How do you and/or the public perceive Movado?
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: How do you and/or the public perceive Movado?

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

How do you and/or the public perceive Movado?

A Movado Museum was my first "nice" watch. Sure, they were impressive to me in high school and college, but as I've learned more about horology and different brands (in general) I've drifted away from them. These days I find myself wondering:

1) How do you, the more-knowledgeable-than-average watch geek, view them? Strengths? Weaknesses? Do you feel they have a bit of the "Tag Stigma" about charging too much due to gross advertising costs?

2) How does the layman/public view them? Are they considered just another nice department store brand? Do most people view them as a step up from Seiko and Citizen but lesser than other high quality manufacturers, such as Tag or Bulova?

I've owned several Movado models over the years and found them to be reliable and sharp looking. I will always own a Museum as the design is utterly unique and was the very first to catch my eye and turn me into a watch fanatic. That said, I still own one - a very basic quartz model that's going on 3 years without a battery change, and only one complimentary cleaning (the local store is very helpful).

Re: How do you and/or the public perceive Movado?

Movado is a fashion brand with a richer history of stylish timepieces rather than sophistication of manufacture. I think to the average consumer, they are probably viewed rather highly as being a "higher end" brand. However, I don't think they live in the same stratos as the bigger names like Omega and Rolex which also manufacture movements.

In the end, wear what you like, not how other people perceive it.
    Last edited by Eric L.; January 2nd, 2009 at 00:16.
    Lots of dive watches.

We all have a different eye and I went through that phase also. The
    public still perceives them as ultra cool, but on watch forums, snob
    wannabes, look their noses down on them. For what they are, there're
    very good timepieces.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Well, the Movade Design is very distinct, famous and recognised. The movements are "just" Swiss Quartz, which means quality.
    Nice tech, the Tungsten Carbide Movado uses in some watch cases.

Still have my museum watch from 1988 (in box, never worn).
    over the years (and decades), I do appreciate their uniqueness, but no, they are not on my top list.
    I cant speak for the public (who can?), but to me, they are nice if you want to wear one, otherwise, there are so many choices out there.

They still get my vote for there originality in design though.

I actually wouldn't class them alongside Seiko for certain as it produces some of the finest watches going (Grand Seiko, Spring Drives, etc.).

As noted above, it's a fashion watch currently. Look back to some of their mid century chronographs for movement excellence.
    Sláinte,
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by kspeed View Post
    A Movado Museum was my first "nice" watch. Sure, they were impressive to me in high school and college, but as I've learned more about horology and different brands (in general) I've drifted away from them. These days I find myself wondering...

I've owned several Movado models over the years and found them to be reliable and sharp looking. I will always own a Museum as the design is utterly unique and was the very first to catch my eye and turn me into a watch fanatic. That said, I still own one - a very basic quartz model that's going on 3 years without a battery change, and only one complimentary cleaning (the local store is very helpful).
    have walked the same path you have. i actually own the same watch you have pictured, altho it is the only movado i've owned. have found it to be accurate, reliable and attractive. would consider purchasing an automatic movado should i really begin a collection in earnest. movado did not spark my growing horological fascination however, that was actually a skeleton that did that in conjunction with my wife wanting to purchase me a nice engagement gift, post facto

1) How do you, the more-knowledgeable-than-average watch geek, view them? Strengths? Weaknesses? Do you feel they have a bit of the "Tag Stigma" about charging too much due to gross advertising costs?
    personally, i view them as a classic and timeless design. in terms of strengths, the only one i would consider is the appearance. weakness... don't think they generally have any weaknesses, other than being a fashion watch. would say they do have a similar stigma to the tag heuer among the cognoscenti, perhaps even more than tag.

i no longer wear my movado however. once my ball and traser went into circulation, the movado's battery came out and it sits on my nightstand. i wore it every day for every purpose for 3 years prior to that however, it was my only watch, so it is a well-deserved break suspect one day i'll pick it back up and strap it back on, or more likely purchase a movado automatic, but for now have my sights set on other timepieces.

2) How does the layman/public view them? Are they considered just another nice department store brand? Do most people view them as a step up from Seiko and Citizen but lesser than other high quality manufacturers, such as Tag or Bulova?
    among the public they are still perceived very well and are perhaps the most instantly recognizable watch in the world. would say rolex is more famous, and more well-regarded once someone knows it's a rolex, but the general public will recognize a movado from afar while the same generally cannot be said for the rolex.

would not say they are considered a department store brand, more of a luxury brand. would say general public perception among those brands you mentioned would be rolex -> tag -> movado/bulova -> seiko/citizen etc.

many folks have commented on my movado over the few years i wore it... suspect i would have had less comments from most any other watch

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    We all have a different eye and I went through that phase also. The
    public still perceives them as ultra cool, but on watch forums, snob
    wannabes, look their noses down on them. For what they are, there're
    very good timepieces.
    Amen Brother!
    There are certain brands one simply MUST dog in order to be perceived as watch forum "cognoscenti" and Movado is certainly a fave....
    Put down Tag on occasion and of course rip on Rolex at will and you're on your way to watch forum "street cred"
    A quartz Movado was my first semi "pricey" watch, (still own it) and I've got a Museum auto also.
    The Museum pieces are classic dress watches and I don't give a flying fig what forum "horologists" think of them.
    kak1154 likes this.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

Quote Originally Posted by Tragic View Post
    The Museum pieces are classic dress watches and I don't give a flying fig what forum "horologists" think of them.
    I agree with that.
    But I am not sure that is what the OP was asking for?
    I might be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeSeeker View Post
    I agree with that.
    But I am not sure that is what the OP was asking for?
    I might be wrong.
    He's wanting to know if it's "safe" to mention Movado in a watch forum...
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information