How has your taste evolved?

Thread: How has your taste evolved?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How has your taste evolved?

I've only been into watches seriously for a couple of years and have done some experimenting within the confines of a meager budget, but I was reflecting the other day on how my taste has evolved in that short period of time. There are some pieces/styles that I will always love as they got me hooked in the first place. I thought it might be interesting to start a thread on this and see where it takes us, any commonalities themes, etc. I guess I would break it down into 3 areas:

1. Styles/pieces/design elements that are near and dear to you, your favorites, your go-to's, the things you think you'll always love.

2 Styles/pieces/design elements that you weren't initially into but have since or are slowly warming up to

3.Styles/pieces/design elements that you can't see yourself ever appreciating.

I guess I'll start:

1. For me it started with divers. pain and simple. I've bought and sold a few and the Seiko Monster really started it for me (funny that I don't own it anymore.) For me it used to be the bigger/chunkier the better, although the pendulum has begun to swing the other way as I've discovered the limits of a 6.75" wrist with the Stowa Seatime (definitely pushing it for me but, oh, how I love the watch.) I'm starting to be drawn to the lower profile divers as they seem a good compromise, but most of the ones in my price range usually get the tag "sub-clone" :) But I'll always love the divers!

2. I've definitley warmed up to the pilot/flieger style and have since acquired an Archimede Pilot that I can't stop looking at when it's on the wrist. Never thought I'd be into the flat bezel-less style but funny how things change. Other things that are growing on me: tonneau cases, dress watches (still hard to imagine owning as my life doesn't have much call for it and I'd rather allocate the watch-buying budget elsewhwere>), quartz (never thought I'd say it), roman numerals, ana-digi watches

3.The no-no's: (please, no offense anyone, they just don't work for me) two-tone watches (shudder), tourbillons, mesh bracelets. I might end up eating those words, but somehow I don't think so.

Anyway, It will be interesting to see where I am a couple of years from now. How have your choices evolved? Please add to/modify the thread any way you see fit. Wanna play?

Seiko SKXA53

Citizen NY0040
    Citizen NY2300
    Hamilton Khaki
    Wenger Terragraph
    Casio GW-5600

Re: How has your taste evolved?

I have been collecting for about 5 years and though I have always been taken with Dive Watches, my taste has definitely changed.

I have recently turned my entire collection over and made a move into vintage divers. The need for papers used to be a big deal but with vintage that is rare. Over the last 3 months I have aquired:

2 Certina D2 Super PH1000's
    1 Benthos Aquastar
    1 Gruen Diver with the same case as the Zodiac Super Sea Wolf
    2 Ploprofs (on the way to Bienne)
    1 SM120 Chrono (at Bienne)
    1 Technos Chrono
    1 Aubrey era Sharkhunter

Very few of the original collection made it
    2DARK Hardwood Watch Boxes are the real deal

Wow! Now that's a 180 degree shift. Good for you. I wonder if I'd have the guts to do that someday. Hmmm...vintage...

Seiko SKXA53

Citizen NY0040
    Citizen NY2300
    Hamilton Khaki
    Wenger Terragraph
    Casio GW-5600

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by joppinger View Post
    I've only been into watches seriously for a couple of years and have done some experimenting within the confines of a meager budget, but I was reflecting the other day on how my taste has evolved in that short period of time. There are some pieces/styles that I will always love as they got me hooked in the first place. I thought it might be interesting to start a thread on this and see where it takes us, any commonalities themes, etc. I guess I would break it down into 3 areas:

1. Styles/pieces/design elements that are near and dear to you, your favorites, your go-to's, the things you think you'll always love.

2 Styles/pieces/design elements that you weren't initially into but have since or are slowly warming up to

Anyway, It will be interesting to see where I am a couple of years from now. How have your choices evolved? Please add to/modify the thread any way you see fit. Wanna play?
    I'll play. Great thread, btw.

I started about five years ago with a Hamilton Khaki Field Auto which I promptly returned for a quartz. Back then I was worried that I wouldn't wear my watch enough and would constantly have to set it. I always regretted that move though, although it would be four years until the bug really bit me and I bought the one that got away (since sold, of course! ).

My preference for styles is mostly clean, tool-ish, often military-inspired. Right now my daily wearer is a Fortis Flieger GMT. Also have a couple Hammies and Seikos. Looking at another Fortis right now. Also admire: Citizen, Tissot, Oris, Mido, Marathon, Glycine, Stowa, Tutima, Ball, Doxa, Sinn/Bell & Ross, Omega, IWC, etc. Anything that is all-purpose that can be worn in a variety of situations really appeals to my practical side. Oh yeah, and I'm anti-"bling".

A phase that I initially went through was the idea that "bigger is better". Not that I purchased anything huge in that period, but it was in my head, and I was looking at larger and larger pieces for my 6.5" wrist. Then I saw a WIS-ish friend (with similar-sized wrists) wearing a very thin, small (<36mm) Ebel that his dad gave him and it looked good. It made me re-consider my idea of diameter, and I started checking out 38mm stuff, even considering a 36.5mm Seamaster mid-size in the future (if I can still find one by then). Now I don't think I would even want something >42mm, certainly not >44mm, and at 44mm it would have to wear quite small.

I'm with you on probably never liking mesh or two-tone, and for mesh let's make that across the board, no mesh anything on my person unless I'm on safari. Also, no knock-offs. Not against homages, mind you, (although some of those can walk the line) but straight-up fakes are out for me. Again, I doubt I'll ever want a watch >44mm, just wouldn't look good on my wrist--now or 10 years from now. And I'm not anti-quartz, but I don't think I'd ever spend more than the current equivalent of $500 on a quartzie. Just too into autos to care. And in my current income bracket, could not see myself going above $3000 for a watch, no matter how nice. More $ coming in and who knows -- sky's the limit I suppose. Then bring on some Tourbillons! Just not blingy ones, of course.

I started with a Fortis Flieger and a TAG quartz diver about 4 years ago. I've since acquired maybe 40 watches ranging from fine handmade to inexpensive quartz. I have grown very fond of large divers and big pilots. I haven't sold off very much yet but I feel that time approaching. I also have a lot of vintage watches.

I definitely like modern sized watches with vintage looks. I think I will always appreciate the classic military styling.

I dislike two tone watches and watches with very busy dials. Not fond of day/date displays preferring date only or none at all. Used to think handwind movements were a pain now prefer them to most. Still despise all modern Rolexes but would own a 1940s-50s vintage one if it were the right watch.

One thing I have learned, never say never and there are certain exceptions to every rule. :)
    Rotating on my wrist this month: Stowa Blue WatchTime Flieger, Sinn EZM9, Sinn T1, Sinn 556 Blue, Stowa Antea LE Polish Forums, Stowa Verus 40, Damasko DS30 greenie, Sinn U1, Stowa Antea Klassik KS Rose, Nomos Tangente Silvercut

I guess I'll start:

1. For me it started with divers. pain and simple. I've bought and sold a few and the Seiko Monster really started it for me (funny that I don't own it anymore.) For me it used to be the bigger/chunkier the better, although the pendulum has begun to swing the other way as I've discovered the limits of a 6.75" wrist with the Stowa Seatime (definitely pushing it for me but, oh, how I love the watch.) I'm starting to be drawn to the lower profile divers as they seem a good compromise, but most of the ones in my price range usually get the tag "sub-clone" :) But I'll always love the divers!

2. I've definitley warmed up to the pilot/flieger style and have since acquired an Archimede Pilot that I can't stop looking at when it's on the wrist. Never thought I'd be into the flat bezel-less style but funny how things change. Other things that are growing on me: tonneau cases, dress watches (still hard to imagine owning as my life doesn't have much call for it and I'd rather allocate the watch-buying budget elsewhwere>), quartz (never thought I'd say it), roman numerals, ana-digi watches

3.The no-no's: (please, no offense anyone, they just don't work for me) two-tone watches (shudder), tourbillons, mesh bracelets. I might end up eating those words, but somehow I don't think so.

I am kind of the opposite. I started with pilot watches and chrono's. I then got my Seiko Orange Monster and fell in love with dive watches. Since then I have acquired a Rolex Submariner (3), a Rolex Seadweller, a Doxa Sub750T, an Omega Seamaster Bond, and a Marathon G-SAR. I have turned most of the pilot watches and all of the chrono's.

I am anxiously awaiting the release of the Ocean 7 LM3. I have an interest in the Ocean 7 LM1 but just don't know if it is the watch for me. Wish I could see one in person. If I could find a used one at a decent price I would buy it but hate to pull the trigger on a new one at full price and be disappointed. I wish they would sell out so I would quit dwelling on it.

Smurfe

WX1

I like this topic.

My answers to:

“1. Styles/pieces/design elements that are near and dear to you, your favorites, your go-to's, the things you think you'll always love.”

A: Stainless steel case. Classic, non-flashy, yet sturdy. And that SS should be brushed (great texture, understated yet significant design) at that. Same criteria required for the band. I like black dials. I like “true” water resistant bands (aforementioned SS, titanium [more on this later], rubber, others). I do really prefer plain watches that limit their dial movements to telling only the: 1) time and 2) date. Chronographs are cool and are acceptable, but, for me, the less metal arrows that could potentially fall off your dial and the less likelihood of stress that the use of chrono’ movements (and, yes, I know this shouldn’t happen with name brand watches, but, you never know sometimes) a watch can experience, the better. And I like the classic design of just the watch telling the time and date. A tastefully done/ode to functionality design around the dial (like the aviation-based measurements around the Hamilton Aviation QNE that I like right now; let’s see THAT tried to be copied or made a homage to without drawing “hey, Hamilton does that” exclamations; OK, OK, I could be wrong, but, I haven’t seen a watch yet that has the same avia’ markings as the Hamilton Aviation QNE I like right and sport every day now; anybody wanna show me?) especially when that design means to allude back to classic styling of design on a dial or meant to suggest a homage back an era, however real or imagined that design might have presented itself, is a good thing, too. And, I know I’ve already sorta’ mentioned, I’ve grown to designate the Hamilton brand – tough, great value for the price (indeed), Swiss-made (something else I like), can’t complain. Also ETA movement. While I don’t have a huge collection, these movements have proven themselves to me time and time (pardon the pun) again in normal and in (sometimes) harrowing situations where a need for dependable time was needed. One more preference: watches at least . . . well, 40mm if that’s all available, but, I REALLY prefer 42mm-47mm case sized watches. LOVE the sorta’ big watches.

“2. Styles/pieces/design elements that you weren't initially into but have since or are slowly warming up to”
    A:
    – One word: Titanium. Until recently, I wrote this metal off as “the gray color-crayoned metal.” When it comes to brass tacks, though, here’s metal that can brawl quite nicely with corrosion, and, as I understand it, one that is stronger than steel. All this I love about titanium, even when I still prefer brushed stainless steel right now as my choice for fav’ watch metal. If, one day, I DO find rust on an SS that I can't get rid of, well, maybe that'll be a time when titanium's THE metal of the day, no?

– I have re-warmed up to quartz over the last few years. When I discovered the worth of automatics (oh, say, ‘bout 5-7 years ago), my attitude was, “can’t BELIEVE I was wearing these [quartz brand]s this whole time.” But, you know . . . with the advancements of quartz in recent years regarding Seiko’s Kinetic line, Citizen’s Eco-Drive watches, quartz industry’s foray into chronographs, and the all-around dependability (except in certain cases, extreme as they may be; my “fav’” argument’s the survival of a mech’ vs. quartz in a scenario where an EMP presents itself. Yikes, I think the survival of the watch industry – as well as many other industries [as well as us?] – is in jeopardy if something like THAT occurs on a grand scale, so, I guess you can say, the ability to wear a quartz in confidence wherever you go on this planet means that life is pretty darn good, no? Whoops, mini-soapbox over) and, aesthetically speaking, the cool moniker of (thanks to this ‘site) “high-end quartz” (currently owning some of those “high-end quartz” brands helps, too) makes me think quartz is here to stay. And regarding battery-operated quartz models? When you figure all you need to do is change the battery, including servicing, done in a few minutes for, what? $10-$20 every 5-10 years vs. taking your autos, mechs, the watchmaker opening it up, injecting stuff in, whatever, maybe overnight, too (egad!!!! My preciouses away from me overnight?!? I’ll get no sleep!)? Quartz is really a great thing. And, in more than a few cases and ways, more than a few quartz models nowadays have some really great designs against their auto’/mech’ counterparts for a fraction (if not more discount) of the latter’s price. I still prefer auto-winds (such as my Hamilton), but, quartz, once again, is giving other movements a run for its money in some cases, methinks.

“3. Styles/pieces/design elements that you can't see yourself ever appreciating.”

A: I’ll second joppinger’s “don’t mean to offend,” and I’ll say, these are things that I just plain don’t prefer. Considered, tried hard to like, but, just don’t. My opinion, etc.

Maybe one day I’ll make an exception, but, watches with prices beyond, oh, let’s say $10,000 and up. Mercy. I am just not at the point where I’m comfortable (and, I’ll be objective enough to say, heck, maybe it’ll take a really great brick and mortar salesperson to “push me over the edge” OK, mental note, stay out of brick and mortars, heh) shelling out that much for a single watch; heck, my brow might not be dry paying $5,000 or more for a watch, for that matter. Granted, such watches look great (they’d better, for the money being asked for ‘em), though I SHOULD say “50/50 of such watches look great”; heck, I’ve seen some really ugh-looking high-high-high end priced models that I don’t think I’d purchase if I had the wealth of the top 5 richest countries combined, even. Anyway, I’ve not yet seen a five ($00,000) or six-figure watch that I couldn’t compare to another watch from a notable, trusted brand, costing a few hundred, few thousand with which I’d be just as happy. I consider myself a watch fan/aficionado, and, so, I’m glad they’re available at a range of prices that suits my tastes (and intestinal fortitude).

If given the choice, I don’t like square- or rectangle-shaped cases; but, I only “don’t like them” just slightly; there are some really great watches of those shapes out there, but, few and far between for my tastes. Watches should have a roundness to their cases, in my opinion.

– Man, I really do NOT like shiny/polished/mirrored metal cases or watch bands. Ugh. For my tastes, such finishes are just highly susceptible to noticeable scratches. Maybe there are some of such models that are coated with something to prevent the “sudden scratches/how-the-heck-did-it-get-there?-I-didn’t-do-it scratches,” but, in my experience (more on this later), I’m just completely disillusioned with this finish. I don’t even tend to like ‘em as trim/between links on a metal watch band. Yes, brushed stainless steel might end up harboring such “sudden scratches,” too, but, you end up looking real closely at the finish to really notice ‘em (at least in my case, but, I know I’m not alone). Nothing, NOTHING would make me so unnerved if I purchased a watch with that kind of smooth media and, then, significant scratches appear on it the next day. So, I just skip ‘em altogether in favor of more “brushed” metal altogether. Maybe, for I, this particular “no-no” comes from direct experience – the first automatic I purchased ended up this way, with “sudden scratches.” But, I guess following this experience (live and learn), I simply don’t mind just not considering such models for purchase anyway, not when there’s an abundance of models with the type of finish that I like from the very brands that I like.

Leather bands on 100+ feet water resistant watches. I haven’t even tried it on my one watch that I have like this (reserve that one for formal events, which I hardly go to anyway as I’m a t-shirt and shorts kinda’ guy ), but, my view on these watches is “oxymoron.” You mean to tell me that a leather band will sustain its own texture, shape, and/or form for, say, an avid-swimming wearer who enjoys sporting his/her watch while in the water? Or someone who lives somewhere where it rains enough? C’mon. And, yes, as I haven’t tried myself (and I do go swimming a bit) Heck, maybe I’m ignorant about this; I’m willing to hear any counterpoints.

Sponsored” watches. In other words, watches whose movement and casing just very well might be to my liking . . . but, the design, specific names (i.e., corporate, sports, other “celebrity”-type names outside of the watch’s own brand name), words, information on the dial that leaves no room for interpretation. People think you’re affiliated with the “name” or “brand” in question. Not talkin’ about the name of the watch brand or maker, I must reiterate; I am talking about how someone observing such a watch would (can’t-blame-‘em) ask, “oh, you work for [insert specific company name here]?” “Oh, I didn’t know you were into [insert name of sport and/or sport team here].” I was almost sold on one of these . . . until I noticed a logo on the watch in question. The salesperson didn’t even mention or point to it, so, I ended up getting something else for a few hundred less (with which I still have and am still happy, by the way). For my tastes, a watch should be all you, you know? And ambiguous enough to leave it to you to explain.

Thanks for the questions, joppinger!

I've pretty much gone from watches I could afford to those I can't
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

Quote Originally Posted by Tragic View Post
    I've pretty much gone from watches I could afford to those I can't
    That's the best answer I've read yet
    Wear what you like.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceS View Post
    That's the best answer I've read yet
    I envy you for taking the much wiser reverse path Bruce ol' pal!
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information