How to Polish your watch?

Thread: How to Polish your watch?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How to Polish your watch?

Just wondering if anyone had experience on how to polish the "polished" surfaces of their watches. Seems to me these highly polished surfaces get a lot of micro scratches. Any suggestions?
    I've read cape cod clothes or something called "Shino" clothes, any experience with these?

Re: How to Polish your watch?

all i use is brasso or some kind of light metal polish, nothing too harsh, plenty of elbow grease,

then soap and water to finish, just ensure your watch it all tightened up if your running it under the tap
    Tag Heuer Indy500 (Swiss Quartz)
    Bench Digital (Quartz fashion watch)
    Omega Seamaster 1959 (cal 562 Automatic)
    CK K8171 (Swiss Quartz)
    Orient CEM75001B6 (Japanese Automatic)

Quote Originally Posted by rybst View Post
    Just wondering if anyone had experience on how to polish the "polished" surfaces of their watches. Seems to me these highly polished surfaces get a lot of micro scratches. Any suggestions?I've read cape cod clothes or something called "Shino" clothes, any experience with these?
    Because scratch removal involves removal of surrounding metal down to the level of the scratch you should be careful not to overdo the polishing. After a while you may find that what were once sharp edges have taken on a slightly rounded appearance.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I use Mothers Aluminum Polish and have always had great success.
    Just got a new watch dance!!

Cape Cod cloth are the best IMO and are cheap (check on eBay). Just make sure to put tape on surfaces that are not polished (like brushed or other) and just rub it! It will take any superficial scratches very easily.
    ~ Daniel ~

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    Because scratch removal involves removal of surrounding metal down to the level of the scratch you should be careful not to overdo the polishing. After a while you may find that what were once sharp edges have taken on a slightly rounded appearance.
    Good point, you would be surprised at how much you can remove, especially if you are removing scratches from an acrylic crystal
    Tag Heuer Indy500 (Swiss Quartz)
    Bench Digital (Quartz fashion watch)
    Omega Seamaster 1959 (cal 562 Automatic)
    CK K8171 (Swiss Quartz)
    Orient CEM75001B6 (Japanese Automatic)

Cape Cod is somewhat too aggressive for my tastes. I suggest Sonshine Polishing cloth. alot more elbow grease, but more refined and completely dry rather than using polishing agents.
    :)

14060m, 16200, Pam48, AT8500, El Primero 1969, Speedy FOIS, Antea KS, Orion Minimatik, ST8000SA Tourbillon, Zeppelin 7618-1

want: ALS Saxonia, PP Nautilus,

Quote Originally Posted by ed21x View Post
    Cape Cod is somewhat too aggressive for my tastes. I suggest Sonshine Polishing cloth. alot more elbow grease, but more refined and completely dry rather than using polishing agents.
    I've been using Cape cod on some of my polished watches quite often without any deterioration of the case lines/edges so far, it's true that I use it for very tinny scratches that require just a few minutes of polishing though, I guess that trying to remove deep scratches would be something else, but it's not what I use it for. I've never heard of Sonshine but will have a look to see. For me, their are never enough products when it comes to watch maintenance
    ~ Daniel ~

Quote Originally Posted by DM71 View Post
    Cape Cod cloth are the best IMO and are cheap (check on eBay). Just make sure to put tape on surfaces that are not polished (like brushed or other) and just rub it! It will take any superficial scratches very easily.
    I was thinking about trying the Cape Cod cloth to remove scratches on my watches that have both polished and brushed surfaces. Are you saying the Cape Cod cloth cannot be used on the brushed surfaces? In that case, can you recommend a product to remove scratches from my watch bracelets that are brush finished?

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjastar View Post
    I was thinking about trying the Cape Cod cloth to remove scratches on my watches that have both polished and brushed surfaces. Are you saying the Cape Cod cloth cannot be used on the brushed surfaces? In that case, can you recommend a product to remove scratches from my watch bracelets that are brush finished?
    You can use brushing pads that do work great on all brushed bracelets and straight case sides and blank bezels but not that good on small parts like lugs. Then you have fiber glass brushing pens that are not bad for small areas but if you brush too hard and for too long with these, it gives an almost polish finish or satin finish. Check Boston Watch Exchange or ebay for these too. I have accomplished great minor case restorations with these simple tools and some patience. My experience with cape cod cloth as been more that rewarding but again, if you have very deep scratches, it wont work. Take your time, practice on a beater if you can or on anything made of SS to see how it works. Always brush in one direction when redoing brushed finished... What i do when i have a watch with brushed and polished finish, I start by doing the brushing and put masking tape on polished parts, then take off the tape and covers the brushed parts I just did and finish the polishing, that way, you will removed the small lines made while brushing, because the tape is likely to lift a bit and the pad will leave small scratches. But be aware, it does take time to do a good job and sometimes less complicated to bring the watch to a good watchmaker, but I personally enjoy doing works like that on my watches, and I find it very rewarding when the job is done to my satisfaction, which sometimes take hours.
    ~ Daniel ~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information