How many is too many?
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: How many is too many?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How many is too many?

I currently have 15 watches in my collection. Others here will have much more and many will have less. I don't like to wear a watch that has gone more than ten years since it last had a service, and sometimes a watch of mine can go a year or more without being used at all. Then when I pick up a watch after some dormant period, I may find that it has drifted significantly in time keeping and needs work. Consequently, I always seem to have a watch either in service, about to go for a service, or just back and needing 'tested'. Then there are the bracelets and straps. It seems that all the bracelets need to be reduced in length at the same time (or let out).

On top of all this are the security and possible insurance concerns. It gets to a point where I wonder if my collection might be less of a hassle, and give more pleasure if it was a bit smaller. In my case I am thinking that '5' is the right number. My fifteen would be down sized to:

1. Grand Seiko HAQ. (Daily beater, travel etc.)
    2. Grand Seiko spring drive chronograph. (Amazing watch with 416 parts, 50 jewels, and looks terrific. Great functionality.)
    3. Grand Seiko spring drive hand wound dress watch. (Love the technology. Looks awesome.)
    4. Patek Phillipe Aquanaut. (A PP version of a sports watch. Great to wear, but not as tough as GS.)
    5. Patek Phillipe Calatrava. (Mine is in rose gold. A quintessential dress watch.)

That would cover my bases sufficiently I think, and maintain my interest without becoming bothersome to maintain. This list leaves out some beautiful watches that I still very much like including one more PP, a Rolex, a couple of Omega's, and other Grand Seiko's. I would put all these somewhere out of the way for a couple of years and see if I miss them before selling anything.

So what do you think of my strategy? What is your approach and what of yours would be on your list? Or do you reject the entire idea? I would love to hear.

Re: How many is too many?

In the bicycle world it's called N+1 . In the watch world N would = the watches you have and the + 1 would be the one that separates you from your partner . (It's just a joke) .
    Last edited by markwesti; 1 Week Ago at 00:09.
    Dan T., FBPB, MediumRB and 1 others like this.

I think the best approach is to do a box approach

meaning you buy one box, and then fill it, and then the only way you can add a watch to the box if you sell one of your other ones
    Sonnydaze likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by markwesti View Post
    In the bicycle world it's called N+1 . N would = the watches you have and the + 1 would be the one that separates you from your partner . (It's just a joke) .
    Yes. Spoken another way:

Let
    W = The proper number of watches
    D = Number of watches that causes divorce

Therefore, W = D - 1
    MaDTempo, horrij1, civiclx and 1 others like this.
    "I think I may make bold to say, that there is neither any other Mechanical or Mathematical thing in the World that is more beautiful or curious in texture than this my watch or Timekeeper for the Longitude..." ~John Harrison F.R.S., 1759

My WIS Confessions

In the bicycle world it's called N+1 . N would = the watches you have and the + 1 would be the one that separates you from your partner . (It's just a joke) .
    Yes, N+1

Quote Originally Posted by lisine View Post
    I think the best approach is to do a box approach

meaning you buy one box, and then fill it, and then the only way you can add a watch to the box if you sell one of your other ones
    What's wrong with just getting another box....
    lo_scrivano likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AAWATCHES View Post
    What's wrong with just getting another box....
    I was thinking of getting a bigger box, when I came to the stunning insight that it wouldn't fix my basic problem!

In the bicycle world it's called N+1 . In the watch world N would = the watches you have and the + 1 would be the one that separates you from your partner . (It's just a joke) .
    Well, N+1 would prevent me from buying another watch, so it should be N+2, which allows me to increase my watch collection without bound, so long as I only add one at any given time.
    drhr likes this.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Halios Seaforth Bronze; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Ming 17.06; Nomos Tangente 35; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P; Silver Archetype One; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

"How many is too many?"
    Since you did ask this question, followed, essentially, by several reasons why your current number of 15 is a hassle ('needs to be serviced, in service, tested after service, storage, etc.'), clearly you have already answered your own question, which is that for you, 15 is indeed too many, and you even followed this with what might be a reasonable number--"5", an answer that does seem reasonable. As to what 5 you (or I) might keep--the answer there is purely subjective (as is this entire discussion)--but yes, downsizing your collection does makes sense, based on the arguments you have placed before us.

Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    "How many is too many?"
    Since you did ask this question, followed, essentially, by several reasons why your current number of 15 is a hassle ('needs to be serviced, in service, tested after service, storage, etc.'), clearly you have already answered your own question, which is that for you, 15 is indeed too many, and you even followed this with what might be a reasonable number--"5", an answer that does seem reasonable. As to what 5 you (or I) might keep--the answer there is purely subjective (as is this entire discussion)--but yes, downsizing your collection does makes sense, based on the arguments you have placed before us.
    You have it! I posted a question, answered my question, and now find myself in total agreement with my answer. Seriously though, I simply was wondering if others have found the same issues, and what they did.
    MediumRB likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast