How many of you use an inherited time piece as a daily wearer?
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: How many of you use an inherited time piece as a daily wearer?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How many of you use an inherited time piece as a daily wearer?

Attachment 976824I'm just curious, how many of you guys wear an inherited time piece as your daily watch? I used to collect vintage watches but eventually sold off my collection given that I found I only wear the inherited pieces I own which mean far more to me than any other watches. I have three separate pieces, one given to me by my grandfather on my mother's side and two passed down to me from my grandfather on my father's side. The grandfather on my mother's side gave me his, a manual wind pie-pan dial Omega Seamaster from the late 50s, that he aquired in Curacao, South America. The other two, a 1978 1680 Rolex Submariner and a 1968 Heuer Autavia 2446C, I inherited from my father after he passed away. They were his father's before him as well. I rotate between these three watches and find I am completely happy as far as my small collection goes. I can not imagine ever being more fulfilled, given that I know these watches are heirlooms and belong in my family. What about you guys? Any cool inherited pieces that you wear often or daily??

Re: How many of you use an inherited time piece as a daily wearer?

I believe that once I finish grad school in May, my mom is gifting me my grandfathers Rolex Oysterdate Precision. It will be the smallest watch I would own, but I can see it getting significant wrist-time.
    Last edited by various121; February 19th, 2013 at 19:18.
    "I only want to know people who are dynamic, intelligent and totally insane"

Nope. My grandfathers' watches are now between 112 and 120 years old and they deserve a comfy retirement at home.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I do… This is my father's Chronostop, which we, his children, gave him around 1970 (I was 15). He passed away in 1977.

It sits on my wrist as I am typing this.
    slccj, Eraserhead, Jimmy B and 3 others like this.
    François – Quebec City, QC

I inherited my dad's Hamilton pocketwatch with a 992 movement in a swingout case. I treasure it for the memories and the story behind his buying it during WWII. He was part of the Air Transport Command in the US Army Air Force and went through wristwatches quickly because of the humidity. The Hamilton served him well, but was put away after WWII when he reverted to watches on straps and then twist-o-flex bands. I don't have the interest or clothes to wear a pocket watch so it is taken out every once in a while to be admired but that's it.

While I don't wear it daily, I use my grandfather's 10K "rolled gold" Hamilton automatic quite frequently (especially for family events, weddings etc.). I'm the youngest in the family and never knew my grandfather who died before I was born, but it's pretty amazing to gaze down on the same watch he must have looked at (and possible admired) quite often. It's probably from 1959-60. Hopefully when I'm gone my son will wear one (or more) of my watches. And of course his great-grandfather's.
    rjustice21 and Eraserhead like this.

I would love to be in this position. Unfortunately, the only watch I saw my father wearing was a Victorinox swiss army, some type of field watch with a brown leather strap and white dial. Not sure exactly how old I was maybe 10 or 12. I remember I was very intrigued by it, probably because it was my father and I was very impressed by him. Strangely enough it is the last time I saw him wearing any type of watch. I really have no clue what happened to the watch and where it is.
    I stroke it to the east, And I stroke it to the west, And I stroke it to the woman that I love the best
    I be strokin

Yes. My grandfather had some pieces that I'm very happy to have now. Some years after is death in 2000 I was looking through some of his stuff some really interesting watches.
    One of them was a Longines Flagship (had this serviced 4 years ago) and I used in almost everyday for 2 years (not sure how old the watch is). And one year ago I got a new battery in his gold plated Omega 1370. The watchmaker told me that this piece needed a service. Haven't done this yes as the watch needs to go to Omega in Switzerland and probably cost a lot. I'm gonna do it, I love the elegance of this watch. But now I'm too scared to use them since my work require me deal with people with violence behavior.

One of his watches was an old "REGI" don't know anything about this watch other than its Swiss made and has the number 13205 written on the back. Has anyone heard about this watch?

I will post photos of the pieces I have of him tomorrow.

Not as a daily wearer. It will require gentle handling.

The last time I wore the Ulysse Nardin chronometre (prob. early 60s) that was my father's dress watch, it fell apart when I took it off at the end of the evening. As far as I can discern, the crystal popped out and the movement fell onto the carpet in my bedroom. At the moment it is at the watchmaker's shop, not in working condition, and they tell me they will have it back to me in three weeks.
    Over a half century of "just the right amount of odd."

I also had my grandfather's Hamilton 992B. It went from him to two of my uncles to me. I gave it to my son-in-law when he married my daughter and hopefully my grandson will get it someday. Grandson is in line for the other two heirlooms from 1893 and 1901 so the three pocket watches will eventually be reunited I guess.

Francois Boucher and dbakiva like this.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information