How long does it take an automatic to power up?

Thread: How long does it take an automatic to power up?

How long does it take an automatic to power up?

A simple question that I don't know the answer to.

When an automatic watch is being worn normally, how long would it take for the 'power reserve' to become full, assuming it was next to empty when placed on the wrist.

A few seconds? A few minutes?

Well from what I've seen, the autos with manual wind can be brought to full power in about 60 full turns of the crown. Not really full answer but maybe a more standard measurement? As far as "normal" wear, I think it depends on how active you are when wearing the watch.

Banned

Re: How long does it take an automatic to power up?

Drink 3 pots of coffee and take a few diet pills - it will only take a few minutes.

There is no set answer because each movement has different ratios and different length mainsprings, so the time to fully wind the spring will vary. It won't be measured in minutes or seconds though - more like hours.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The watch is actually supposed to maintain power, I wouldn't advise putting a watch on that was "next to empty". The watch and your movements will have alot to do with how long it will take to power up while wearing. I have an automatic with 3 barrels and a ten day power reserve, normal activity would take more than a day to go from zero to full...however if you are running a marathon that would have a definite effect on the rate of gain.

lvt

Quote Originally Posted by Midpoint View Post
    A simple question that I don't know the answer to.

When an automatic watch is being worn normally, how long would it take for the 'power reserve' to become full, assuming it was next to empty when placed on the wrist.

It depends greatly on your wearing habit and the type of automatic winding (uni-directional, bi-directional) used in your watch's movement. If you don't wear an automatic watch 24/7 it's unlikely to have a full power reserve at all times.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Quote Originally Posted by Midpoint View Post

Longer. More than likely a few hours.

I've never had an automatic watch stop on me while I was wearing it. I usually shake them for a few seconds, set the time and wear them. If I do that in the morning it'll be near full power reserve in the evening. I can also start a watch like that after dinner, wear it for a few hours around the home and it'll still be running in the morning. Probably not near the full power reserve, but since it's still running I'm happy...

I wind my 40 times, or its a non winding automatic, then i just wear it for a lil while, IE the Seiko 007 Diver i normally give that a quick shake and them i am good to good with all day wearing and i can set it down at night times it never stops unless i absolutely stop wearing the watch for a prolonged period of time.

Thread Information