How long can an automatic last without a service? - Page 3
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: How long can an automatic last without a service?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: How long can an automatic last without a service?

it's pretty shocking to hear of these high-end watches stopping in just 10 years. I get starting to be unstable or losing power reserve etc, but if my 0 jewel pin lever escapement $10 Timex can make it 40 years...

Banned

They should not. We do not if the movement was exposed to an external force, or similar. Maybe water ingress?

I've heard of a number of Grand Seikos from the 60s still running reasonably well unserviced. I can't personally confirm them though. Again, I do have my Timex that's still working okay. It probably wasn't very accurate to begin with, so it's hard to say how much it's dropped.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm guessing that long before you have to worry about servicing the Mako, you will have moved on to other watches. It's a $ 100 auto - I wouldn't worry too much about service intervals.

For what its worth, I inherited my dad's 50 year old Movado Kingmatic a couple of years back Found it in a drawer after my Mom passed. I gave a few spins and it started right up. And my old man died in 1971. Took it to a local watchmaker, had it serviced for $50 and it runs great.
    Last edited by DenverBuff; April 19th, 2012 at 02:35.
    CitizenM likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBuff View Post
    I'm guessing that long before you have to worry about servicing the Mako, you will have moved on to other watches. It's a $ 100 auto - I wouldn't worry too much about service intervals.

For what its worth, I inherited my dad's 50 year old Movado Kingmatic a couple of years back Found it in a drawer after my Mom passed. I gave a few spins and it started right up. And my old man died in 1971. Took it to a local watchmaker, had it serviced for $50 and it runs great.
    Great example of how most "vintage" watches are treated. In its 50yr life, how many ACTUAL years did the Movado get worn, 10, maybe 15? Most older watches appear to work "fine" because they've been sitting in a box for 80% of its life. I highly doubt a mechanical watch can be worn daily for 50yrs and still function...

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    Which on an Automatic should be the Rotor bearings. Of course, there are different techs. nand qualities.
    Steel bearings - need lubrication, without that they self destruct fairly rapidly.
    Ceramic ball bearings - lasts longer, but you find those only on a few high end watches.
    The oil will probably gum-up before that happens.

If you don't plan on servicing a watch, don't plan on it working longer than 10 to 15 years.

(It might work longer than that, but don't plan on it...)
    Janne and CitizenM like this.
    familiaritas parit contemptum; raritate admiratione wins.- Lucius Apuleius
    est necessry, accurate ad secundo? - Lysander magna
    iustum est horologium - Obscurus Genius

What an arbitrary thread.

It can last a century or just a few years, or in the case of my Seamaster 2 years.

I have2 hand-me -downs that are over 100 years old and keep good time, and I doubt were ever serviced (pocket watches). I don't use them because they sould be serviced for sentimental reasons, but the service will cost way more than they are worth.

Who knows? One must consider how much it's actually used to figure in wear. Is it 5 years of continual operation or 5 years old, more than half of which is spent in non-use?

When it goes south get it serviced.

Banned

Get it serviced before it goes south.

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    Get it serviced before it goes south.

Lol, what am I psychic? My watch started loosing 20 seconds per day, sent it off had it serviced. How was I to know it would do that before it did? It was two years old.

Now granted it may have sat somewhere for 60-70 years (Omega Seamaster) but otherwise before it went south it was 2 seconds+ per day.

Quote Originally Posted by bczolone View Post
    Lol, what am I psychic? My watch started loosing 20 seconds per day, sent it off had it serviced. How was I to know it would do that before it did? It was two years old.

Now granted it may have sat somewhere for 60-70 years (Omega Seamaster) but otherwise before it went south it was 2 seconds+ per day.
    For any vintage watch, if you're not sure about its history but intend on keeping it, get it serviced before strapping it on your wrist! Would you drive a 60yr old car w/o knowing how long it's been sitting in a garage? It's the same thought process for a vintage watch. Instead of being reactive (which WILL end up costing you a fortune), be proactive...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information