How long can I leave Seiko 6139 on Automatic winder?

Thread: How long can I leave Seiko 6139 on Automatic winder?

How long can I leave Seiko 6139 on Automatic winder?

Hi!

I just acquired a Seiko 6139-8029 that I am going to give my guy for his birthday - his birthday is over a month away (7 weeks in fact), and the watch is currently set fully correctly (correct day, correct date, correct time). I also just got an automatic winder, and my intent is to keep it wound until I wrap it to give to him so that I don't have to go through setting the day and date again.

The automatic winder offers the following options:

1. Rotate clockwise for 6 minutes, stop for 30 minutes, then for 6 minutes again, etc., indefinitely.

2. Rotate counterclockwise for 6 minutes, stop for 30 minutes, then for 6 minutes again, etc., indefinitely.

3. Rotate clockwise for 20 minutes, then stop for 10 minutes, then rotate counterclockwise for 20 minutes, then stop for 10 minutes, and so on, indefinitely.

4. Rotate clockwise for 10 minutes, then counterclockwise for 10 minutes, then clockwise for 10 minutes, etc. and so on for 3 continuous hours. Then it will stop for 9 hours. Then it will repeat the cycle.

My question is this: can I keep it being automatically wound, on the winder, for 7 straight weeks, or could the mechanism be damaged from being so constantly wound? If it's ok to keep it on the winder for that whole time, which option (1, 2, 3, or 4) would be the best?

Thank you!

Annie

Re: How long can I leave Seiko 6139 on Automatic winder?

Hi Annie,

Don't worry: I have a Seiko 5 automatic and 3 Tissot's on a winder since 8 months and they keep on ticking just fine. 2 Tissots keep time exactly, one Tissot and the Seiko 5 lost a few minutes...

As for the best winding option I have no idea/ Mine winds every 10 minutes for 1 minute, each time in opposite position.

So go ahead! 7 weeks is nothing!

Bruno in Paris

You won't damage the watch. I might go for option #4 - you'll reduce wear and tear and don't know which direction will wind the watch anyway.

Personally, I don't believe in watch winders but now that you have it.... And it's better to keep the watch set than to change the date if you don't know what you're doing and strip the gears because the date was changed too close to midnight on the watch. But you may have to change the date anyway. If so, make sure the watch changes the date at midnight not 12:00 noon and if you need to change the date do it during daylight hours.
    Last edited by Gary123; April 1st, 2015 at 21:59.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat Evo, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Paul Picot Plongeur, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero.. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Chopard Pro 1, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub ti, Monta OceanKing, Breitling SOH II

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Bruno and Gary, thank you both *so* much!!

Annie

Ard

How very thoughtful of you, and then to join here to be sure you are getting it right, outstanding!

Like the fellows have said, no worries, I have an old Bulova that is on the winder almost all the time with no harn done.

Ard

Pretty awesome Annie!

Remember, when worn on the wrist they stay at or close to fully wound in the normal course of things so don't worry about causing damage - it'll be fine.
    Good looking watch too.
    You sound like a WIS' dream.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

JUUUST in case you're unaware (this line is what's making me wonder?)....

Quote Originally Posted by AnnePMitchell View Post
    I also just got an automatic winder, and my intent is to keep it wound until I wrap it to give to him so that I don't have to go through setting the day and date again.
    To set the calendar on a 6139, set the DAY first by pushing the crown REALLY firmly in, this should advance the day and date once, keep at that till the DAY is correct, then push the crown in gently to advance the DATE once, and do that until it is correct. There's no need to get blisters on your fingers turning those ridiculously small crowns.

If you already know this, then by all means, it's a...

"Ha ha ha ha disregard that, I suck (well, you know the rest)"

From me

Thread Information