How important is finishing?
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: How important is finishing?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

How important is finishing?

All this talk about this nebulous term known as finishing.
    Apparently Grand Seiko is one of kings of fine finishing but how important is it? Isn’t finishing something you can only really see under a loupe or if you run the tip of your nose along a case?

People rave over finely finished watches while I’m still gnashing my teeth at discordant design elements.
    kalburnfall likes this.
    “If we could be satisfied with anything, we should have been satisfied long ago.”
    ― Seneca

Re: How important is finishing?

I make sure all my watches are finished. Hence my disdain for Kickstarter.

I don't like the 'Blacksmith look'.
    kclee likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    I don't like the 'Blacksmith look'.
    Ahem. rustic. The tsu-i -Ki finishing costs more.
    “If we could be satisfied with anything, we should have been satisfied long ago.”
    ― Seneca

I would love Grand Seiko finishing on all of my watches but I know it's generally a price point detail for the most part.

I mean, if a Seiko 5 isn't perfect, I get it. But I've also heard of people complaining about QC in the $5,000 - $10,000+ range,
    which is unacceptable.

I refuse to look at my watches under a loupe like others here because you can always find something wrong if you look...hard enough.
    Anglo Irish and Metlin like this.
    "Nothing happens until something moves." -Albert Einstein
    Damasko | Hamilton | Longines | Mido | Orient | Oris | Rolex | Timex

Depends....
    Consider watch function, price, intended use...

I have Seiko Orange Monster. Finishing is not something I'd ever utter in a same sentence as Orange Monster. It's a tool watch through and through. utilitarian, ugly, and beautiful in its own way.

My Omega SMP has nice case finishes. The movement is a modified ETA 2892. Tough as nails, reliable, accurate, durable. Movt finish is not what I think about with a diver like Omega SMP (or Rolex Sub for that matter), especially as it's solid caseback.

Once we get into dressy watches, expectations shift. I want to see more finishing and decoration around externally visible components. The hands, the indices, crown, bezel, case finishes - all of these are now in consideration. At higher prices especially - I want to see quality finishing with a naked eye. Same for movement, and there better be a display caseback.

Once price comes into equation - expectations shift accordingly. While I find Montblanc Heritage ultraslim or Zenith Elite to be beautiful watches and have nice finishes - that does nto extend to movements. And that's ok at their pricepoint. But when we talk $10-20K+, I want finishing on movement to be to the level that it is consistent even with a loupe and 10x magnification.

And of course there are different aspects to finishing. My recent purchase was triggered by appreciation of old-school techniques and cool finishes. It has a basic ETA 649x movt. And it's unlikely that movement finishes rival those of high-end pieces (polishes on all parts including those invisible). But I was specifically looking for finishing visible to the eye.
    So in my view - if one is looking for certain distinguishing or exclusive finishing touches, they can certainly be worth it.
    Be it hand guilloche subdial, hand engine turned plate decoration, hand-engraved balance cock, breguet frosting application on the dial, or whatever else.

Name:  IMG_2871.JPG
Views: 290
Size:  1.61 MBName:  IMG_2873.JPG
Views: 287
Size:  1.00 MB
    steadyrock and BigSeikoFan like this.
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
    "Don?t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" Greg King
    ?Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.? Mark Twain
    "The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
    "A Rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a Rose will possess the Rose's fragrance." BB Warfield

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stark View Post
    I refuse to look at my watches under a loupe like others here because you can always find something wrong if you look...hard enough.
    So true. This is why I think I need to get rid of my loupe. The temptation to use it is always there, and I just know I'll find something that will irk me.

Pre-treatment attitude on finishing:

Treatment:

Name:  12s.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  369.2 KB

Post treatment:
    chuasam likes this.

important

Name:  41E4B839-5504-411B-8CCD-2076D9ABFA1A.jpeg
Views: 278
Size:  2.26 MBName:  22C0125A-E011-4FD8-8587-4CB2B5475798.jpeg
Views: 284
Size:  1.66 MBName:  80727F75-8AA2-426E-BB40-9953390CFCE5.jpeg
Views: 289
Size:  1.07 MBName:  BBE78778-B052-456E-90AB-816DAD1C3B33.jpeg
Views: 271
Size:  591.4 KB
    bluedialer and Paulo 8135 like this.
    Breguet Type XX, IWC Aquatimer Chronograph "Jacques Yves Cousteau", IWC Portuguese Automatic, JLC Deep Sea Cermet, JLC Tribute to Polaris 1965, Omega Speedmaster Professional, Panerai 233 "Dot", Panerai 439 Oro Rosso, Patek Philippe 5130G World Time, Rolex Datejust, Rolex Seadweller, Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph 49150, Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Traditionnelle Chronograph.

IG: bvllitt

Finishing has to be important - otherwise why would you pay so much money for a watch that is no more accurate than one costing 1/10 as much (particularly in the movement, which most people will never see)? But lots of people do, so QED finishing matters.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information