WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

How rare is this watch exactly?

9K views 93 replies 43 participants last post by  Atoning Unifex 
#1 ·
I waited two years for one of these to surface. I finally found one and bought it. I understand that the Invicta 2284's production run was somewhere between 50 and 300 watches. Does anyone know a more accurate number? Just wondering how rare this watch really is...

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
There must be a term that fits for a "rare Invicta."

Yes, I think it is "oxymoron."

Reactions: Hammondo and mikeyc
#8 ·
I waited two years for one of these to surface. I finally found one and bought it. I understand that the Invicta 2284's production run was somewhere between 50 and 300 watches. Does anyone know a more accurate number? Just wondering how rare this watch really is...

View attachment 844508
Basically, Invicta has a terrible reputation here, and everyone here hates it. Their "limited/special editions" are marketing gimmicks.

Do a forum search for "invicta" and some other 4-letter words and you'll see how much everyone bashes invicta.

#10 ·
(Opening a bottle of beer and some peanuts)

Reactions: myke
#17 · (Edited)
What's worse than a smart ass quote that isn't funny is when it's spelled wrong. o|

Anyways, thanks to two of you for an intelligent response. I didn't spend my life savings buying the watch, and no I'm not going to post facebook pictures of it telling everyone that they aren't worthy of being my friend since I own it. I do own a few other watches that I value more. I don't typically like Invictas either. This particular watch however caught my eye some time ago, and I do know that acquiring one was not the easiest thing to do. So my question was in regards to anyone possibly knowing the number that were produced. I apologize if that got some people's panties in a hot mess.

I did find this thread on this forum about this watch, which is probably where I first saw it a few years ago....

https://www.watchuseek.com/f220/inv...tic-2284-gold-mini-review-dragoon-149486.html

#13 ·
Also, keep in mind that even Uber rare doesn't mean valuable. I have a super rare black Dorcy AAA LED flashlight.

There are collectors out there who haven't even seen a pic of one. A few who refuse to believe it even existed in the first place. I have one. It's in mint condition. Value . . . about $12.oo

Reactions: Hammondo
#18 · (Edited)
I waited two years for one of these to surface
. I finally found one and bought it. I understand that the Invicta 2284's production run was somewhere between 50 and 300 watches. Does anyone know a more accurate number? Just wondering how rare this watch really is...

View attachment 844508
There are very few truly rare watches that are also worth something. Watchmakers have over the years played the limited edition game by making minor changes to a core watch, stamping a count number on the back and trying to extract extra $$. Seiko played that game with the Monster series issuing a variety of dial colors, tweaking this and that and stamping a series number. It is absolute silliness. It takes several interested collectors to create the value in a limited production consumer good. I don't think you will find that kind of interest.

#31 ·
This particular watch was made when Invicta actually made some decent watches.I've owned plenty of them over the
years and watched them go down hill to the present day.At the time,this was a Swiss Made watch with a modified ETA in it.
Rare? depends on how you want to define rare.Since only three of them have ever shown up on ebay and only one on the
forums,I'd consider that rare considering that I'm the original owner of the op's watch.I sold it to Dragoon who wrote the review
on it.It sells for more than it did when it was new,so rare? in this context then yes it is.
Congrats to the op on scoring it.
Not all watches are bad.While the owners of the company gives its own brand a bad rap,lets not take it out on the entire range of
watches that the company produces.
Kind of very poor manners by some of the posters to this thread.

#32 ·
I agree. Many companies make a few great watches and a lot of crap, while others make a lot of great watches and a few that are crap. Invicta is certainly the former.
That being said, I have a few Invictas as daily beaters and I've found them to be comfortable and durable.

#33 ·
I don't care what name is on that watch. It's a really nice looking piece and the Valjoux movement is likely a great movement. Heck, my Baume and Mercier Capeland Flyback has a highly modified Valjoux-Perret movement and it's a $7500 watch.

So, to the OP. I hope that really cool looking watch brings you many years of enjoyment. I'd certainly be happy to strap it to my wrist.

Reactions: ShaggyDog
#34 ·
thank you Dedward, Levelman, and RBrylawski for replies that helped. I don't come to this forum that often (as noted by the amount of threads and replies I have posted), I am not as enthusiastic and well-educated on watches as most on here. But I am dissapointed by the responses some receive after asking a simple question... "getting a beer and peanuts" .."kicking my feet up, this should be good" ....Maybe that is why some members have thousands of posts - It makes me wonder if many (or any) of your posts are actually relevant in contribution to this forum. So poor manners of the people that replied, yes, I completely agree. Great way to carry the forum's reputation. :/

Anyways, Dedward, thank you again for the clarification. I figured this watch was somewhat hard to find. I waited some time to find one of these, and as bad of a reputation as Invictas have, I understood the 2285 and 2284 models to be a particular sort of the usual. Is the watch that I recently bought originally from you?

#35 ·
... But I am dissapointed by the responses some receive after asking a simple question... "getting a beer and peanuts" .."kicking my feet up, this should be good" ....Maybe that is why some members have thousands of posts - It makes me wonder if many (or any) of your posts are actually relevant in contribution to this forum. ...
+1

I see short meaningless posts here all the time but you'd better learn to ignore them - some members do have info that you are serching for and are willing to share it, so do not give up on WUS. Another piece of advice is if it's not a "Speedy vs Sub" question then you will get better responses in any specialized sub-forum (your question would do better in Affordable watches) than in the Public forum.

#82 ·
I'm sorry, but I think the last part of your comment is just mean. Just how do you know a lot of them are now in the trash? And even if you did somehow know this, what useful purpose does it add to say this?

#38 ·
If you define rare by smallish limited edition then probably yes. If you define rare by Swiss made skeleton than no. Also rarity does not necessarily correlate with value, and brand/reputation cannot be ignored in any situation.
In the end a watch is worth what buyer and seller agree on. That's why we never get into valuations here.
OP enjoy your watch and if you get it serviced when needed it should last a long time.

#39 · (Edited)
WIS tend to hate and ridicule the USA- Israeli brand Invicta, but the general watch buying public must love them.
As they sell, and sell well!

#45 ·
But the watches should be the same quality, so I guess you mean the After Sales service?

#42 ·
After reading this thread, I feel that some of the sarcastic replies are really not necessary. They're not really helping to answer OP's question(s) at all. I mean, if you do want to mention how others on this forum feel about Invicta's marketing strategies, it's fine to say it but there is no need to be sarcastic (or rude) about it.

People come here to read and post for different reasons. I don't think it's fair to "flame" the guy for asking a question.

85....I love that watch. I don't know if it's rare because I am not a collector but it definitely looks nice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.