How quick is your trigger finger..... when buying a watch ̿' ̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=(◕_◕)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: How quick is your trigger finger..... when buying a watch ̿' ̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=(◕_◕)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How quick is your trigger finger..... when buying a watch ̿' ̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=(◕_◕)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿

Seems to me people on the forums either buy quickly and decisively or they're more analytical and deliberate.

I see lots of folks with a hair trigger when it comes to buying watches. You know these folks, they're always the first to buy new releases. Gotta love'em since they're frequently the ones that buy new watches and they're the ones who post real world pictures and impressions of new releases. If it doesn't work out, they move it on. I assume they spend a good bit of time taking pictures and selling watches.

For me, I'm definitely the deliberate type. Research the watch, movement, look at real world pictures, ask for impressions from owners, weigh the pros and cons, consider where in my collection a watch would fit, sleep on it, look at upcoming releases to see if something on the horizon suits my needs more, etc. I find the journey and contemplation very enjoyable. I also don't have the spare time to take good pictures and post sales ads, so there's that.

Which one are you?
    Last edited by KronoZen; July 25th, 2015 at 00:21.

Re: How quick is your trigger finger... when buying a watch ̿' ̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=(◕_◕)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿

Below 500 USD, I've pulled the trigger within minutes before. Above that, usually months of waiting, although I did buy one of them within a few weeks of it showing up on the radar and another two at the store where I first noticed them. But above 500 USD I wait and let the "honeymoon" period end and see if I still want it after the first impression has worn off. I also like to try and see the watch in person before buying, which vastly delayed my NOMOS purchase and thankfully stopped me from blowing money on an IWC Portuguese Chronograph. I think the only >500 USD watches I've got that I never saw in person first were my Longines column wheel and the Ball I recently picked up.
    Current Collection - | Ball | Bvlgari | Casio | Citizen | Credor | Girard-Perregaux | Graham | Gübelin | Hamilton | Jaeger-LeCoultre | Longines | Minase | Mühle Glashütte | NOMOS Glashütte | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Undone | Vacheron Constantin | Victorinox Swiss Army |
    Mulling Over - | Minase Horizon | Reservoir |
    On deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary |

Re: How quick is your trigger finger... when buying a watch ̿' ̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=(◕_◕)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿

Buying watches is great but selling them sucks. I used to be fast on the draw but I buy to keep now and am much more careful with my choices. It can take me anywhere from 6 months to two years to decide on a watch.
    vince.cb and watermanxxl like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'll spend months researching movements, examining options, looking at pics, reading reviews, trying it on at AD, etc before making the purchase. The hunt is quite enjoyable.
    Interesting enough, I had a few watches I was considering that I researched and looked at so long that models were discontinued and became impossible to find :)

I've never had a "hair-trigger" when it comes to purchases. I guess that's part of the reason why I very rarely flip watches.

Depends how drunk I am

Every purchase is a well-considered one.

Although I go through the motions of researching it once I decide that want a watch it's more or less a done deal.
    richnyc and HerrNano like this.

it took me a week to decide on a $150 Casio Gshock and half a year to decide on a Nomos Club ref 701 (including a trip to several watch stores in London just to look at one-and I don't even live in Europe). I've already begun deliberations on a watch to be purchased in the year 2020.
    “If we could be satisfied with anything, we should have been satisfied long ago.”
    ― Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    Although I go through the motions of researching it once I decide that want a watch it's more or less a done deal.
    Same here... I do basic research and might step away from buying the chosen watch but can pull trigger very quickly once I'm ready to buy... Case in point, my new GS quartz. I was looking at it last year but it was a little more expensive than I wanted to spend. Forgot about it and when I came back a year later realized the Yen lost some value and I could justify the buy a lot easier. Bought it in a few days after, albeit a different model.

I do it a lot where I get interested in a watch, research the hell out of it and then 'forget' about it. I have a crapload of reviews bookmarked in my browser and watch mag reports downloaded, etc. But when I have a spare money or get that inkling that I need another watch, I just quickly scan my bookmark folder of 'possible wants' and 'possible grails' and usually end up with one from my previously researched ones. It happens about once/twice a year... LOL
    Rolex / Grand Seiko / Tag Heuer / Garmin / Suunto

Very slowly, i take my time and research many time piece's in the same cat and design and then start looking over each watch at the AD.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information