How do you slow down on buying and focus on appreciating the current collection?
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: How do you slow down on buying and focus on appreciating the current collection?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

How do you slow down on buying and focus on appreciating the current collection?

I've always had an interest in watches and bought a modern Datejust 116234 2.5 years ago when my daughter was born. Since then I also picked up a vintage Omega Seamaster Deville from the 60s and was given a Seiko 5 by family. However, I really got into watches 6 months ago and have been going a little nuts. Picked up and sold a Heuer Carrera Re-edition CS3111 followed by a Buckley 1601, Pre ceramic Sub 14060M, Cartier Tank Solo, Speedy Reduced, a WWII vintage CYMA and most recently a 16710 Pepsi GMT.

I already have my eyes set on picking up a sector dial JLC Master Control Date. I think I should slow down, but I also wonder if this watch will be harder to pickup in a few years.

I feel like I should slow down and appreciate what I have. Any tips on how some of you manage to control yourselves and appreciate the existing collection?

Re: How do you slow down on buying and focus on appreciating the current collection?

Quit WatchUSeek and stop visiting Watch Shops!

Just kidding (kind of).

Wear your Watches regularly.

Those that have not been worn for a while, wear them and enjoy them!
    londonflash, good2go, RSDA and 2 others like this.
    Dan.
    A. Lange & Sohne 1815 Up/Down
    H. Moser & Cie Pioneer Centre Seconds
    Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Tribute Small Seconds
    Officine Panerai Radiomir PAM 720
    Rolex Submariner 114060 (No Date)
    Cartier Santos WSSA0010
    Apple Watch Series 4 Nike+
    Seiko SKX007
    Seiko SKX009
    Casio G-Shock Rangeman GW-9400-1
    Casio G-Shock GA-700
    Casio G-Shock DW-5600E
    And others (not really worth mentioning)

Re: How do you slow down on buying and focus on appreciating the current collection?

Running out of money worked for me.
    Stowa 1938 | Speedy Pro 311 | Omega SMPc | 66 Omega SM | 65 Omega Cosmic | 54 Omega SM | 72 Speedy Mark II | 69 Tissot T.12 | 70 Tissot Super T.12 | 70 Seiko 6139 | 71 Seiko Yachtman | 77 Seiko Pogue | 70s Seiko Bullhead | 69 Bulova SK | Ventus Mori | Helm Khuraburi

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dantan View Post
    Quit WatchUSeek and stop visiting Watch Shops!
    AMEN !!
    Seiko Bulova Tissot Eterna

Personally, when more important stuff comes around and keeps me busy, it puts watch collecting into perspective. I haven't desired a new watch in about a year - because no bandwidth!

I put my extra money back into my business....so I have less play money (but still can afford Gshocks)

Moderator Public Forum soaking.fused's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by liyoo86 View Post
    Any tips on how some of you manage to control yourselves and appreciate the existing collection?
    You could include another hobby with your watches. (i.e. Going on vacation, reading a book, going on a hike, etc.); this works for me.

Also, pick out some different straps to outfit your existing collection.
    Last edited by soaking.fused; February 1st, 2018 at 22:17.

Look at everyone advocating restraint. I went the other way. Go crazy. Buy everything and anything you desire, find intriguing, even buy stuff you don’t like. Obviously sell when you get bored with it. After some years and several hundred watches, you would have effectively bought and sold every type of watch and all watches (no matter how great) just becomes another watch because you’ve seen it in a different form before.
    drhr, propforall and scooby like this.
    My Watch Pics (IG) ---> CLICK HERE
    Sales Forum Feedback History ---> CLICK HERE

Quote Originally Posted by liyoo86 View Post
    I've always had an interest in watches and bought a modern Datejust 116234 2.5 years ago when my daughter was born. Since then I also picked up a vintage Omega Seamaster Deville from the 60s and was given a Seiko 5 by family. However, I really got into watches 6 months ago and have been going a little nuts. Picked up and sold a Heuer Carrera Re-edition CS3111 followed by a Buckley 1601, Pre ceramic Sub 14060M, Cartier Tank Solo, Speedy Reduced, a WWII vintage CYMA and most recently a 16710 Pepsi GMT.

I already have my eyes set on picking up a sector dial JLC Master Control Date. I think I should slow down, but I also wonder if this watch will be harder to pickup in a few years.

I feel like I should slow down and appreciate what I have. Any tips on how some of you manage to control yourselves and appreciate the existing collection?
    After maybe 5 years of accumulating a collection that mostly sat unworn I decided a change was needed. Several years ago I moved much of the collection on. I also decided to not make snap buy decisions. Instead I do a lot of researching and reading and looking and have to be convinced the watch is a long term keeper that will get worn. So far it has worked and I enjoy each watch.

It takes a great deal of willpower, especially if you're on this site a lot.
    41Mets, por44 and timefleas like this.
    "Nothing happens until something moves." -Albert Einstein
    Damasko | Hamilton | Longines | Mido | Orient | Oris | Rolex | Timex

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information