How much error can you handle?

View Poll Results: How much daily error can you handle? (Mechanicals)

Voters
67. This poll is closed
  • HAQ all the way baby, mechanicals suck

3 4.48%
  • Superlative -2/+2

5 7.46%
  • Omega METAS 0/+5

2 2.99%
  • COSC -4/+6

24 35.82%
  • ~20s is cool

23 34.33%
  • I can live with ~40s

5 7.46%
  • Sure what's a minute in a day?

5 7.46%
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: How much error can you handle?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

How much error can you handle?

It's generally acknowledged that most of us on the forum prefer mechanical over quartz for reasons discussed and explored in great detail on other threads. Typically reasons of perceived complexity; all those tiny assembled parts working in harmony, romance and a connection with something 'craftsmanly' and with a noble heritage.

We all recognise the general inferiority of mechanical movements in terms of timekeeping accuracy; we accept that our $,000 watches aren't going to be quite as good at their basic timekeeping function as a $20 quartz and we're happy to live with that. We sacrifice outright accuracy for all the other tangible and intangible benefits that we see in a mechanical.

I have 3 mechanicals; An Omega Plant Ocean with the 8900 movement that is a fairly consistent ~+1.5s/day; a SpeedyPro which amazes me with a similar performance; and a Mühle Glashutte Teutonia II which is ~+7s. The two Omega's are, to my mind, excellently accurate and clearly within any of the recognised accuracy parameters (COSC etc.). The Mühle with its modified Sellita is at the upper end of my accuracy comfort zone. I think more than 10s out in a day (excepting real vintage pieces) would feel like real underperformance to me. 10s a day would be more than a minute out in a week and, while it might be a bit pedantic, I feel if my watch is showing the wrong minute then it's not really telling me the time properly.

I've just found myself on the HELM website looking at some watches after following another thread and they're pretty nice. I like the Vanatu but reading over the spec I noticed the accuracy: "-20 ~ +40 seconds per day". If I'm doing my sums right that's potentially -2 mins 20s or +6 mins 40s in a week. I realise that the Vanatu is a $275 unit so I wouldn't expect the performance to be COSC but that level of inaccuracy would drive my OCD over the edge in half a day! I'm not knocking the watch per se as we all pay our money and make our choice and we'll all have different priorities and values; it's just that that error potential would rule it out for me.

Made me wonder, how important is this to others? What's your accuracy 'tipping point'?

Omega Planet Ocean 600 (8900)
    Omega Speedmaster Professional
    Mühle Glashütte Teutonia ii Tag/Datum
    Casio A168WA

Re: How much error can you handle?

If it was >5s off a day, I would flip it.
    “If we could be satisfied with anything, we should have been satisfied long ago.”
    ― Seneca

I can tolerate +/- 10 seconds per day, past that though if I cant get it regulated then I would flip it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Those specs are ranges and not coordinates/points because they are not accurate - they are ideas. Companies use them to market their wares (within COSC specs) or use them to minimize performance/accuracy issues (Seiko's 7s26 is about +/- 200secs daily...obviously I'm exaggerating).

The question for me, is not how much deviation can I handle, but how that deviation affects my day. I still use a watch to tell time and date. I have yet to see any amount of "normal" deviation that adversely affects my day. Hence, I can handle Seiko's 7s26 movement with its daily +/- 300secs.

I learned to not sweat the small stuff. Others may not see things that way.
    Last edited by Itubij; May 17th, 2018 at 17:07.
    OvrSteer and Carl.1 like this.
    I do not have a watch collection - I have an accumulation of watches

I'm not a timing freak but I guess I would prefer my watches to run within COSC.

It actually annoys me more to know my watch is way off than it being way off, if that makes any sense.
    "Genius is nothing but a greater aptitude for patience." -Ben Franklin
    Damasko | Hamilton | Longines | Mido | Orient | Oris | Rolex | Timex

Up to +10, +15 is fine by me. - is a bit tighter, because it becomes more inconvenient to "fix", so approx. -5 or so.

It's actually also cost-agnostic for me... I don't really care if I paid £100 or £1000 for it - if it's within the limit, it's OK for daily wearing, if not, then it isn't...
    rodia77 likes this.
    Nomos Club Datum 733
    San Martin Damascus Radiomir
    + always on wrist: Fitbit Inspire HR

Big jump in the choices from +6 to~20

How about a +10 choice?

Have much less tolerance for slow watches. A fast watch is ok.

I could live with +/-10, but would prefer COSC.
    Official Rotation

IWC Portuguese 3714-45 \ Rolex Explorer 214270
    \ Omega Speedmaster Professional \ Rolex Submariner 114060 \ Breitling Transocean Chronograph \ Seiko Prospex SBDC051 \ Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15400ST \ Rolex Datejust 41 126300 \ Oris Aquis Clipperton \ IWC Aquatimer \ Ball Engineer III Legend \ Sinn 104 \ Seiko SARX055 \ Squale GMT \ Archimede Pilot 39 \ Sinn 556

Follow me on Instagram: mtravis38

Don't get into a twist over accuracy ratings. Movements typically rate themselves conservatively so that under worst possible conditions, they'll still be performing within rating.
    Choose a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life because that field isn't hiring.

Fair comment yankeexpress, I wanted the choices to give enough choice without turning it into a huge list. You're right that a 10s would have made sense but I'm not seeing any way to edit the poll now.

Omega Planet Ocean 600 (8900)
    Omega Speedmaster Professional
    Mühle Glashütte Teutonia ii Tag/Datum
    Casio A168WA

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information