How many brands worldwide actually make their whole mechanical piece from start to finish?
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: How many brands worldwide actually make their whole mechanical piece from start to finish?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

How many brands worldwide actually make their whole mechanical piece from start to finish?

As the question suggests, I've been wondering about the number of watchmakers worldwide that actually make EVERYTHING that go into their watches, the rubies, the case, the movement, the hands, the bracelet (I could go on)- EVERYTHING - in their own factory? I've seen threads where people have listed watchmakers that make their own movements, but then outsourced the assembly of their watches in another country. Or those that have the bracelet, case or parts of the movement made in China. I'm talking about the watchmakers that make everything in the one factory complex. I'm curious, because, with current manufacturing trends, there simply can't be too many left. And I guess for this privilege, you would pay a premium. So, can anyone help me, are there any left?
    Last edited by Bucks; May 8th, 2018 at 13:41.

Re: How many brands worldwide actually make their whole mechanical piece from start to finish?

Roger Smith (maybe)

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Re: How many brands worldwide actually make their whole mechanical piece from start to finish?

Quote Originally Posted by Bucks View Post
    As the question suggests, I've been curious about the number of watchmakers worldwide that actually make EVERYTHING that goes into their watches, the rubies, the case, the movement, the hands, the bracelet (I could go on)- EVERYTHING - in their own factory? I've seen threads where people have listed watchmakers that make their own movements, but then outsourced the assembly of their watches in another country. I'm talking about the watchmakers that make everything in the one factory complex. I'm curious, because, with current manufacturing trends, there simply can't be too many left. And I guess for this privilege, you would pay a premium. So, can anyone help me, are there any left?
    None.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

725341819......seriously dude there isn’t a way to figure that out althoug the answer is probably 0

Surely there's some nerd somewhere that has this useless piece of information??? Oh well, just have to die not knowing...

If you mean literally everything, then none, and it will never change.

No watch company will start manufacturing all the pieces that goes into a watch - screws, gaskets, crystal, AR material, lume material, paint / ink, dial material and I go on and on.

You first need to clearly state where you draw the line. Is sourcing glue, AR material, ink, lume still OK? How about the crystal itself? The screws? I guess you see the problem with such a question.
    ffritz and Sevenmack like this.

Ok, I can see the problem with the question. I'll rephrase. I'm not talking about glue or paint or the plastic it's wrapped in or the box that it comes in,etc. I'm talking about the whole movement, dial, case, bracelet, hands, rubies, crown, etc- all of the 'nuts and bolts' so to speak of the watch. Are there any watchmakers that make all of these components in the one location and assemble it themselves?

Seiko.
    Tick-tock in RoK GMT+9, no DST
    --
    Not Seiko: Parmigiania Tonda 1950, Zenith El Primero Chronomaster, Piaget Upstream, Muhle Glashutte Seebataillon GMT, Eterna Madison Spherodrive, Vulcain Cricket 1951 Classic, Bell & Ross Space 3 GMT, Bulova Accutron Astronaut (c. 1966), Omega Speedmaster triple date, Sinn 556 Anniversary LE, IWC Cal. 89 (c. 1957), Glycine Airman SST-12, Pulsar Date II (c. 1971), Scurfa Diver One, G-Shock Rangeman 9400, Vostok Classica
    Seiko: Grand Seiko SBGT035, Credor Node GCAT996, Grand Seiko 5641-7000 (1972), "Ashtray Tuna" 7C46-6009 (1987), 6139-7069 "Blue Eye" chrono (1974), 5740-8000 Lord Marvel 36'000 (1974), Bell-Matic 4006-7012 (1971), King Quartz 9223-5000 (1981), Seikomatic J13044 (1963), 6119-6400 UFO (1974), King Quartz 5855-5000 (1977), Silverwave 8221-5020 (1980), Majesta 9063-5020 (1984), SKX399K "Philippines"

Quote Originally Posted by kramerica View Post
    If you mean literally everything, then none, and it will never change.

No watch company will start manufacturing all the pieces that goes into a watch - screws, gaskets, crystal, AR material, lume material, paint / ink, dial material and I go on and on.

You first need to clearly state where you draw the line. Is sourcing glue, AR material, ink, lume still OK? How about the crystal itself? The screws? I guess you see the problem with such a question.
    ^^ This.

My first answer to this thread might have been very short, but I think it's the only correct one if you include e.g. the rubies, which were specifically mentioned in the OP. I'm not aware of any manufacturer that doesn't source these parts from a specialized supplier. At some point it just doesn't make any sense doing it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucks View Post
    watchmakers that make everything in the one factory complex.
    None
    yankeexpress likes this.

Thoughts for the day:
    facts, experience, opinion - figure which yours is before you start typing
    DM's Ghetto Watch Polishing Guide

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information