How much does brand name matter to you? - Page 8
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: How much does brand name matter to you?

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Re: How much does brand name matter to you?

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Not much. But the fun ends with DeutscheMaster1936.
    I don't know about that, Mike. It was entertaining to watch that d-bag record his crap on this forum for posterity.

Any way he can be kept from editing his posts, so that he can't erase any of it? I think that thread should be bumped regularly so that anyone googling D--M-- (I can't bring myself to utter that blasphemy) will get to see them for themselves the "integrity" of this company and their officers.

Quote Originally Posted by frogger17 View Post
    I don't know about that, Mike. It was entertaining to watch that d-bag record his crap on this forum for posterity.

Any way he can be kept from editing his posts, so that he can't erase any of it? I think that thread should be bumped regularly so that anyone googling D--M-- (I can't bring myself to utter that blasphemy) will get to see them for themselves the "integrity" of this company and their officers.
    Do be civil now. Posts can't be deleted, and edits are only possible for 14 days after a post.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Do be civil now. Posts can't be deleted, and edits are only possible for 14 days after a post.
    Sorry, geoffbot. Will tone it down.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I tend to avoid "brand names" I buy watches because I like them and even though as an example I love how the old sea dweller looks, I'd never buy one because everybody knows Rolex. I don't like attention on my watches. Specially from the average Joe.

Couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by bacari View Post
    Brand integrity is extremely important. Brand recognition is fairly unimportant and somewhat superficial
    Cheers, M

"Both feet on the floor, two hands on the wheel, may the wind take your troubles away."

- Son Volt -

Quote Originally Posted by bacari View Post
    Brand is very important. Brand integrity is extremely important. Brand recognition is fairly unimportant and somewhat superficial ....
    This is pretty much my feeling too. I think of "brand" more as a guarantee of quality and am less concerned with "brand name" as it relates to perceived prestige. Would I buy Submariner at Costco if it were a Rolex with the Kirkland name at half the price? I well might.
    Over a half century of "just the right amount of odd."

All about name brands!

Check out these new Pqlq jeans that go well with my Cnovesre kicks!

Last edited by vpcmotorsport; July 1st, 2013 at 23:11.
    *****CHECK FEEDBACK HERE***** search :vpcmotorsport

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes.

Banned
    Dungji, Taiwan / Sacramento / San Diego / Santa Barbara / San Francisco / NYC

Sometimes I do exactly that.. other times, I realize I'm staring at an Invicta and then I poop myself and look elsewhere for a watch of that design with a better brand.

Gotta be careful with interior quality.. just like with people. What may look good on the outside may not always be great on the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by drhr View Post
    Always acquire based on looks, regardless of brand. Have never sacrificed part of the aesthetic just because the brand is renowned. So, too, have sold a bunch of watches as/when the thrill of the "look" has worn off, doesn't matter the brand . . .
    drhr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by davidtsee View Post
    Sometimes I do exactly that.. other times, I realize I'm staring at an Invicta and then I poop myself and look elsewhere for a watch of that design with a better brand.

Gotta be careful with interior quality.. just like with people. What may look good on the outside may not always be great on the inside.
    I like that people part, well said and so true. I will say, though, if I saw an Invicta that I liked, I would purchase it. The (assumably) inexpensiveness would just be the proverbial icing. So far, no Invicta (or Patek for that matter) excites me to that extent . . . .
    A.Lange & Sohne *anOrdain * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Fears Watch Company * Invicta * International Watch Company * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Méraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tiffany & Company

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

In business school, they teach that one of the main purposes of a branding is to provide a shortcut for consumers to use to make a buying decision. This isn't meant to say that branding is about making people lazy or fooling them. It just means that certain attributes like quality, customer service, prestige, etc. can be conveyed rather quickly through the brand so that people will have confidence in it, or dare I say, a yearn for it. Brand recognition can drive sales, but it can also cost them, depending on how well the company manages its reputation. If a company is known for doing all the right things and there is an established pattern of such, then that will drive interest, trust and loyalty. If a company makes a shoddy product and/or doesn't back it up, then the word gets out and people avoid it.

In the watch world, much of the value is ambiguous because it has many emotional aspects and varies so much from one person to the next. For me, companies like PP, VC, ALS and so forth have my respect and complete confidence in the standards of their products and service, even though I'm way outside of their target segment (read: can't afford them). I feel the same way about Wempe, Sinn, Zenith, GO and many others. They deliver a fantastic product and good customer service. In my mind, there are many companies that have done enough to earn my confidence. The fact that others are not there yet does not mean they are no good. It just means I need more information. This is mostly true of newer brands that I'm not familiar with. I will always do my research, but the requirements are lower with brands I've essentially "pre-vetted".

I think many people get hung up on the fluffly history of watchmaking prowess that many brands promote. Breguet under Swatch really has no connection to the original, but Swatch does a wonderful job of invoking Breguet's aesthetics, his passion for technical advancement and his overall philosophy. So while it has an interrupted history, they are staying true to it and I appreciate that. It's legit to me. There are other brands that imply they've been in the same spot for 250 years and have made all of these important horological advancements, and they are blowing smoke. We may know that, but the general public, at first blush, does not.

Brand should be an important part of anyone's decision because it's the company's number one means of identifying what it stands for. However, brand should not be the only criterion, and what others think of the brand should almost never be.
    drhr and malioil like this.

Tissot PRS516 | Wempe Zeitmeister Chronograph

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information