How durable is sapphire?
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: How durable is sapphire?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

How durable is sapphire?

So there was a off topic that started in a Seiko thread but it was getting out of hand from the original topic so I wanted to start it here so people can voice their opinion. One individual in the thread said by the laws of physics only a diamond could scratch a sapphire crystal and that if you bump your watch against anything short of diamond (like a brick wall), not only would you not see scratches but if you did then it was not sapphire and the watch company lied to you. So obviously that sparked great discussion about what sapphire can take. What do you all think and has anybody had their sapphire scratched before? And you intentionally using a diamond sword does not count.
    brandon\ likes this.

Re: How durable is sapphire?

I don’t know for certain but let’s just say I won’t be rubbing my sapphire crystals on a wall anytime soon to find out.
    Pallet Spoon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakumi View Post
    . . . One individual in the thread said by the laws of physics only a . . . .

Yogi: Please save us!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Courtesy of ULF.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It is durable, I have a twenty year old Omega that is still has a perfect crystal. I also have a Tag with what would be a perfect crystal apart from the fact that a red setters claw dragged across the face and left a small permanent scratch, it is small and only noticeable when pointed out but it is there.
    However, crystal is really the best, my watches with mineral glass all have a multitude of scratches chips and marks. The Seiko hardlex is better by far but is still marked albeit lightly.
    So, I would say that you don't have to worry overly about crystal but if a dogs claw scratches it I suspect, as sticky says, a wall would do it no good!

Quote Originally Posted by pithy View Post

Yogi: Please save us!
    Forgive me but what are we looking at here? It says worn pallet stone but I can not tell what the picture shows.

My wife has a Citizen Signature series watch that has a sapphire crystal. She can be pretty hard on watches so I figured the sapphire would be best. But after 2 years she did manage to scratch the crystal. I was pretty amazed that it was scratched as I too heard that nothing less than a diamond could scratch it. She does still wear her engagement ring so I guess it could have been that. I'll take a picture tonight of the scratch.

On the flip side, she just got an Omega SMP and it has a sapphire crystal. She wears it daily and for now takes it off for menial tasks. But I think that's cause it's new and cost more than any other watch she's worn. In time I'm sure her concern will fade and it will be kept on more often. Perhaps she'll manage to put a few scratches in that one too.

...and we’re off topic in 3.5 posts...

I’ll jump in with some of my findings that I stated in that thread...

As far as Saphire Crystal, I have a Movado that I managed to put a small scratch in, believe me, it’s much easier to do than you think.

It was suggested in that thread that the scratch could possibly be in some type of AR coating. I am not aware that Movado uses AR coating on their Saphire crystals, but even if they do, the scratch is beyond that as I can feel it with my fingernail pretty good. As far as very few materials having the ability to scratch Saphire, this isn’t completely true. Believe you me, I had no intention of scratching my crystal yet the scratch is there.

Another theory is that the scratch is in fact a crack instead. It is certainly scratched, not cracked. So, either Movado is advertising in complete dishonesty about what their crystals are made out of, or the wall I banged it against was made out of something like diamonds, which I can assure was certainly not the case.
    brandon\ likes this.
    Current Rotation:

Dress: Movado Bold X 2 / Movado Juro
    GADA:
    Beater: Luminox Navy Seal Colormark / Citizen Eco-Drive

Future GADA Acquisitions:

Black Dial - Oris Diver Sixty-Five
    Blue Dial - Tag Aquaracer

White Dial - Sinn 104

Grails:

Tudor Black Bay Fifty-Eight
    Omega Seamaster Diver 300 Co-Axial

Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    Forgive me but what are we looking at here? It says worn pallet stone but I can not tell what the picture shows.
    RED SAPPHIRE and a groove cut by by STEEL escape wheel teeth.

Pic courtesy of the A W C I.
    Attached Images Attached Images

rfortson likes this.
    Courtesy of ULF.

Thank you Pithy, I see it now.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information