How long can an automatic last without a service?
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: How long can an automatic last without a service?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

How long can an automatic last without a service?

So I just made a deal here in the sales forum and got an Orient Mako. This will be my first mechanical watch in ages. I'm curious, as I plan to use this watch as an everyday watch/beater for a VERY long time. On a lower-end entry level movement like the one in the Orient, for how long can I expect it to keep decent time without a service? I've heard of watches like Rolex's and Omega's lasting a full 50+ years without one, but those are generally higher quality more complicated movements. I'm asking for a lower end Japanese automatic movement. I'm think maybe 15 years max before it starts gaining and loosing a dramatic amount of time daily. What do you say?

Banned

Re: How long can an automatic last without a service?

It is rare if a movement, it does not matter who made it, functions for decades writhout needing a service. If you wait unill it starts misbehaving grossly, you are risking doing serious damage to the movement.
    The recommendation is somewhere between 5 and 10 years.
    I do not think it matters much who made the movement, as long as it is fully jewelled, and it was properly lubricated from the factory.
    Many of the heaper watches were thrown away not because they broke, but becausecthey were seen as "cheap junk".
    Most people know the Omega and Rolex brands, and knowvthey are fairly expensive, so they were not thrown away.
    CitizenM and lvt like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nato060 View Post
    So I just made a deal here in the sales forum and got an Orient Mako. This will be my first mechanical watch in ages. I'm curious, as I plan to use this watch as an everyday watch/beater for a VERY long time. On a lower-end entry level movement like the one in the Orient, for how long can I expect it to keep decent time without a service? I've heard of watches like Rolex's and Omega's lasting a full 50+ years without one, but those are generally higher quality more complicated movements. I'm asking for a lower end Japanese automatic movement. I'm think maybe 15 years max before it starts gaining and loosing a dramatic amount of time daily. What do you say?
    More complicated movements will probably require MORE maintenance...

As for the Orient, similar to what Janne estimated, I'll be happy to get 10 yrs of service out of my Blue and Yellow Mako.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

I fid not mean 5 to 10 years lifespan, I mean time between servicing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nato060 View Post
    10 Although it can last 15+ years without giving signs of it being out range of normal operation, because of the nature of mechanical watches, I would never actually expect 15+ years etc...I would just be hopeful....especially if it is a pre-owned watch.

There is a recent thread where many posters mention their not so expensive (seiko etc) mechanical that has lasted them 20+ 30+ 40+ years without any kind of servicing. I have a few 40+ year old, lower cost mechanicals, never serviced, with no signs of any issues.

I'm a little unclear on what the OP is interested in. Like, low-end Japanese movements specifically, thus excluding 1960s Grand Seikos and so on?

I'm only really familiar with the King Seiko and Grand Seiko movements of the day. They seem to be doing well.

I'm wearing a pin lever Timex from the 1960s that's never been serviced right now. It gains 2 minutes a day, but I guess that's not bad for $10 watch with 0 jewels.

I own an Orient (King Diver). Bought it new in 1977. First service in 2011. It ran fine; the only reason I had it serviced is posts here on WUS got me thinking I was grinding the movement into atoms by not having it serviced (and rightly so).
    Is it possible to run a mechanical watch for 3, 4, or 5 decades without service? Yes.
    Is it recommended? No.

~Sherry.
    CitizenM and CMTFR like this.
    PM is not working for me. If you need to contact me, please email. Thanks! popokinui1(at)gmail(dot)com

i'm hoping its 10-15 years as I at most wear each watch only once every two weeks during the rotation...
    :)

14060m, 16200, Pam48, AT8500, El Primero 1969, Speedy FOIS, Antea KS, Orion Minimatik, ST8000SA Tourbillon, Zeppelin 7618-1

want: ALS Saxonia, PP Nautilus,

I knew of 2 Rolexs that almost ground to a halt after 9 years.

Garden City Park, New York, United States

I guess the Q is a 100 mako (or mako xl) essentially disposable.. or what would a service cost..
    MikeCfromLI

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information