but I believe it is no longer kept up to date or checked.

Basically, unless its a rare handmade piece, you are never going to know.

Extremely rare issue. I am unaware of any buying a verified stolen medium to high end watch. With 22 years as a police officer the only time I ever recovered watches was from a burglary in progress or being transported in a suspicious vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by TwentiethCenturyFox View Post
    Extremely rare issue. I am unaware of any buying a verified stolen medium to high end watch. With 22 years as a police officer the only time I ever recovered watches was from a burglary in progress or being transported in a suspicious vehicle
    What do you suppose would happen if you rung up the manufacturer and notified them, and suppose it wound up in service down the road?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

If it is a newer (not vintage) watch - I personally am weary about buying without b&p. Thieves usually would not carry off boxes and papers in my estimation, and most people keep the box and warranty if they purchase a nice watch.

If you buy from legit sellers you need not worry.
    Nokie likes this.
    My collection changes so often I got tired of redoing my signature

Quote Originally Posted by City74 View Post
    If you buy from legit sellers you need not worry.
    Easier said than done. Rare and limited pieces show up rarely as it is, even more rarely given for trade at an AD.

I just bought a very limited run Raketa, the best I can do is run the seller through a process to see if they seem trustworthy etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TwentiethCenturyFox View Post
    Good to know, an answer from an expert, thx!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information