How important of a role in buying a watch is price value retention?
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: How important of a role in buying a watch is price value retention?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

If you are going to keep a watch forever, then of course it makes absolutely no difference. Many of us are flippers however. Todays grail becomes next weeks sale. And nobody knows for certain how well we will like any given watch over time as we live with it for a year or two.

So lets consider the purchase of a reasonably expensive watch (value retention of a $500 watch is pretty meaningless). Do you still buy a $5000+++ watch knowing that the brand in question does not hold value well?

Of course, if value retention were the only factor in better watches, we would all buy only Rolex and Patek which can usually be resold for 90%+ of their original MSRP (as long as you choose the model with respect to resalability, there are some Rolexes and Pateks that are notoriously unpopular and difficult to sell). But most other brands just don't hold up that well and often sell for 50% MSRP used. These brands need to be purchased new with at least 20-25% off MSRP or you will really get burnt. Rolex and Patek new discounts are usually minimal at best.

There are some watches that are extaordinarily difficult to sell on the used market (I won't name names) and you will likely take even more than a 50% haircut if you can get it sold at all. Are you brave enough to buy a watch like this?

So how important is value retention of a particular watch in your buying decision?

Re: How important of a role in buying a watch is price value retention?

It's somewhat important to me, but not among my higher priorities such as quality and aesthetics.

I am not a flipper so I don't buy watches with 'ease of resale' as a consideration, however I do like knowing my watches retain much of their value. I feel this way about any luxury product.

I don't think I could ever buy a watch that resells for less than say 50% of its typical purchase price, more because I'd feel I'm overpaying initially.
    drhr, kf3506 and TimeSaver like this.

Based in South east asia, travelling between

Value retention is not important at all for me. I buy to wear, selling never cross my mind when I'm considering to purchase a watch. If a watch holds value well, I'm even more unlikely to sell it because it will probably continue to be well in demand, such as my rolex daytona.
    drhr likes this.
    W.A.S. Watch Acquisition Syndrome Patient.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Until you manage to utilize time travel its irrelevant because no one knows what the future will hold.

Sure Rolex might be desired now but who knows in 20,30, 40, 50+ years time.
    drhr likes this.
    Fiery the Angels Fell.

http://www.savewalterwhite.com/

It's typically secondary for me. I recently bought a piece that isn't seen too often here. If I tried to sell it, I'd guess that there's be a significant hit on the asking price because demand is likely low, despite the lack of discounting on new pieces.

The more a brand discounts, or the more we see a brand regularly discounted on the DoD sites, for example, the lower the value proposition, unless you buy at the bottom of the cycle. Those are the types of brands I tend to avoid, anyhow.

It is of no consequence. Watches are my hobby. I have a budget for my hobby. That's that.

One thing I avoid like death is the idea that you can manage a hobby on business principles. You end up with either a bad hobby or a bad business.
    TristanZ

Audemars Piguet Bernhardt Breitling Corum JeanRichard Elgin Eterna Gerald Genta Hamilton
    IWC Jaeger-LeCoultre
    Omega Rolex Seiko Timex Vache
    ron Constantin Zenith

Horologium manuale meum stitit.

Very low priority, purchases based pretty much on aesthetics and sometimes uniqueness (think Ochs und Junior) so resale values typically low. And I can walk the talk with the best, having resold more than my fair share of pieces within a short period of time post acquisition (sometimes within a month) for (sometimes) large losses. Comes with the territory. Don't like it, of course, but I am having fun and that's the most important thing for me with this crazy passion and life in general . . . .
    A.Lange & Sohne * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Meraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

I suppose the more confident that I will keep the watch for the long run, the less important resale value becomes. On a few occasions I've picked up a watch either under market price, or a watch with a high expected value retention, if I was less certain of my interest in keeping it. But for the watch I want to keep, to pass on to the next generation, it is the watch rather than any conjectural resale value that matters.
    Over a half century of "just the right amount of odd."

Value retention is not a high priority but it does correlate well with how classical vs fashionable the watch is. I find that brands that function more of a fashion jewelry like chopard, hermes, montblanc that changes their models often do not retain value as well as brands like rolex, panerai, omega that are more traditional and consistent in how each model looks. I think part of why the latter brands retain value better is because their classical look is always "in fashion" and do not go out of style whereas the former watches changes their style often and do not carry the aesthetics value over time.

Little or none.
    Rick

Incoming: Heuer Autavia 'Siffert'

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information