How have your watch preferences changed over time?

Thread: How have your watch preferences changed over time?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How have your watch preferences changed over time?

Hey guys,

Just curious how some of you who have been collecting for years have noticed your tastes changing over those years.

I'm still relatively young @ 24, and though I have been interested in watches all my life (inherited it from my dad), working full time is slowly opening up more doors in the hobby :D. I find my current interests really revolve solely around dive (Sinn, Oris, Seiko, Citizen, etc..) and adventure (Suunto, Casio) watches. But I don't know if that's partially because of my age and current interests.

I don't know what triggered the thought, but I just started wondering what watches I'd be wearing 5, 10, 25, and 40 years from now. I promised myself, now that I've got more steady income, that I'd shop quality over quantity ALL the time. But what happens as my definition of quality changes over the years??

All you seasoned enthusiasts, share your wisdom!

Re: How have your watch preferences changed over time?

Gone through the usual phases (Rolex, Movado ect) , but pretty much,
    still the same.

I've kept the same tastes for several years...

GMT, chronographs and dive watches. That's my preference.

I like bracelets too. So far no deviation except one watch. Other than that, pretty much the same.

Frank

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

From the time I started wearing watches, I've liked chronographs...the more stuff squashed onto the dial, the better.

Now, the more I look at this site, I'm finding that I prefer more simple dive watches. I'm a biologist, I spend a lot of time in the field, and I'm normally pretty hard on all my gear, so I'll probably never like the more professional looking watches. They're just not my style.

The more dive watches I look at, the more I like the style of the Bernhardt Sea Shark. I had almost convinced myself into buying a TX 730, but I just can't get past the simple, stunning look of the dark grey Sea Shark.

I'm going watch "looking" after work today, just to see if I can find a brand or style I've overlooked. However, I'm almost 100% positive that I'll be giving Fred a call on Monday morning to order the Sea Shark.

Great stuff!

Any reference as to how long of a time period you guys have been collecting?

It'd be great news to hear that it doesn't change too much for most people. I'd feel more at ease putting the money into watches.

I currently tend to shy away from most bracelets, preferring the wide range of strap options on most watches. I too like complicated dials, so the occasional chrono is thrown into the mix with my preference for dive watches.

Small watches are an absolute turn-off for me as well.

absolutely, though my preferences changes have had more to do with styling and usage than with brands.

As I remember, originally it was all about telling time, then as I got older cool styling became paramount (swatch or lorus were IT then), then tough/sport styling became more desirable (teen boy had to look good for teen girls right?) and surf watches or G-s became more appealing. Then came college and I was broke, so a watch had to be reliable and wear multiple hats, so several sport/dress fossils picked up the bill. The came work life and disposable income and a handful of more expensive quartz analogs from established brands. Finally that was followed by interest and I started delving into vintage and mechanicals, and more specifically 60's and 70's Asian watches. Of those, my initial interest were chronos, but as time has passed, I have refocused and a clear preference for divers, sport divers and sport watches has emerged.

My tastes started out with Russian pieces, then very quickly over to Swiss pieces...and now [because of WUS] I am getting into Chinese Made pieces...what it comes down to is that there is not a lot out there I don't like. The watch industry consistently surprises me on a near month to month basis [i.e. Urwerk's turbine UR-202, a flying tourbillon for under 600.00] It's flat absurd in the best possible way
    Cheers!
    Craig M.
    Somerville, MA
    The Escapement Watch Blog
    The Escapement on Twitter

“If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker.” - Albert Einstein

Watches:
    Breitling Super Avenger Chronograph . Rolex Rebberg Trench Watch . Tag Heuer F1 Chrono . Tissot T-Touch . Tissot T-Race . Million Smart Flying Tourbillon . Zodiac Dragon Wing . Invicta Skeleton 3379 . Invicta Pro Diver 8926 . Scooby-Doo Chrono [A7750] . Alpha "Sea" . Alpha Jump Hour . Vostok CK-1 Orange . Poljot 2614.2H Movement . Gruen Quartz 'Soviet' . G-Shock GW300A-1V / G9000-8V 'Stormtrooper' . Timex Perpetual Calender . Vintage Helbros [Felsa 690 Mvt] ....Among others

Go Yankees!

Started off with the diver's watches, the Breitlings and the big pilot chronographs - then into classic mechanical complication watches - but now am leaning towards the more elegant classic designs, sleek and slim and high quality, but with an absolute requirement - clarity - I must be able to read the time easily and without turning the watch to catch the light.
    So no chromed hands or numerals, cut out the reflections and the "too busy" dial design.
    So going simple but with quality.

So why have I just bought an Oceanus Manta Atomic then.....

RT

Was n2 big bulky watches(ss/bracelets), now find myself stearing more towards classic looks(leather bands).Maybe cause I was lacking them in my collection?
    Always loved swiss movts, but will try german in the future.

If it looks good/feels good buy it

I don't think my tastes have changed much. I still prefer diver/tool watches to all others. However, I have had to adjust my watch-buying budget a few times so that I can get a particular watch. The unforeseen consequence is that I've become exposed to so many more brands that I might not have considered before.
    Scott

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information