How reliable are your mechanical watches?
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: How reliable are your mechanical watches?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

How reliable are your mechanical watches?

Reliability here is defined by constant performance. It doesn't matter how accurate the watch is (I got a warning from a mod once about mentioning precision vs accuracy, but I assume you know what the difference is). Outside interferences like shock or magnetic field can come into factor.

For the first time ever after approximately one and a half year, my automatic watch ran slow. I let it unwind, gently tapped it, turned the mainspring, and it went back to normal (runs slightly fast, like most mechanical watches from the factory). This makes me thinking if I only have one source of timekeeper for some period of time, I probably wouldn't choose a mechanical watch. I don't have any "high end" mechanical. They might be more reliable (should they be?) and thus would change my judgement.

How comfortable are you about relying on your mechanicals? If you don't have a reliable time reference handy like the internet, the TV, or your mobile phone would you still pick a mechanical watch for general wear? That question implies that mechanical watches are not reliable enough, of course you can challenge it with your story/opinion/experience/etc.

Re: How reliable are your mechanical watches?

Quote Originally Posted by Paperclip View Post
    ...Outside interferences like shock or magnetic field can come into factor...This makes me thinking if I only have one source of timekeeper for some period of time, I probably wouldn't choose a mechanical watch. I don't have any "high end" mechanical. They might be more reliable (should they be?)...If you don't have a reliable time reference handy like the internet, the TV, or your mobile phone would you still pick a mechanical watch for general wear? That question implies that mechanical watches are not reliable enough, of course you can challenge it with your story/opinion/experience/etc.

For your concerns, a HEQ (or atomic quartz) watch, instead of "high end" mechanical watch, would be the answer.

Not as reliable as a £10 Casio..
    Breitling Super Avenger
    Breitling SuperOcean
    Bremont MBII
    Bremont ALT1-P
    Casio G-Shock Aviator GW-3000B
    Omega Seamaster 2541.80
    Seiko Black Monster
    Seiko SKX007
    Suunto Core "All Black"
    Suunto Core Alpine Edition
    Suunto Vector
    Tissot Sea-Touch.

"When the weight of the paper equals the weight of the airplane, only then you can go flying."

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Chin View Post
    For your concerns, a HEQ (or atomic quartz) watch, instead of "high end" mechanical watch, would be the answer.
    No, I'm not seeking a replacement for my "unreliable" mechanical watches. I'm just saying that if "high end" mechanical watches are made to be more reliable then it surely would affect my judgement (about not wanting to have the single timekeeper to be a mechanical).

Reliable enough for me, I'm wearing my Lucien Piccard and I've had it for 49+ years. Reliable enough?

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Reliable enough to wear only mechanical watches.

This Timex is working flawless since tens of years,

CCCP, cottontop and Cosmo1 like this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    Reliable enough for me, I'm wearing my Lucien Piccard and I've had it for 49+ years. Reliable enough?
    Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Reliable enough to wear only mechanical watches.

This Timex is working flawless since tens of years,
    Well, I'm glad to hear your stories!

Mechanical watches are not reliable if you are seeking perfection . A low or mid-end mechanical watch will give you from + or - 10-30 seconds a day when a high end mechanical watch is more like 5-15 seconds a day . Quartz watches are more accurate but you don't enjoy the craftsmanship that is put in a automatic or mechanical watch . If you look like brands Like Victorinox or Luminox they make quartz watches that look like mechanical ( pretty massive case size ext.) so maybe there is a compromise . I'm leaning more towards mechanical watches just because i'm fascinated by them and now that the Renaissance of mechanical watches is in fool bloom i hope that they come up with new technologies and ways to keep more accurate time and all.Zonk

Not going to happen. Mechanical watches were as accurate and precise in 1900 as they are today. They weren't as reliable though, since their balance staffs got broken easily and they had no water/dust protection.
    By the way I don't even bother hacking my quartz watches these days. If I want atomic synced time I just check my computer screen.
    Texaspridejb likes this.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by Paperclip View Post
    No, I'm not seeking a replacement for my "unreliable" mechanical watches. I'm just saying that if "high end" mechanical watches are made to be more reliable then it surely would affect my judgement (about not wanting to have the single timekeeper to be a mechanical).

You want to stay with mechanical where possible. So yes, better made mechanical watches are usually more accurate. Typical examples would be those automatics rated to be Chronometers. It is possible to regulate such high precision movements to perform within +1 sec/day. Still no match to the HEQ or atomic quartz watch.

(There are cheaper mechanicals that can be regulated to perform within Chronometer accuracy perimeter but I do not know exactly how long such accuracy level can be maintained.)

Magnetic field. You may like to consider mechanical watches that come with hairspring made from paramagnetic alloy which is resistant to magnetic field. Better still, some mechanical watches are built with additional inner case made of soft-iron which are highly resistant to magnetic field.

Shock. Quartz watches are usually better resistant to shock compared to typical mechanicals. Mechanical watch such as Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon DM2036A-SCA-BK is shock and magnetic resistant but bulky and heavy; very ruggedly built.
    Last edited by Benjamin Chin; August 28th, 2011 at 00:40.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information