How much tax to pay from usa to uk ? Help
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How much tax to pay from usa to uk ? Help

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hi guys sorry if this is the wrong area to post but im just wondering if anybody can help me im looking to buy a watch from the usa online for 316 dollars does anybody no how much tax i would have to pay and customs fees to get it im based in the uk? If anybody knows could you let me no thanks in advance guys

Re: How much tax to pay from usa to uk ? Help

20% of the declared value (including shipping) plus a handling charge of £10-15
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

If you import a watch from another country customs will slap 20% VAT on it. I have read different figures for customs charges ranging from £0 to £20+ so if you plan on pulling the trigger it might be as well to contact HMRC to see what/if the customs charges will be.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Phone HMRC VAT & Duty Helpline (0300 200 3700) and you are in the know.
    + Fixed import duty of €0.8 (Euros, not Sterling, since UK use the common EU tariff scheme) per watch. When import duties are less than €9, HMRC do not bother collecting them. This means, in other words, that for personal purchases (i.e. one watch at a time), there is no import duty collected.
    + 20% VAT on the purchase price+shipping+insurance (i.e. total amount of money you've spent)
    + Handling fee for UPS, FedEx or whatever you make use of.

Next time you may first do a search here on WUS, import duty and taxes is a recurring issue.
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; August 24th, 2014 at 18:58.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Thanks for the replys guys so in thoery its not going to be in the hundreds as i was imagining lol its should be less than 100 pounds as the watch is 316 dollars plus 25 dollars shipping? Am i right?

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marcust123 View Post
    Thanks for the replys guys so in thoery its not going to be in the hundreds as i was imagining lol its should be less than 100 pounds as the watch is 316 dollars plus 25 dollars shipping? Am i right?
    Maths is yours.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    + Handling fee for UPS, FedEx or whatever you make use of.
    Watch out for this one. Avoid having it shipped via UPS at all costs, as they will add a substantial handling fee to the receiver in order to 'broker' the package and process the importation paperwork (this is a charge in addition to duty and tax). It's a complete scam, and it can be a substantial additional charge that well exceeds the cost you paid to ship it in the first place. I've received shipments in the past where the extra UPS fee doubled the cost of the item (it's over and above duty and tax). FedEx used to be the same, but they have a lower flat fee now. I don't know what Royal Mail would charge, as I don't live in the U.K.
    Last edited by BrentYYC; August 24th, 2014 at 23:17.
    falcon4311 likes this.

Recently had a JDM watch arrive, as everyone else has said 20% of the total spend to cover VAT and then some overhead charge from the courier, mine was shipped EMS and handled in the uk by Parcelforce, from memory the handling charge from them was about £14...
    Good news is there is unlikely to be any import duty as there thresholds on watches mean the duty is seldom levied because it's so low.
    Enjoy your purchase!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcust123 View Post
    When i bought a watch from the USA i got the seller to put a price on of 100 and that cost me just over £20 so you could ask the seller if they would put the value down on postage to 100 that would save you 40 odd quid

Quote Originally Posted by pr1uk View Post
    When i bought a watch from the USA i got the seller to put a price on of 100 and that cost me just over £20 so you could ask the seller if they would put the value down on postage to 100 that would save you 40 odd quid
    Tax evasion is a crime and watchuseek does not condone such behaviour or discussion.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information