How to find good watch store for service/care

Thread: How to find good watch store for service/care

How to find good watch store for service/care

Hi all--

This is a bit preventative but as the owner of a newly acquired automatic I was wondering how to find a good watch shop to do any work (tune ups, regulate, etc). I live in the Northern Virginia/DC area and know tons of mall-style jewelers but have no relationship with a solid service location. Any advice on how to best find one would be much appreciated.

Feel free to PM me or reply to this thread.

Thanks!
    -----
    MKII Paradive (Gen 2)
    Obris Morgan Infinity
    Christopher Ward Trident MKIII (38mm)
    Samsung Galaxy Watch

Re: How to find good watch store for service/care

PS: Swiss Army (I have a 9G-600) recommends the below location, anyone have any experience with them:

Anytime Watch Repair
    4437 Brookfield Corporate Dr #103
    Chantilly VA 20151
    703-818-8007
    -----
    MKII Paradive (Gen 2)
    Obris Morgan Infinity
    Christopher Ward Trident MKIII (38mm)
    Samsung Galaxy Watch

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by brianmazanec View Post
    ...I was wondering how to find a good watch shop to do any work (tune ups, regulate, etc). I live in the Northern Virginia/DC area and know tons of mall-style jewelers but have no relationship with a solid service location. Any advice on how to best find one would be much appreciated.
    I would suggest getting recommendations from people you know locally as to where they get their watches serviced. All else being equal, I would rather bring a watch to a local repair person rather than mailing it somewhere. Of course, asking here works as well as I'm sure there are plenty of people reading here who live nearby and may be able to offer some suggestions.

Personally, I would stay away from mall-style jewelers. I have yet to see any mall jewelry store that had someone who knew much about watch repairs. Usually they are only able to ship it off somewhere else. I have found some good, independent watch repair people. They usually have an unimpressive storefront location, but you can see their work area and the sorts of watches they're currently working on (and sorry, I'm on the other coast so I really can't recommend anyone for you)

If the watch is still under warranty I would consider sending it to the authorized repair center for that brand, at least for something relatively major. If it were just to have it regulated or adjust a hand or something I'd probably still take it to a local person. The shipping costs (and concerns about shipping the watch) often cost more than what the repair costs would be.