How many watches is too many?
Like Tree241Likes

Thread: How many watches is too many?

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

How many watches is too many?

I've got 8 and struggle to decide which one to wear every day. They're nothing special: 2 Casios, a Bulova, a Rado, a Tissot Touch, a Tag Carrera, a Tag Monaco and a Bulova.

I almost hate my Tags because each time I pick them up I have to adjust the time and date etc. The Carrera is with Tag at the moment because I think I may have damaged the rotor by overwinding, plus it was around 5 minutes out an hour so I don't mind waiting the 2 months or so 'til I get it back.

I know that many on here have many more watches than 8 but do you know when to stop especially if you don't wear some that often. I tell myself that it is a hobby and try not to berate myself for spending that much money. The Tags were expensive to me and the Tissot touch was £760 which is still quite a chunk of money. Many of my watches I buy on impulse; others I've done my research on. I've probably overpaid for some of them as they have always been from a B&M shop rather than the internet.

How many is too much?

Re: How many watches is too many?

I'm fine with 5-6.

I also have them clearly broken out into categories. 2-3 dressier watches for the office and 2-3 sportier watches for the weekends and casual events.

At any given time, I'm only choosing between 2 or 3 watches (not 6 or 8) and that decision is largely dictated by the clothes I'm wearing (eg: black shoes and belt gets a watch on a black strap or bracelet) which simplifies the choice further.

Seems to work for me.

All the watches!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SaoDavi View Post
    I'm fine with 5-6.

I also have them clearly broken out into categories. 2-3 dressier watches for the office and 2-3 sportier watches for the weekends and casual events.

At any given time, I'm only choosing between 2 or 3 watches (not 6 or 8) and that decision is largely dictated by the clothes I'm wearing (eg: black shoes and belt gets a watch on a black strap or bracelet) which simplifies the choice further.

Seems to work for me.
    That seems sensible to me. I can't wear my Tag Monaco or Tissot with a suit so opt for my Rado or one of my Casios. For Casio, they're actually fairly small watches which fit under a shirt sleeve.
    Rosarito likes this.

When a significant other starts to complain or watch buying causes financial difficulties or you find youself discovering watches in the collection them it's time to think things over. Otherwise relax and don't focus on a hard number.

Of course there is no single answer to your question--some here have huge collections, and are quite happy with them, many have collections in the dozens, and happy as well, while some get by with a handfull, and one or two members that I know of have only a single watch--what works for one person won't necessarily work some another. Disposable income, other interests, family concerns and many more things come into play. All that said, when one raises the question (regarding just about anything) then that is usually a pretty good indicator that you have concerns and that you are on the edge of what you know to be best--in other words, when you are concerned enough to ask the question (is this too many, is this too big, does this look hideous, etc.)--most of the time, you already know the answer--I am guessing you probably don't need anymore, based on all that, and could probably stand to get rid of the ones that you clearly have not bonded with.

As stated above the answer is subjective. Right now eight is a good number for me. I switch up often.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
    Dreamnine likes this.

I think you're right, timefleas. For example I've never had the Bulova on my wrist. I only bought it because it's a precisionist, 262khz but it's never been on my wrist and I think the face is rather plain and not to my taste. Last Saturday I bought a Casio because I liked the inverted digits and it's been on my wrist since then. I probably need only 1 watch, lol. I think I realised this recently with wearing the Casio for nearly a whole week that I could whittle down my collection to 4. The keepers would be this Casio, the Monaco, the Tissot and the Rado. Even though the Rado is 14 years old it is spotless because of it's scratch proof case and bracelet. It's probably my favourite watch. There is something about inverted digits on a quartz that I just love since I first saw them some 25 years ago. If I could just keep these 4 then I'd be happier. Although I dislike having to adjust the Tag, it's one watch I would miss.

Name:  IMG-2687.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  42.6 KB

Name:  IMG-1706-1.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  36.5 KB

Name:  IMG-2204.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  60.9 KB

Name:  IMG-2110.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  146.9 KB

That's my mind made up then. Now how to sell the other 4? I dislike ebay and don't trust Gumtree as one time a large man who had been drinking turned up at my house and aggresively lowballed me on an Apple Watch I was selling.
    Last edited by Dreamnine; March 22nd, 2019 at 14:59.

Non WIS = One is enough, stoopid!! I can only wear one at a time!!

WIS = when you get some that you haven’t worn for weeks, then you have too many.

So logically 5-7 should be enough!!

But when has logic ever entered this obsession??
    " I am easily impressed by the best" - Winston Churchill.

"One cannot but admire the cold-bravery and enterprise of these Italians"
    Admiral Cunningham, referring to the frogmen of the M.A.S in WW2.

I have 6 modern automatics, 2 vintage autos, 1 quartz, and 1 Seiko 5. They're divided along 3 categories: dress, sport, and multi-purpose. Having 10 is too many for me, but I have no collection overlap, so everything gets worn at varying points.
    Dreamnine and bosphorus like this.

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information