How has your taste in watches changed?
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: How has your taste in watches changed?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

How has your taste in watches changed?

I'd be interested in hearing how the other members' tastes in watches have changed over the period in which they've been interested in collecting them. Be sure to include how long you've been interested in the topic.

I've been interested in collecting watches for about a year and a half. I received my first "serious" watch earlier this year, a Rolex GMT Master II in black ceramic. I love its subtle class, it's robustness and its overall flexibility practicality. I think my experience with it has changed my perspective on collecting overall.

Some things I've noticed:

-I'm less interested in grail pieces. I'm a 23 year old right out of college, so I'm not going to buy any Langematik Perpetual any time soon. I still admire those pieces, but am more satisfied with the ones I might actually purchase in the next few years.

-I still like the clean, subtle look of a classic dress watch, but in actual use, chronographs give me more pleasure. I like being able to actively interact with the watch's functioning.

-I'm more interested in situation-appropriateness. I used to pine after the Patek Philippe Nautilus and Audemars Piguet Royal Oak. I still love the look and style of the Nautilus, but I wouldn't ever buy a fragile sport watch. Also, after the stories I've heard about excessive fragility in AP pieces, I've decided to never purchase one.

-In general, complications for the sake of complications mean less to me. The only reservation I have with my beloved GMT IIC is the independent hour change/full time change settings are easy to slip between when setting the time, so I might have been better off with the Green Submariner 116610LV I was considering. (I use the GMT complication occasionally, but it still might be a net negative in terms of daily use.)

-Prestigious brand names mean less to me. I used to be obsessed with Patek Philippe. Now, when I consider a classic dress watch for purchase, I'll consider things like Jaeger-Lecoultre and Glashütte Original: Great watches, even if they're not peak luxury. My personal enjoyment trumps the prestige of the manufacture.
    BusyTimmy and Jashley73 like this.

Banned

Re: How has your taste in watches changed?

I first started out preferring complications and over the years my taste has gotten simpler. GMT is a good simple dial that I like. My latest kick is no date simple dial watches

Pretty much the same, with a sidetrip every now and then.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Smaller and less flash, this may change in the future but I am also 23 and just don't see the appeal of the large and "blingy" watches. The GMTII is a great piece.

Sent from my iPhone using

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn 34 View Post
    I still love the look and style of the Nautilus, but I wouldn't ever buy a fragile sport watch. Also, after the stories I've heard about excessive fragility in AP pieces, I've decided to never purchase one.
    Sorry if this is a little off-topic, but I'm curious about this... any references or articles? I've not come across things talking about the fragility of high end watches.
    drhr likes this.
    ​Grand Seiko SBGE033, Jaquest Droz Grande Seconde, Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute, Prometheus Piranha, Orient Wingman, Zeppelin Flatline 7366-3, Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar, Epos Emotion 3390, Steinhart Ocean 2 Premium, Hamilton Khaki Field, Omega 1965 Vintage, Seiko 5 SNKK27, Seiko 1977 Vintage, Nomos Orion 38, Wittnauer 1960's Vintage, Movado SL1 Chrono, Seiko SBQK085, Cyma Le Locle, Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF

Back on-topic, I'd say my tastes have changed mainly in that I appreciate simpler or more classic designs a lot more. I've only been learning about watches this year, but there's still been a change. At first, chronographs and other complicated watches, or industrial, complicated cases. But as I learned more, I started to appreciate simpler watches too - things like Rolex and Grand Seiko. (Yes, some of the forum members here have certainly gotten to me...)

My tastes have also gone up i price, unfortunately. I would have thought $1000 for a watch was crazy prior to joining here, but I've got a couple not far from that, and I'm saving to go way over that.
    Sandalwood likes this.
    ​Grand Seiko SBGE033, Jaquest Droz Grande Seconde, Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute, Prometheus Piranha, Orient Wingman, Zeppelin Flatline 7366-3, Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar, Epos Emotion 3390, Steinhart Ocean 2 Premium, Hamilton Khaki Field, Omega 1965 Vintage, Seiko 5 SNKK27, Seiko 1977 Vintage, Nomos Orion 38, Wittnauer 1960's Vintage, Movado SL1 Chrono, Seiko SBQK085, Cyma Le Locle, Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn 34 View Post
    I still love the look and style of the Nautilus, but I wouldn't ever buy a fragile sport watch.
    You won't have to worry about a Nautilus or Aquanaut being fragile, they simply are not.

I've gained a kind of dual WIS preference. I got hooked at around 23, and I preferred dressy watches.

I soon went into a Seiko diver phase that lasted about two years, collected all sorts of Seiko divers. When I got the Seiko fan favorite, the Seiko MM300, I realized I liked more subdued, smaller pieces. So, I sold the MM300 and bought something more comfortable for my wrists, the Sinn 556i, at 38.5 mm in case diameter.

A year later starting to gravitate towards larger watch sizes, but I think my sweet spot is 40-42. I also gained a fascination with tougher, sturdier watches so German watches appeal to me. At about the same time, I developed a fascination with G-shocks (ignored them for the most part) so I have pretty much a double collection going on.

For mechanical watches, I prefer clean, highly legible designs with an understated yet bold appearance. I enjoy my Damasko DA37 for its worry-free technology and extremely legible design. It's not for everyone, but it's perfect for me. For G-shocks, almost anything goes size-wise, but I like the generic Walmart square ones the best. My favorite watch isn't even an auto, but the Casio GW-5000, a modern homage to the first G-shock.

In terms of brand preference, I've gone from ignoring G-shocks (gaudy designs) and Rolex (way too blingy and attention grabbing) to admiring pieces from both lines. Not too interested in "grails" anymore, but my exit watch could be the SubC. Perfect size for my wrists, iconic design and versatile watch and not the diamond encrusted piece I originally thought was the norm for Rolex.
    Cobia likes this.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

Mine hasn't changed much but it has become more refined.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottovonn View Post
    A year later starting to gravitate towards larger watch sizes, but I think my sweet spot is 40-42. I also gained a fascination with tougher, sturdier watches so German watches appeal to me. At about the same time, I developed a fascination with G-shocks (ignored them for the most part) so I have pretty much a double collection going on.
    I've noticed I've also began to gravitate towards larger watches. I used to be happy with my 38mm Submariner homage by Casio for years, but it began to look weird to me after getting a few larger divers and chronos and I almost don't wear it anymore. I also realised that I'm a natural quartz guy - I've always been one, but mostly for economic reasons; now I know that I love the advantages of quartz too much to make that switch, even though my WIS friends are encouraging me to.

I've begun to appreciate classic dress(y) watches - I used to think that they're boring, bland, and old-fashioned, but after I began to notice little details and differences in design, I warmed up to them. I still wouldn't get one because they don't fit my style, but I'm glad I'm able to appreciate them now.

But what was most interesting to me was that through exposure to thousands of watch pictures and dozens of watches in real life, I began to understand why I like what I like and what that says about me in a number of ways. Watches aren't special in this regard, many personal effects allow for self-expression, but I happen to be most interested in watches. And like any such knowledge, it's sort of double-exponential: you start with nothing and then it expands and grows more and more, but the more you know, the more you realise just how much more there is to discover, learn, and/or realise.
    Ottovonn likes this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information