How do you respond when asked about fakes in sutuations like these

Thread: How do you respond when asked about fakes in sutuations like these

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How do you respond when asked about fakes in sutuations like these

I apologize for starting this topic on fakes/replicas, but I could use a lil help here. Everyone who knows me a lil, by now knows that I am into watches. My friends, relatives, people at work, etc. I am very happy to talk to them about watches, but sooner or later, someone always asks me regarding fakes. If its as simple as 'do you buy fakes?, my answer should be easy, but when someone who you know can't really afford a high end brand and yet wants to get a fake/replica and asks you to help him, what do you do? I don't want to come across as being rude or snobbish (especially to people senior to me at work).
    Most people at my work place (including myself) don't earn nearly enough to own expensive watches. I myself try my best to keep a low profile on days I'm wearing my Sub to work. I'm asked questions like, 'can I get a good replica for $200?', 'how is my (fake)watch?', 'my dad/grand dad gifted me this watch, what is it worth?'
    How would you respond?
    Are you watching closely?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog:
    http://watchesindia.blogspot.com/
    Instagram: @crazystrobist

Re: How do you respond when asked about fakes in sutuations like these

I tell them fake watches are illegal, which they are.

Jeannie

Ozy

I used to think that I could make a difference, that people asked me those sort of things because they valued my input. No, people just want to hear from you affirmation of their own thoughts. Tell em' whatever they want to hear.
    Pavo absolutus

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've actually had serious arguments with people who try to prove that buying a fake is the smarter choice. Like Ozy said, it really is impossible to convince them and then you realize its just a waste of time. I really don't care much for those people. Its just the people who are always nice and helpful to me that I can't have arguments with. Sometimes they are a lil excited about showing off their watch a bit, in which case, I just smile and say its nice.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog:

Banned

Those are all different questions. I'd advice to buy a decent Seiko with 6r15 movement or even a 7s36. Or perhaps something with an ETA 2824 or 2892. The cheapest 2892 I've seen was in a Steinhart watch, around $400. But there might be cheaper ones. Otherwise, I don't think there's any shame in wearing quartz. Better a good quartz than a bad fake.

On a personal note, in the work environment you describe, I wouldn't wear a Rolex at all. Wear something that is guaranteed not to arouse any envy. Obviously, if you get caught in a conversation on watches and people know you are into that, they will ask you what you are wearing and whether it's a real one. And then you are cooked. Wear something like the above and then they will see that those are actually nice watches, worthy of an aficionado's attention. They can then follow your example without losing face, which they would lose doubly if they bought a fake.

crazyfingers,

It's a bit of a sticky situation isn't it. Taking a step back: those who go for fakes are really trying to comply to certain standards, such as having a gold Rolex as an attempt to "join the club". Those who think getting a fake is a smart move never consider the possible repercussions.

For me I never want to join those "clubs" so I just have what I like and appreciate; I'd imagine I get a lot more enjoyment out of that.

Read my signature. People who do not hold this to be true will wear watches that are false.
    "...[A] watch isn’t about telling the time, it is about your relationship with time. A watch is about style, a story and the history of both your watch and your own life."
    -Askmen.com's The Watch Snob

Born in South Korea - Canadian citizen - Living in Philly Suburb

My Standard answer:
    "Where can I get fakes?" - "I do not know."

What do you think about my "Fake" watch - who KNOWs it is fake:
    "It looks nice"

What do you think about my "Fake" watch - who does not appears to know it is fake:
    If it is someone I do not really know: "It looks nice"
    If it is someone I am quite close to: "Hopefully you did not pay whole lot for it"

People around me knows that I wear $1K + watches but I have 32" tube TV where as they spent $1-2K on HDTV's or buy $2K bicycles or $400 cell phones, etc.

So, they just accept that I have different interests and does not look differently or snobbish when I wear a Rolex or Panerai, etc.
    Chronic flipper...

@nocnoc- Yeah, I try suggesting them different affordable alternatives. I have managed to get a couple of people interested in Seiko

Quote Originally Posted by Seele View Post
    I just have what I like and appreciate; I'd imagine I get a lot more enjoyment out of that.
    I totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by hpark21 View Post
    My Standard answer:
    "Where can I get fakes?" - "I do not know."

What do you think about my "Fake" watch - who KNOWs it is fake:
    "It looks nice"

What do you think about my "Fake" watch - who does not appears to know it is fake:
    If it is someone I do not really know: "It looks nice"
    If it is someone I am quite close to: "Hopefully you did not pay whole lot for it"
    I guess that's probably the best way to go about it.
    My blog:

Despite their un-awareness about fake's quality, I don't wanna ruin the relationship just because being honest and idealistic, maybe I would just say 'Oh that's look good in your wrist'. Because most of them don't even know what's the difference between kinetic and automatic, chronograph and chronometer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information