How much does brand name matter to you? - Page 5
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: How much does brand name matter to you?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Re: How much does brand name matter to you?

Anyone else see the short bit in the latest Watch Time with the figures showing that Chinese consumption of Swiss watches dwarfs their counterfeit production?

Hamilton 992B PW "Montgomery" dial
    Omega Constellation 14900SC (551) "pie pan" [inherited 1984]
    Omega Planet Ocean 2209.50 (2500C) "orange/orange"
    Omega Seamaster 200M 396.1041 (1441, TC Quartz) "pre-Bond"
    Omega Speedmaster Chronograph 3513.50 (1152) "Speedmaster Date"
    Sewills Atlantic Chronograph (ETA quartz)
    Tissot Sideral S [original owner 1971] (784-2)

Part of what I'm buying is the story. The story may be associated with the watch, the company, or both. That's why we use the word "storied" in reference to the companies or watch models with the richest history. "Brand" is a surrogate for story--I prefer to dig past that brand veneer.

I love researching and telling the story. Most of the old brands provide that opportunity, and are all the more pleasurable for me if the story is not repeated every other thread, such as with Ebel. But the watch has to represent and live up to the story. A cheap, Asian quartz watch with Ebel or Zenith on it would break the link (and such are the values of those companies that they assuredly be fakes). Example: a modern Movado Datron with a 2894, fine watch though it is, does not live up to the story of the vintage model that used an El Primero.

Sometimes the story is sentimental and unrelated to the brand or even the watch--a cheap watch given by a loved one will still be a prized part of the collection. But the story is paramount.

I don't buy watches to sell. I measure value mostly in terms of my own enjoyment.

Rick "who doesn't mind cheap Chinese watches if they come with a good story--and are appropriately priced" Denney
    Last edited by Rdenney; June 29th, 2013 at 21:09.
    bacari likes this.
    Zenith: Captain Chronograph 03.2110.400*; Cartier: Santos 100 XL Concord: Mariner, C1 Big-Date, C1 v.2 Chronograph; Ebel: Chronosport 1134901, Tekton 9137L83*, Type E 9137C41* (*=COSC)
    Ebel: 1911 BTR 9137L73* and 9139L71*, 1911 1120L41*, 1911 Senior 9080241, Brasilias 9120M41 (2), Aquatica 500 9120K61, Classic Hexagon GMT 9301F61, Classic 100 LE 9120R41; Baume & Mercier: Capeland World-Timer
    Heuer: Carrera 1964 Re-Edition CS3110; Maurice Lacroix: Masterpiece MP6439; "Seagull": 1963 Reissue cal. ST19; Seiko: Black Monster SRP307; Poljot: Sturmanskie cal. 3133; Tissot: T-Touch Lew and Huey: Acciona
    Vintage: JLC: ref. 2953, ca. 1946; Longines: Flagship cal 285; Zodiac: SST cal. 86, Aerospace GMT cal. 72; Favre-Leuba: cal. 253; Tianjin: Dong Feng cal. ST5; Elgin: Gr. 152 (1898), Gr. 384 (1919); Ebel: ca. 1962 ref. 9214955
    WUS: ST5 Project Watches (Black and Blue), F72.2014.DG3804 (Gray and Cream); Swatch: Sistem 51 Blue; TNT: Rattrapante cal. Rochat 7750+RAT-1

The brand name is everything! Proud to own Rolex and Grand Seiko!
    Omega Speedmaster Professional.
    Rolex Submariner Dateless 114060.
    Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Control Date Black Dial.

Panerai Luminor 112.
    Grand Seiko SBGX061.
    Seiko Beater.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Do any of the truly great companies not use celebrity endorsements? If I could afford it, if there is such, that's the one I would choose.

Brand is very important. Brand integrity is extremely important. Brand recognition is fairly unimportant and somewhat superficial beyond us WIS being able to initiate a conversation on sight.

Brand is about history and reputation.

Brand integrity is about continuity of history and the quality and truth of the story as Rick Denney pointed out; not some fabricated marketing ploy.

For the general public, "brand" is the great unequalizer... "I'd take a Rolex over that Grand Seiko whatchamagiggy anytime."

For WIS, "brand" is ... all things being equal, we often turn to brand as a final determiner. Meaning if we are looking at two watches... say a Mont Blanc and a Patek... we like everything equally (looks, movement, price is same)... we will often turn to brand
    dbakiva likes this.
    Rolex Submariner
    Zenith Chronomaster XT Open El Primero

Omega Seamaster James Bond 007 Limited Edition
    Kobold Comanche
    Helson Sharkmaster
    Sinn U1
    Alpina Extreme Diver

Maurice Lacroix Miros
    Ball B&O First Mile

Edox Classe Royale Open Heart Automatic
    Shinola Brakeman 46

Luminox 3000 Navy Seal Diver
    Hamilton Khaki Navy Sub
    Seiko Black Monster
    Citizen Ecozilla
    Deep Blue Sunray Diver 1k
    and various other makes and models

I'm not sure that brand means that much to me. Surely it accounts for something but, on the whole, not very much. My most expensive watch is a Seiko (Ananta Spring Drive GMT). Most people who see that watch are probably going to think it's just like any other Seiko you see at a department store. I also have a Benarus whose brand name doesn't mean anything to anyone that isn't a WIS.

Conversely, I'd never buy a watch just because of the name on the dial.

Banned

Not at all. I look at each piece for what it is and enjoy it as such. I do look to the brand name to let me know if this company makes things I've decided I like already. And, if I haven't heard of it, then I am curious.
    But, what's in a name; call a Rolex or Zenith or Sinn a Kizamiko and it will still be the same device...no?

Quote Originally Posted by Splinter Faction View Post
    Do any of the truly great companies not use celebrity endorsements? If I could afford it, if there is such, that's the one I would choose.
    Christopher Ward

For me its all about craftsmanship, which tends to go hand in hand with the brand being well known and respected (IMO).

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information