How many of you regularly check the waterproofing of your watches?
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: How many of you regularly check the waterproofing of your watches?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How many of you regularly check the waterproofing of your watches?

Almost every watch manufacturer recommends that you check the waterproofing of your (dive) watch at least once a year due to the degradation of the rubber seals.
    I presume this would be more of a problem in the tropics than in colder climes.
    My concern is that every once in a while I like to give my watches a gentle cleanup with an old toothbrush under a running tap. Basic precautions like screwing down the crown are a given.
    So, does anybody on the forum actually get their watches checked for waterproof ness? Especially the diving crowd? Would a dip in the pool be a cause for concern if I wear my 4yr old Seiko monster?
    Thanks for ur time.

Re: How many of you regularly check the waterproofing of your watches?

Whether anyone else pressure tests their watches isn't important. If the dial and/or movement were damaged because of leaking seals would that be a big concern for you? If it is then a pressure test every 4 years or so would seem to be a good idea.
    timefleas likes this.

Never, but I try not to wear my watches in water, esp. salt water, even my divers.
    "Genius is nothing but a greater aptitude for patience." -Ben Franklin
    Damasko | Hamilton | Longines | Mido | Orient | Oris | Rolex | Timex

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Every day. Shower with them on(not all at once, that would be weird). That is sufficient. I never go into the ocean. Fish $#@% in it.

Divers, once a year because I rely on them.

Those I do not dive with....never, until a service is needed due to failure .....also sometimes never!
    Dinky1 likes this.
    If I fail to reply to your inane post just assume you are on the ignore list.

I bought a knackered clock.... https://carlsclock.blogspot.com/ Updated 29/4/19

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    Whether anyone else pressure tests their watches isn't important. If the dial and/or movement were damaged because of leaking seals would that be a big concern for you? If it is then a pressure test every 4 years or so would seem to be a good idea.
    The reason I’m asking is not because I’ve had any water damage but as a prophylactic.
    Inadvertent damage is what concerns me. For this reason I wanted to pick the brains of the forum members.

I don't ever get water resistance checked, because it's a hassle. My way of avoiding problem is to assume all my watches have no water resistance, and try to keep all of them dry at all times. So no rinsing/washing the watches under the water for me, just wiping with slightly damp microfiber cloth at most, which keeps them pretty clean.

I swim, shower, pool, all with my watches,,, have never had a failure to date,, watch ages from 1 to 10 years old..

Quote Originally Posted by Dinky1 View Post
    The reason I’m asking is not because I’ve had any water damage but as a prophylactic.
    Inadvertent damage is what concerns me. For this reason I wanted to pick the brains of the forum members.
    There is no unintentional or intentional water damage. It's just damage. The seals may be at the point of cracking and yet will hold splashes of moisture back until they suddenly fail. Supple seals will hold. So you can spend a few bucks for a test and be reasonably assured. Or you can ask others on the forum whether they think the seals in a watch they have never seen are in good condition.

I am not sure of the material that Seiko uses in their gaskets and or o-rings, however most modern elastomers used for o-rings and molded seals have an unlimited or 15 year shelf life (Aerospace Recommended Practice 5316). There are 5 materials listed including natural rubber that have a 5 year shelf life. I don't know how this translates to the lifespan of a gasket or o-ring in the protected confines of a watch. I will say that the threat of a seal being on the verge of failure after 4 years is pretty small. The most common entry for water is a pinched case back o-ring or through the crown not being secure. Personally I wold expose the watch to water without a second thought. If you are worried get the watch checked out for your own piece of mind. Hope that helps.
    rfortson, Dinky1 and obomomomo like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information