How does eveyone feel about Bulova and Accutron?

Thread: How does eveyone feel about Bulova and Accutron?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How does the quality of these brands compare to, say tissot?

I've yet to own any of the three that you mention, but I'll give ya a bump back to the top ....

Perhaps someone can help?

Cheers!
    Bill
    All who wander are not lost ...
    Be a traveler, not a tourist.

A traveler doesn't know where he's going,
    a tourist doesn't know where he's been.

Re: How does eveyone feel about Bulova and Accutron?

I'd say the current offerings are comparable. Bought a couple a few months ago to satisfy my own curiosity - gave the chrono away (didn't do anything for me) to a charity to be raffled but kept the other one because it actually looks quite "dressy" for a sporty watch. Someone who can provide a more technically oriented comparison will probably give you a more useful answer.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I am less than impressed with the quality of my wife's Bulova, which she purchased at a jeweler for about $250. It is a small women's watch with Japanese quartz movement, and was probably manufactured elsewhere in Asia. The gold plating on the bezel and band wore away quickly and she has had frequent problems with a pin falling out of the bracelet. For the money, we could have done much better.

On the other hand, I continue to be impressed with the quality of my "Swiss Made" Accutron Gemini automatic. Though I purchased it (steeply discounted) for under $200, the fit and finish is fantastic on both the case and bracelet. It features a display back which shows off the ETA 2824-2. The sapphire crystal is a great feature but lacks AR coating, but that was expected in a watch at this price.

There are too many excellent affordable watches on the market to spend good money on another Asian-made Bulova, but I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another Accutron.
    (I'd rather be driving)

I beg to differ with nderwater regarding Bulova quality, but perhaps the differences come with the age of the watch. The only Bulova I've ever owned is a Marine Star that was given to me as a Father's Day gift 10 years ago, and with only a few exceptions it was my everyday watch for all of those years (it now shares wrist time with a Pulsar chrono). I was impressed with the fit, finish, and function of the Marine Star from the moment it came out of the box, and even today it shows little wear of the gold plating on the bezel and bracelet (it's picked up a number of scratches on the mineral glass crystal, but those were all my own fault). Following a very bad experience when a local jeweler replaced the battery once and didn't get the back sealed properly, I send it in to Bulova every couple of years...and I can't say enough good things about their work (the one time I really did need service work -- I pulled on the crown a little too hard a time or two and yanked the stem out -- they had it back to me in no time...fully tested and with a new battery at no extra charge).

I can only hope that with Citizen buying Bulova (or so the reports have been saying) the quality and service I've seen will continue in their products.

Mike

The Collection: Too many to list
    The Wish List: Still too many to list
    The Grail: Bremont ALT1-P (blue dial)

I have a bulova marine star and i like it very much. have had it over a year now and keeps great time. i also have my late dads accutron that he bought when they first came out with the tuneing fork movement. it needs some work on the case and the crystal needs to be replaced but i can not dream of sending it off to be looked at. if it was lost i don't knoe what i would do. i will keep it as is. mark

I used to sell Bulova's in the mid 1980's and always thought they were an inexpensive, average watch, more of a dept. store brand. I own several vintage Accutron's and love them. IMHO, the Accutrons & the Tissot woulod be worth looking at.
    Greetings from that Island they call Long!

No ideas about Tissot, but I own 3 Bulova's and would say their quality is very good. The Millennia with vibra-alarm is an especially useful watch.

I'm looking at the Tissot PRC200 vs the Accutron Gemini chrono auto - which would you guys say is the "better" watch? Is the Accutron worth the extra money?

The most recent Accutron my dad got was the Eagles Chronograph, which is an AWESOMELY solidly built watch and is very good looking, nice bracelet to, compared to Tissot, id say on parr, in some ways a lil better, but then in someways Tissot is better to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information