How long with an watch until you can make a good purchase decision?
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: How long with an watch until you can make a good purchase decision?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Been thinking about this question a lot recently, as my opinions on a watch often changes after a few days, a week, and then a few months after wearing a watch.

What's worse is that an initial impression after just a few minutes of trying something on at the AD is not enough to make an informed decision. I really wish there was some way of trying a watch for a while before having to purchase it. Even if i was able to wear it for an afternoon or a day, that would be extremely helpful.

For example, a car dealer once let me take a car home for the night, telling me "taking it for the night, drive it around, take your time! I want you to buy it, but I also want you to be happy with the choice." I ended up buying the car. Not sure if AD's ever do that?

I'm guessing a lot of people (like myself) sometimes buys something just to try it out, but then you take a hit in trying to flip it if it doesn't work out. As I've been trying to go after "higher-end" pieces, instead of buying multiple "mid-tier" watches, this is becoming more of an issue.

On the other hand, maybe this is all part of the fun - constantly looking, researching, and thinking about your next purchase.
    Would love to hear what others think!
    eddieo396 likes this.

Re: How long with an watch until you can make a good purchase decision?

Just buy it after much thought and let cognitive dissonance do the rest.
    thisisjlai, woiter and FrankDerek like this.
    “If we could be satisfied with anything, we should have been satisfied long ago.”
    ― Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by thisisjlai View Post
    Would love to hear what others think!
    Yes, there's a difference between the initial attraction and a long lasting relationship..

However, looking at watches (of course, what did you think?), I don't need much time to say if I like a watch in the metal. After handling it for a minute, I usually know if I like it or not. If it's interesting or versatile enough to gain an lasting spot in my rotation, is somthing only time can tell. A day, week or month makes no difference there.
    thisisjlai and BarracksSi like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

LOL. Happens to me sometimes. I usually know if I like it or not when I first see a watch at an AD but there are times when I have regretted buying it. I suffer from the new broom sweeps well syndrome as sometimes the euphoria of a new purchase and my fixation on what attracted me to the watch, e.g. chrono function, masks the underlying issues that will make me dislike the watch. My wife would usually say “tell me in a few months if you still like it”.

Unlike cars where they have demo models which sell for less, most ADs only have limited stock of each design. That’s when WUS comes in as a lot of us post questions that others who have walked the path will provide the answers. What’s your wrist size? How does this watch wear? Is it easy to service? Etc...

You are right, part of the fun is the research but the more I research, the more likely I am to buy it
    thisisjlai likes this.

Took me 5 seconds to make the move

从我的 iPad 发送,使用 Tapatalk
    thisisjlai and Synequano like this.

It really depends on how and why you’re buying. If you’re an experienced watch buyer on the Hunt, buying quickly when you see a true bargain from a reputable seller is totally normal. If you walk into an AD on impulse and are smitten with a beautiful watch that is expensive enough that you’re considering not telling your spouse about the purchase, go away, do your research and make sure the watch is really what you want.

There is always another great watch so don’t rush unless you are certain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Owner of a bunch of cool watches.

Quote Originally Posted by wristtraveller View Post

Took me 5 seconds to make the move

从我的 iPad 发送,使用 Tapatalk
    I had something like that when I was a kid
    Name:  maze.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  23.8 KB
    http://veteranswatchmakerinitiative.org/
    Training Combat Disabled Vets to become Watchmakers
    https://www.gofundme.com/VWIBulova

Quote Originally Posted by ffritz View Post
    Yes, there's a difference between the initial attraction and a long lasting relationship..

However, looking at watches (of course, what did you think?), I don't need much time to say if I like a watch in the metal. After handling it for a minute, I usually know if I like it or not. If it's interesting or versatile enough to gain an lasting spot in my rotation, is somthing only time can tell. A day, week or month makes no difference there.
    Yeah, good point. I can usually tell right away if a watch "sings" to me as soon as I try it on. But how long the singing continues is often unpredictable.

Watches that gain a lasting spot in my rotation is usually based on the circumstances around the purchase (such as the Montblanc Hertiage dress piece that my wife bought me as a wedding watch) more than anything else.
    ffritz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabee1 View Post
    Very cool watch! I'll have to look up that IWC again. I remember reading about it a while back in another post, but forgot about it.

I loved those toys growing up!

Quote Originally Posted by Seabee1 View Post
    I’ve got something very similar while I was growing up as well, it seemed like it kept following me though the journey of life FYI I still need to hug something in order to fall asleep at the age of 32 damn it
    Seabee1, thisisjlai and Synequano like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information