How important is it to replace the gasket when modding a crystal replacement?
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: How important is it to replace the gasket when modding a crystal replacement?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How important is it to replace the gasket when modding a crystal replacement?

Do you typically replace the gasket in your own past experience modding watch crystals?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    “One's own character inevitably comes to resemble the things one spends most of one's day with.”
    Antiphon

Re: How important is it to replace the gasket when modding a crystal replacement?

I don't mod, but I would think that anything I opened up I would want sealed correctly when finished, so a new gasket gets my vote.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Re: How important is it to replace the gasket when modding a crystal replacement?

I have modded a few seiko's and per my watch guy it is a must to replace the gasket. I stand by his advice, especially since it is a ridiculously cheap part.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Nokie View Post
    I don't mod, but I would think that anything I opened up I would want sealed correctly when finished, so a new gasket gets my vote.
    ^This.

Let's say it's a year old watch; the back is opened, movement removed and maybe hands and/or dial are changed, movement returned, new case back gasket (maybe a crown/stem gasket(s)), case back tightened appropriately, why would a crystal gasket need to be replaced? Obviously if the crystal is removed for any reason certainly the gasket should be replaced but barring that, I see no need to replace it.

EDIT: just re-read it, when doing a crystal mod so yes, certainly the gasket needs to be replaced. It could have been torn or punctured or somehow the integrity has been impinged.
    http://veteranswatchmakerinitiative.org/
    Training Combat Disabled Vets to become Watchmakers
    https://www.gofundme.com/VWIBulova

Depends... Do you want to maintain/ensure any level of water/moisture resistance? If the answer is yes, replace it.

Always, always ALWAYS replace the crystal gasket. Especially for the plastic flat gasket variety (O-rings might be fine with re-use, but still, I'd replace those too given the chance). They work like single-use crush washers. There's a guy on YouTube who does sapphire swaps on cheap Seikos and I cringe every time he pops up on my searches, and I don't watch his channel at all anymore. He is categorically wrong in skipping this. He just drops in the new crystal leaving the original gasket in there, then plays with hand puppets and silly voices like it's such a simple thing to do. This method will work fine if you don't get any moisture on the watch, or don't do any slight physical activity (where your wrist warms up) but for anyone where temperature and humidity fluctuates between seasons, you're asking for trouble in the form of fog in the inside of the watch. Most of us live in an area with seasonal swings, or exude a nominal amount of physical effort in a day's time, and the watch will fog up without replacing the crystal. If you're sitting at a desk all day, maybe his method works fine. This same guy also uses the $10 crystal press you can get on eBay and Amazon - DON'T DO THIS EITHER. Those things are notoriously misaligned, and even if you do replace the gasket properly, you might wind up clamping your new crystal down in a slightly crooked manner, which will allow moisture to seep in, and then with the slightest amount of physical activity - fogged up watch.

I know this from messing around with my son on his SNK collection. We invested in a decent crystal press (not cheap!), and always replace the gaskets. Now there's no more fog. Also, a little silicone can go a long way to help create a better seal.

If you're getting into this, go to a thrift store and buy a bunch of crappy quartz watches and just practice popping the stock crystals on and off. Maybe buy a bag of assorted gaskets from Esslinger.com or something so you get the hang of it before taking the plunge with something you truly care about.

EDIT: Call around to local watch or jeweler stores. Kindly ask them if they'll swap crystals for you. Tell them you'll provide the crystal and the gasket, all they have to do is press it in. This will help you avoid the need to buy the press, and potentially screw it up. I understand the need to tweak things - I'm a tweaker too - but if it's something you care about, have a pro do it.
    Last edited by Dan T.; June 18th, 2019 at 00:42.
    X2-Elijah likes this.
    "I think I may make bold to say, that there is neither any other Mechanical or Mathematical thing in the World that is more beautiful or curious in texture than this my watch or Timekeeper for the Longitude..." ~John Harrison F.R.S., 1759

My WIS Confessions

A new gasket is preferred but not critical IMO, if the gasket is hard to find.

The gasket works in the same way as the seal on plastic water or soft drink bottles, i.e. a combination of smooth surfaces (at least one of which has elastic properties) and pressure. You don't need to replace the plastic cap with a new one every time you want to re-seal a coke bottle and that gasket is the same. If the gasket is quite new and undamaged (check by feeling it gently in your fingers and visual inspection with a loupe) the chances are it is good to go. Do make sure it is clean with no particles or dust before attempting to press and if in doubt pressure testing is more important than a new gasket.

BTW, silicone is NOT a good idea. Silicone lube in itself does not create a watertight seal, it's main function is to prevent damage through friction such as on the stem O-ring as you turn your crown. Lube will help make it easier to push the crystal in but most watch crystals are held in place by friction which silicone lube greatly reduces thereby increasing the likelyhood of your crystal popping out with minor impact.
    Last edited by obomomomo; June 18th, 2019 at 04:39.
    Bulova> 96A225. Casio> 5600E. Damasko> DS30. GrandSeiko> SBGH205. Rolex> 116500LN, 16710, 214270. Seiko> SARB017, SARB033, SARG007, SBDX017, SLA017, SRP777.

Where is a good place to check gasket sizes?
    I need to buy one for my Seiko Turtle and a Mako II.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    “One's own character inevitably comes to resemble the things one spends most of one's day with.”
    Antiphon

Never messed with crystal gaskets but I opened the back of a seiko 007 dozens of times whilst trying to regulate it and never replaced the gasket but I was careful to clean and lubricate it and didn’t have any problems.

Still have it and it I still haven’t got it regulated right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information