How Do You Talk To People On The Internet (WUS since we are here)?
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: How Do You Talk To People On The Internet (WUS since we are here)?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

How Do You Talk To People On The Internet (WUS since we are here)?

The Internet is a curious medium. WUS is the only forum I’m involved in and I’m surprised/shocked daily by how people talk to one another (we all have moments, I know I have, but wow some of this stuff just makes me cringe). What do you think is a proper code of conduct on Internet forums? In person, I’ve primarily engaged in discussions and debates, whereas on the Internet arguments and vitriol seem to dominate. Part of it is the nature of the beast, but that doesn’t mean we can’t hold ourselves to a higher standard.
    Last edited by Mr.Jones82; August 2nd, 2019 at 19:45.
    41Mets likes this.
    Omega: Aqua Terra 220.10.41.21.03.001
    Grand Seiko: SBGV223, SBGV205
    Oris: Aquis, Pro Pilot
    Sinn: LE 556i
    Longines: Conquest V.H.P.
    G Shock: MTG-B1000D-1A,
    GW-9400-3, GMW-B5000D-1, GMW-B5000GD-1, GX-56BB, GG-B100, GW-B5600GZ-1, GW-B5600FB-4JR, GW-M5610MW-7JF, GW-M5610MD-7JF, GW-B5600BC-1ER, GW-B5600-2ER, GW-B5600HR-1, GW-B5600AR-1, GW-5000-1JF, GM-5600B-3, GA-2100-4AER, DW-5600SK-1, DW-5600SB-3, DW-5600SB-2

Re: How Do You Talk To People On The Internet (WUS since we are here)?

The thing is, in my experience it is much more mild here on WUS than the rest of the internet. For the most part members here are good guys, though I have noticed some of the occasions you are talking about. I personally strive to treat others as I would like to be treated, and I do my best to treat this forum and the members with the respect I feel it deserves due to all of the knowledge and enjoyment it has brought to me. In general, I don't understand why people on the internet (other than proper criticism of course) make negative comments about anything. If you don't like something then why would you care enough about it to comment? If some guy posts about how happy he is with his new watch, and it's a watch I dislike, I see no need to take time out of what I'm enjoying just to piss in his cheerios. On the flip side, if someone were to do that to me, I would not be offended in the least. I may just ignore the comment, or I may take it as an opportunity to prove him intellectually wrong. Either way, I don't let it have an impact on my real life.

I think sometimes the issue boils down to sheer communication. Often, someone types something and it comes across entirely differently than in person. Someone may make a joke (I'm a firm believer that jokes, even offensive ones, should not be censored in life in general) and it comes across as a snide remark. Perhaps someone gets offended, then an argument ensues.

However, I think the crux of the issue might boil down to the boundaries of civil discourse being eradicated in a medium where we are not communicating face to face. I think this is particularly the case will all of the internet "tough guys" out there. In the real world, when two men communicate, there is a line that does not get crossed, less you get punched in the face. I'm not advocating violence (on the contrary I think it should be always avoided obviously), and I'm not saying that most men have a propensity towards violence. I'm just saying that in real life there is an implied but ever-present parameter of civility that if crossed would lead to a physical altercation. Lacking this parameter, chumps feel free to run their mouths. Now, in these cases, I think if they were of superior character that would take over and they would sill act in a civil manner. The problem is, without the boundaries of normal face to face communication, people of inferior character are more able to let their true self shine through without consequence.

What you've seen is perfectly normal on Internet forums. The shield of internet anonymity gives people the courage and freedom to say things and act in ways they would never dream of in real life.

There are still unspoken rules that people don't cross, but the grey zone of what's acceptable is far wider on the internet

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I’m a polite person by nature and even though I’m anonymous on the internet I still try my damnedest to maintain those standards - I’m not some sort of keyboard warrior who see it as his sworn duty to be as rude as possible to other internet users.

compared to the comments section of any news article, youtube or social media post, WUS is a PBS (that's public broadcasting station for non US folks) special. There might be some snarky comments here and there (or demands to meet in person to fight..that was a weird series of posts), but that's the internet and anonymity and besides, the mods are pretty great at moderating offensive content. The public forum is where you're more likely to see heated conversations as it is the area intended to gather ALL visitors. Invicta discussions here are waay different than those that might happen in the Affordables section.

In sum, it's the internet, WUS ain't so bad, and just know where/when/what to post.
    WatchUSee is WatchIGot
    Casio - G-Shock GW-5000-1jf |
    Garmin - Forerunner 245 Music | Grand Seiko - Snowflake (SBGA011) | Longines - Master Collection (L2.673) | | MeisterSinger - Panagaea Day Date|Monta -Triumph | Nomos Glashutte - Club Datum | Orient - Mako mod | Rolex - Explorer I (214270 mk2) | Seiko - SKX007/09 mods | Stowa- Klassik Flieger

The main rule in the Affordables BSHT thread is "Don't be a dick".

That works pretty well for me. I give in sometimes when the temptation is too great, but I've mostly given up the online usenet battles of my youth. They cause useless stress for everyone, and there's no gain.

Probably as I would in real life.

I’ve met plenty of people here. No one has expressed surprise in real life.
    JacobC likes this.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

I consider WUS and other watch forums to be pretty civil. It also helps that WUS and other watch forums forbids political and religious discussions, unlike the rest of the web.
    SunnyOrange likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradjhomes View Post
    Probably as I would in real life.

I’ve met plenty of people here. No one has expressed surprise in real life.
    So you DO wear a monocle and top hat in real life?

Frank, straightforward and polite. I still have my dislikes the Swatchgroup, ETA, Sellita, Dubois Depraz and Frederic Piguet.
    41Mets likes this.
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information