How much shock can an automatic watch take?
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: How much shock can an automatic watch take?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

How much shock can an automatic watch take?

Hello,

I recently started wearing an automatic watch. I am wondering how compunctious I should feel after accidentally exposing the watch to erratic arm movements or mild shocks: sometimes my motion can be very careless.

The watch in question is a Seiko 5 with a 7s26C movement, but my question is general.

Thank you.

Re: How much shock can an automatic watch take?

For me the general rule of thumb is, if it doesn't break your wrist, it won't break your watch.
    Unless, of course, the shock occurs on the watch itself, like you slamming the watch onto a wall or something.

Welcome to the forum!

I read that some Omega (or was it Balls?) were tested to 5000g though I don't know if that's an answer.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    I read that some Omega (or was it Balls?) were tested to 5000g though I don't know if that's an answer.
    Naw, that sounds more like a load of balls

Such a variable thing - depends in which plane you're talking about - i.e. edge on, base on or anything in between these two extremes

Also, for me, depends on the value of the watch
    Generally I remove my watch (regardless) if I'm doing something energetic like work lol
    Last edited by watchma; June 28th, 2013 at 00:53.

The pics are on my wife's iPhone...

or I'd post one but last month my family went to a carnival. My little boy asked me to win him a prize by ringing a bell with the circus sledgehammer. I was wearing one of my GPs and took three big swings. The watch was fine and my son got his prize. Most watches are a lot tougher than you'd think, especially if you don't get a mental about keeping them perfectly new looking.

Most shock resistant systems are designed to prevent damage to a watch that is dropped 1 meter onto a hardwood surface. Govern yourself accordingly.
    Watches like G-Shock can take considerably higher impacts.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

I recently found out that F.Piguet based 1185 chronograph movement in my VC didn't like being dropped from just below my waist height (probably about 1 meter). A watch that worked perfectly till the moment of being dropped, after the incident I noticed few changes that would indicate some serious damage.

It took me few days to realise that power reserve went down from about 42 hours to about 20. Turning the crown no longer wound the watch and the watch was losing about 5 minutes per day. Mind you, this movement has over 180 parts in it and being dropped on hard wooden floor definitely isn't favourable..

Seikos do make some very sturdy mechanical movements - although I have very little knowledge on the specific movement you have.

But ideally, you wouldn't want to apply too much shock / vibrations to your automatic watches. Especially if that shock or vibration is applied consistently over a period of time. i.e jackhammering.

Leave those things for watches like G-Shocks. Their watches (certainly the new models with tough movement) get tested for shock and vibration resistance as well as gravity resistance.
    Last edited by systemcrasher; June 28th, 2013 at 02:34.
    AP ROO Montauk Highway 26187ST.OO.D801CR.01
    G-Shock Sky Cockpit GW-3000M-4AER

The limit is somewhere between seeing a shark while surfing and waking up to a bear in its campsite. Or did you mean physical shock?
    watchma, mpalmer, sticky and 4 others like this.

Ball claim 5000G on many of their models, and has developed a new system called SpringLOCK that withstood Eric Singer of Kiss playing a concert.

A surprisingly shocking amount.
    npulaski likes this.
    Current Collection: Sinn U1; Omega Speedmaster 3570.50; Seiko SARB033; Casio PRW-3000-1A, G-5600A-7DR; Jaeger Le-Coultre Reverso Grande Taille; Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical ref. H69429931; A. Lange & Sőhne 1815 UP/DOWN; Swatch Sistem51, and some others...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information