How to finish up my collection?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How to finish up my collection?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How to finish up my collection?

I began collecting a few years ago and I find myself at a bit of a crossroads in my collection. I decided long ago to limit myself to 10 watches in total and I plan to stick to that rule. I will not get more than 1 watch from any manufacturer. Resale while a factor, doesnít matter as much to me as I donít plan on selling or trading any piece I put in this collection. I prefer watches 42mm to 44mm. My wrist is 7.5 inches and Iím over 6 feet tall, so I prefer something on the larger size. Iím trying to acquire a nice variety, but Iím not sure how to finalize my current collection.

Current collection

Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon with black dial and ceramic bezel - my beater watch

Breitling Navitimer - 43mm model with a bronze dial. Just an iconic watch that always appealed to me so I needed one in my collection.

Omega Speedmaster Professional - current model with hesalite crystal. Just another watch I feel is a must have for a collection.

IWC Ingenieur Mission Earth - Iím a fan of the genta design, but found the 41mm royal oak didnít appeal to me on my wrist. Also I find this piece to fit more of my outdoor lifestyle.

Panerai PAM 390 - Panerai was another must have for my collection and I love the tobacco dial, gold hands on this model, and the simple dial on this model.

Roger Dubuis Excalibur Chronograph 42mm grey dial - This is more of my watch geek watch, with the micro-rotor chronograph movement finished to Geneva seal specs.

JLC Reverso Grande Reverso Duo - Another iconic watch that I had to add to my collection.

I know Iím going to add the new Cartier Santos with a blue dial. However I donít know how to proceed on the final two pieces. There are only two Rolex Iíd consider and they are the gmt or explorer ii 42mm with a white dial. Of those two Iím leaning more towards the explorer ii, but Iíve also been eyeing the Chopard LUC Pro One gmt Cadence. If I purchase the Chopard, I donít see where a Rolex would fit in my collection. I feel like Iím missing an iconic diver to which I lean more towards a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms over the submariner. However I feel like having both the Chopard and Blancpain are similar in both being haute horology tool watches and I would be lacking what A Rolex brings to the table. Looking for some different perspectives and advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: How to finish up my collection?

I would be adding the Explorer II polar and a BP Fifty Fathoms. Looks like a great collection so far!

First thing I suggest is that you take your time with your last additions. Looks to me like youíve filled your collection with watch forum ďusual suspectsĒ and little that is interesting, except the Roger Dubuis. There are tons of great options out there (the LUC would be one), but the FF or Rolex or Santos would just be more of the same typical stuff.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

How did you manage to get this far without help from the herd? (hive? groupthink?)
    http://veteranswatchmakerinitiative.org/
    Training Combat Disabled Vets to become Watchmakers
    https://www.gofundme.com/VWIBulova

No collection is complete without at least one Rolex. The new Sea-Dweller with the Oculus over the date is like a sub date but 43mm and resistant to 122atm. Then there’s the Deepsea at 44mm and the James Cameron Deepsea looks awesome in person. The Explorer II is another awesome watch at 42mm especially with the polar dial but the black is cool too. I would be remiss not mention the Sky-Dweller at 42mm and why not, the Yacht Master II at 44mm. If you don’t want to spend 12 to 18 thousand dollars then why not a Tudor Pelagos at 42mm and resistant to 50atm? That’s my cent and a half, I could list a bunch of non-typical watches but I think you can never go wrong with a Rolex and never forget this is YOUR collection and no two are alike and each is precious as long as it brings you joy.

With what you’ve got already I would be looking to add a Polar.

The Explorer II Polar as you indicated. Every watch in the collection is quite bold, the IWC being the most understated in my opinion. I would leave the last spot open to prolong the "hunt." I wouldn't lock yourself out of getting a second watch from a same brand, (Rolex Cellini) I'm surprised there is no Patek Phillipe.

Get the Rolex GMT, a superb addition to your collection---Name:  CA14E211-A789-4927-B060-73336104E912.jpeg
Views: 50
Size:  780.9 KB

Moser & Cie. Pioneer would fit your awesome collection.
    A Sea Dweller would definitely do a good job for the diver.
    Also consider the Grand Seiko Spring Drive GMT (LE in titanium?).
    Tick-tock in RoK GMT+9, no DST
    --
    Modern: Zenith El Primero Chronomaster, Piaget Upstream, Muhle Glashutte Seebataillon GMT, Eterna Madison Spherodrive, Vulcain Cricket 1951 Classic, Bell & Ross Space 3 GMT, Ralf Tech WRV 1977, Bulova Accutron Astronaut (c. 1966), Omega Speedmaster triple date, Sinn 556 Anniversary LE, Glycine Airman SST-12, Pulsar Date II (c. 1971), G-Shock Rangeman 9400, Vostok Classica
    Seiko: Grand Seiko SBGT035, Credor Node GCAT996, Grand Seiko 5641-7000 (1972), "Ashtray Tuna" 7C46-6009 (1987), 6139-7068 "Blue Eye" chrono (1974), Bell-Matic 4006-7012 (1971), King Quartz 9223-5000 (1981), Seikomatic J13044 (1963), 6119-6400 UFO (1974), 6309-7290 (1987), Silverwave 8221-5020 (1980), Majesta 9063-5020 (1984).

Cool and very considered collection. I wonder though is any collection ever really finished? Something new comes up to change the collections completeness versus the landscape of possibility? Of changes in perceptions towards the collection itself inwardly erodes its completeness?

I really donít know but I havenít heard many people talk about finishing a collection before. Everything seems to evolve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information