How often do you comment on someoneís watch?
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: How often do you comment on someoneís watch?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

How often do you comment on someoneís watch?

Iím sure this has been brought up before but Iím curious under what circumstances you comment to a stranger about their watch?

I was at Trader Joeís earlier and saw a guy wearing a white dial Daytona. I thought to say ďnice watchĒ but then Iím not the guy who usually makes chit chat with strangers.

It made me wonder if most people in that situation would have said something?

Re: How often do you comment on someoneís watch?

I say something every time it is conversationally appropriate. Iíve never had a bad reaction.

Anyone wearing a watch of note likes to be complimented on it if the situation is appropriate (ie, not drawing undue interest upon them).

Iíve complimented folks with Pateks at a dinner party and Panerais in a pool...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, Iíll talk to anyone with a motorcycle but not a watch.
    Someone may be wearing a great watch but have no interest in horology,and so to them itís just a tool.
    srleadjb and svogt91 like this.
    "There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want"

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Never - occasionally I complement people I know on their watch, if they have a new one.

I observe but don't want to come across as a creeper in this day and age
    SeanoftheDead516 likes this.

About once every 'Blue Moon'.

At parties, conventions, work, business meetings - I will try to compliment anything nice/different that I see (basically anything interesting that would lead me to believe someone chose that watch for a reason).

Out in public, shopping, grocery store, restaurants, etc - I pay attention and notice nice stuff but don't say anything.

Quote Originally Posted by srleadjb View Post
    I’m sure this has been brought up before but I’m curious under what circumstances you comment to a stranger about their watch?

I was at Trader Joe’s earlier and saw a guy wearing a white dial Daytona. I thought to say “nice watch” but then I’m not the guy who usually makes chit chat with strangers.

It made me wonder if most people in that situation would have said something?
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/some...k-4674411.html

I’ll say something anytime I’m stirred to do so. I was in my local Starbucks and saw a guy with an Autavia. Given that I was teetering on grabbing that piece, I felt compelled to compliment the kid wearing it. So, I guess if someone really has a piece that strikes a nerve with me, I’ll strike up a convo by complimenting. Otherwise, not.
    Last edited by playinwittime; May 8th, 2018 at 08:08.
    41Mets likes this.

It depends on what they are wearing.
    I complemented a guy on his Sistem51, and he looked at me like a had two heads, and one of them was talking smack about his mother. The confused/offended look on his face was totally bizarre. After a few more awkward comments, he finally realized I was talking about his watch, and offering him a complement, and then there wasnít anymore conversation between us. So I learned not to bother complementing any adult wearing a swatch. If I see a kid wearing a cool, colorful swatch, then I will complement them on it, but no complements to adults with swatches from that point forward.

Iíve made occasional complements to people wearing Rolexes, but then Iíve found that they usually have no interest in watches, and just bought it because it was expensive said Rolex on it. One lady actually said that itís a terrible watch because it keeps stopping when she doesnít wear it for a while, and she needs to keep resetting the time when she wants to wear it. (She needs something with battery & quartz)
    The other times that Iíve complemented Rolex wearers, they have immediately said that itís a fake that they bought at some market, while on some trip. So now, unless I know the wearer personally, I donít bother offering complements when I see a Rolex.

I extended a complement to a guy wearing a beautiful Cartier Santos. He said ďoh... thanks. I wear it because my wife gave it to me.Ē That was the end of that conversation.
    I complemented another guy on his Ballon Bleu, and he was really happy that someone actually knew what it was.

I complemented a lady who was wearing a Panerai GMT (Iím actually not sure which exact model, as Iím not a Panerai fan) and surprisingly she was into watches.

Omega owners, specifically those wearing Seamasters, seem to be happy to receive complements.

I ALWAYS offer a complement when I see an automatic Seiko, and every time Iíve done that, I find that the owner loves watches, and we strike up a conversation.
    Most recently I spotted a guy wearing a Samurai with the red/blue bezel. I said ďhey, nice Seiko.Ē He looked so surprised. He asked if I knew about the Samurai. I said yes. I happened to be wearing my Shogun at the time. He returned a complement, and then told me all about his collection of Seiko divers. That was great.

If there comes a day when I spot a familiar micro brand on someoneís wrist, I will complement the person on it, because most likely they have some interest in watches, and they will receive the complement well.
    sailon01 and Jashley73 like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information