How much does brand name matter to you?
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: How much does brand name matter to you?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

How much does brand name matter to you?

We talk about the aesthetics, materials, functions, accuracy and value of watches. These are all important to us when deciding which watches to buy and wear. But I was interested in where the brand fits in the list of priorities for you? Would you buy a watch for its look, even if you have never heard of the brand? Or would you buy a watch from a renowned brand, even if you weren't 100% sold on the design?

You can take brands to mean history, style or social perception, though I'm more interested in hearing about the last one.
    Last edited by aquadog; June 28th, 2013 at 07:24.

Re: How much does brand name matter to you?

For me, it all depends on what aspect has established that brand recognition. Is it because of quality and value? Or is it because of advertising and high-priced endorsement deals with celebrities. If it's the latter, I tend to stay away.

Tag is a perfect example. I'm sure their quality is not subpar, and several of their design appeal to me. But the fact that a chunk of my purchase price is going to pay someone like Cameron Diaz annoys me no end. More importantly, I could get very similar styles with other, lesser known brand at a cheaper price.

Quote Originally Posted by aquadog View Post
    ... Would you buy a watch for its look, even if you have never heard of the brand? Or would you buy a watch from a renowned brand, even if you weren't 100% sold on the design?
    Neither of those extremes for me.

I think brand is important to me. More than I'd like to admit.
    WnS, Bradjhomes, rics21 and 2 others like this.
    Current Collection: Sinn U1; Omega Speedmaster 3570.50; Seiko SARB033; Casio PRW-3000-1A, G-5600A-7DR; Jaeger Le-Coultre Reverso Grande Taille; Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical ref. H69429931; A. Lange & Sőhne 1815 UP/DOWN; Swatch Sistem51, and some others...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Always acquire based on looks, regardless of brand. Have never sacrificed part of the aesthetic just because the brand is renowned. So, too, have sold a bunch of watches as/when the thrill of the "look" has worn off, doesn't matter the brand . . .
    davidtsee likes this.
    A.Lange & Sohne * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Méraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tiffany & Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by BusyTimmy View Post
    Neither of those extremes for me.

I think brand is important to me. More than I'd like to admit.
    +1. If there's 2 similar looking watches which I am sold on aesthetics, I would go for the better brand name.
    BusyTimmy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by aquadog View Post
    We talk about the aesthetics, materials, functions, accuracy and value of watches. These are all important to us when deciding which watches to buy and wear. But I was interested in where the brand fits in the list of priorities for you? Would you buy a watch for its look, even if you have never heard of the brand? Or would you buy a watch from a renowned brand, even if you weren't 100% sold on the design?

You can take brands to mean history, style or social perception, though I'm more interested in hearing about the last one.
    Watches that look great are typically well known brands.

The brands that not many have heard of 999 of 1000 times are direct copies of better known brands. Homage types.

I will always choose heritage and looks over anything. I would never go with an unknown brand that looks similar to save unless its an Original design by that manufacturer.
    ken_sturrock likes this.

To me, every brand name is like a town name: Noo Yo-uhk, Chicago, Boastun, Nyew Orleens, Bakersfield, Seneca (where? Exactly)... hell, even Vegas....

And every town has at least one good diner. And a pretty gal who takes your order.

The rest of the town?
    Well, if I need to be concerned with the rest, then I would, but usually I don't, as it doesn't REALLY concern me. (Bigger or smaller buildings, etc.)

I won't drink the tap water in certain towns though. :-D

So I have my meal, I take in the sights (like the Liberty Bell - very nice, very nice.... Next!), then I catch the next plane back home.
    Last edited by Chronopolis; June 28th, 2013 at 10:07.
    waterdude likes this.
    "Be thine own palace, or the world's thy jail." _ John Donne

Brand names mean little to me, but particular history for a watch design can. For example, 'Omega' means little to me (although I do like their new ads on tv), but the history behind the Speedy Pro is influential in causing me to want to buy one. 'Rolex' does not mean that much to me, but the history behind the Explorer makes me want one. Tag Heuer does not mean much by itself, but I'd sure take a Monaco if I got the chance. So to me, it is less to do with brand than the history made by brands with particular watches.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Brand Names also represent its heritage, what they do, their customer service and a promise of their product quality.
    It is not "Just a name".

Highly Important.

Brand is the only thing that matters to me

Name:  3789_8b5a.jpeg
Views: 645
Size:  41.4 KB
    MZhammer and ken_sturrock like this.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information